Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinzle (View Post)
I don't think so. There were magical creatures outside of Storybrooke. August's story line showed that.

And what did they have to do with the world of the Enchanted Forest or any other lands involving fairy tales? Sorry . . . you may think it's okay. I don't. And as I have hinted earlier, I'm sick of Emma becoming a Mary Sue for this show.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm25 (View Post)
Anyone think that Ingrid should be given a memorial or something? My feels.... all my feels.... that poor woman..... oh my feels!
They didn't give Rumple one when he sacrificed himself last season so no.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
"ONCE UPON A TIME" is an entertaining show . . . or was. But "BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER" is ten times better than it in my opinion. Don't really agree with you on that score.
You missed my point. Both OUaT and BtVS have very similar approaches when it comes to the way they're written... hence why I said they should be used as examples of how to write good stories. The similarities are also very prevalent in that A&E have emulated Joss and the way he himself specifically writes on several occasions, both in terms of the way they've structured