Old 03-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Another interview

Quote:
Lessons From Broadway's ‘Bombshell’ MEGAN HILTY
Written By: Robert Peterpaul

“Just be nice.” Megan Hilty says when I inquire my signature question of the most valuable advice she has for aspiring performers. “Be nice to everyone you work with.” Readers should take heed from the triple threat whose extraordinary talent and passion has lifted her to stardom.

A captivating combination of capability and charm, I’d venture to say that Hilty is the closet thing the world currently has to Marilyn Monroe. The ethereal beauty has taken center stage on Broadway with her stellar runs in Wicked, and 9 to 5: The Musical, and lit up the screen with memorable roles in television (most notably: Smash and Sean Saves the World) and film (Shrek the Third). Armed with training from the illustrious Carnegie Melon School of Drama, the gifted and extremely dedicated performer is a talent you simply can’t keep your eyes off of. Whatever “it” is, she’s certainly got “it”.

Megan took a moment from her nationwide concert tour to talk with NYCastings.com about her incredible career, a film adaptation of Wicked, and a Smash reunion. She also sheds some wonderful insight for all you Broadway hopefuls out there…

RP: What was your first paid "gig" and how did you get it?

MH
: I sang at my cousin's wedding when I was 14 - I think they paid me $50 and I sang the theme song from Ice Castles.

RP: What a deal they got! Flashing forward, one of your initial "big breaks" was being cast as a standby for Glinda in Wicked. Lucky for me, you were on the night I went with my family - it was incredible! What's the greatest lesson being in Wicked taught you as a performer?

MH:
Thank you! Following Kristin Chenowith & Jennifer Laura Thompson in the role was terrifying. I knew I was never going to give the same kind of brilliant performance they gave so I had to figure out how to make the role my own and trust that it would be good enough.

RP: The movie version of Wicked is in the works. How do you feel about that? Would you be up for it?

MH:
Are you kidding?! I'm thrilled there will be a movie version of Wicked! It's going to be awesome! Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get an audition for a flying monkey!

RP: If you had Glinda's magic wand, what's one thing you would change about the entertainment industry?

MH:
The need for social media. It can be such a wonderful tool to connect us all and promote what we're working on, but unfortunately too many people use it to tear performers apart and spread all kinds of negative garbage without being held accountable for the awful things they say.

RP: It's no secret that you have a show stopping and inspiring voice. Could you tell our NYCastings’ readers how you keep your instrument in prime shape?

MH:
Well, thank you! The two most important things for my voice are sleep and lots of water.

RP: There are a lot of “Broadway hopefuls” out there. What is something you can tell them that you wish you knew before you were on Broadway and why?

MH:
That my credits don't define who I am. Broadway was always the goal and nothing else mattered. The problem with that came when the shows ended. Who am I if I'm not Glinda? Or Doralee? That's so sad! Now I understand that what's really important are the things outside of work. I can't tell you how many weddings, birthdays, graduations and holidays I've missed because I put work above everything else. Those moments and relationships outside of work make me who I am - not some fancy job.

RP: Working in live theatre of course presents it's own list of challenges. Have you ever experienced a terribly disruptive audience member? How do you power through and focus on your performance?

MH:
Yes - but it wasn't his fault. One poor man in the audience had a heart attack in the second act of Wicked in LA. There was LOTS of horrible screaming. There was nothing we could do but go on - it's the stage managers call to stop a show and I think if we'd done that it would have caused complete chaos in the house. We heard afterward that the man was ok!

RP: A concert version of Bombshell, The Marilyn Monroe musical from NBC's Golden Globe-nominated television series SMASH, will be produced by the Actor's Fund for one night only. Can we get pumped up for seeing you?

MH:
I will absolutely be performing that night! I have no idea what I'm doing yet but that night will be EPIC! I can't wait to see my old buddies again!

RP: Would you consider doing a full run of Bombshell?

MH:
Of course!

RP: I've spoken with a lot of Broadway actors that have issues "playing smaller" for screen work. You've transitioned incredibly well. How do you modify your acting for the camera?

MH:
I think the trick is to not try to "play small". That expression is so crazy to me! We're all actors whether we're working onstage or on camera we're just playing to different sized audiences - in the camera's case it's just one person sitting VERY close to you!

RP: What would you say is the difference in needed stamina between doing a Broadway show and being on a TV or film set?

MH:
Nothing is harder (or more rewarding) than 8 shows a week. It's all about conserving your energy for work at the end of the day. On a TV set you could easily have 16 hr days but there is a lot of down time in between scenes to rest… and go to craft service!

RP: You play Sally in the untitled upcoming Warren Beatty feature. Congrats! What was that experience like?

MH:
It was amazing! It's quite a cast he's assembled - we had an amazing time working on that film. I even got to sing in it!

RP: Did you learn anything as an actress from working with Warren Beatty?

MH:
To always be ready! Very often he would have the cameras rolling while we thought they were just setting up for the next shot!
source

Old 03-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I really wish they would cast Megan (or Kristin Chenoweth) as something in the Wicked musical . I'm sure that the Les Mis movie had people who'd played parts in the musical (not sure if it was Broadway or something else)...

Thanks for the article, I love what she had to say. Especially her advice parts

I find it interesting how she feels about 'playing small' too. I've read a few things where Kristin Chenoweth has discussed the difference between being on stage & being on the screen & if I remember correctly she had troubles at first. I could be wrong though, its been a while, I just remember her talking about that sort of thing . I'm positive that her response wasn't the same as Megan's

On another note - now I know why I liked Snow White's singing in Shrek the 3rd . Had no idea it was Megan. I find it strange when they cast someone for a part & then someone else for the singing parts

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Kristin is (and looks) old for playing Glinda again same for Idina as Elphaba.

On Les Miz movie I know Samantha Barks had already played Eponine in London. Aaron Tveit had already played musicals before (but I don't know if Les Miz too). These are the only two I know....
Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried surely never played Les Miz stuff.

Quote:
I've read a few things where Kristin Chenoweth has discussed the difference between being on stage & being on the screen & if I remember correctly she had troubles at first. I could be wrong though, its been a while, I just remember her talking about that sort of thing
The thing is that acting for the stage is way more "exaggerated": you must be visible and understandable until the last row. An actor must be always "true", but on cinema and tv you have to do less: you have the camera, the close ups, etc...theatre acting looks ridiculous on screen just like screen acting is bad on stage (it's not uncommon to see tv/movie actors who on stage are barely understandable in terms of body language too, non only of voice use). Obviously if an actor always did theatre only it's difficult for him/her to adapt and viceversa.

Quote:
Had no idea it was Megan.
Same

Quote:
I find it strange when they cast someone for a part & then someone else for the singing parts
Not all the actors can sing and not all singers can act it's not the case of Megan, of course. But it can happen. In the Phantom movie the actress who plays Carlotta is not the one who sings her songs (she sang the credits song, though, so she can sing - just not opera). The dubbed version of it wich was released here had different people for acting and singing.

Her advice is always useful

Old 03-10-2015, 01:20 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I wouldn't care what part they were given, I'd just love it if Megan or Kristin had a part in it. Megan could play Glinda still I think though

Samantha Barks is the one I knew from Les Mis, I just couldn't remember her name & can never remember how to spell the character name . Hugh Jackman hasn't been in Les Mis, no, but he has done musicals in Australia & on Broadway. Russel Crowe I know had a band but I don't think he's done musicals. Anne Hathaway's mother was in Les Mis at some point somewhere but she hadn't. No idea about Amanda Seyfried but I don't think she's done anything

Quote:
The thing is that acting for the stage is way more "exaggerated": you must be visible and understandable until the last row. An actor must be always "true", but on cinema and tv you have to do less: you have the camera, the close ups, etc...theatre acting looks ridiculous on screen just like screen acting is bad on stage (it's not uncommon to see tv/movie actors who on stage are barely understandable in terms of body language too, non only of voice use). Obviously if an actor always did theatre only it's difficult for him/her to adapt and viceversa.
Exactly Kristin & Megan just are the only ones who I've paid any attention to who have done both

Quote:
Not all the actors can sing and not all singers can act
That may be true but what acting is required for an animated movie? Plus Megan can act. I think they just like getting big names for things even if they need to cast someone else as the singing parts

Quote:
In the Phantom movie the actress who plays Carlotta is not the one who sings her songs
I knew about that. Or at least knew that it was something & really her singing in the credits. I thought it was she really could sing & you can hear her in the credits, didn't realise she wasn't singing at all in the movie. The person who plays Carlotta I presume usually can sing, they just need to sound worse than Christine

Quote:
The dubbed version of it wich was released here had different people for acting and singing.
That makes sense but is unfortunate

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Quote:
Hugh Jackman hasn't been in Les Mis, no, but he has done musicals in Australia & on Broadway.
Really? I didn't know. His Valjean is so different from the classic Broadway one, he "speaks" a lot while singing.
A,anda Seyfried did the Mamma Mia musical movie, but movies have always a lot of post production...

Quote:
That may be true but what acting is required for an animated movie?
Tha acting with your voice only it's not so easy, because you have to act but you can't use your face or body. Just the voice. And you can't really sound like you're just reading...

Quote:
The person who plays Carlotta I presume usually can sing, they just need to sound worse than Christine
I wouldn't say "worse", just different. Carlotta is a different kind of soprano and of course she exaggerates the "opera" thing - it's always a musical, anyway. To play Carlotta I'm sure you must have some opera training background (which I'm not sure is required for Christine)

Old 03-12-2015, 01:58 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Quote:
Really? I didn't know. His Valjean is so different from the classic Broadway one, he "speaks" a lot while singing.
I was positive he'd done some here, & Wikipedia says he did some in the US on Broadway too. I've only seen Les Mis once & it has been a while but I'm pretty sure he did the "speaking singing" the same in Beauty & the Beast. I have a CD from the Australian version of that musical which is why I was positive he'd done something as I was positive his name was on that (& I was right - he was Gaston). I just put on one of the songs & he is more speaking than singing, or it sounds that way

Quote:
it's not so easy, because you have to act but you can't use your face or body. Just the voice. And you can't really sound like you're just reading...
I guess, that's true. You probably have to act more for animations too

Quote:
I wouldn't say "worse", just different. Carlotta is a different kind of soprano and of course she exaggerates the "opera" thing
"different" & "exaggerated" are better words than "worse". Although at least from the Phantom's point of view Carlotta is bad & Christine is good . I agree with what you said about the training too, going by the parts they sing

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

That must be his way of singing, then.

Let's stop the off topic

Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ivy was my favorite! I loved her, I thought she made a perfect Marilyn
Old 03-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Welcome Nice to have another Ivy fan stop by

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved her. I always felt like she got her part robbed. I thought she was so much better than Karen. Glad they had her win the Tony in the end
Old 03-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Welcome here

Quote:
I always felt like she got her part robbed.
No surprise, you're an Ivy fan I don't have the same opinion

I hoped until the end - even though I had the feeling it would have gone to Ivy - that Karen was the winner

Old 04-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Moderator Support Team

I was such a huge Megan fan. I still adore Ivy and the show tho

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 04-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (Max)

Aren't you a Megan fan anymore?

Old 04-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Moderator Support Team

I still think she is a great actress and singer and earlier on she came close second to Lana but not anymore unfortuantely

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign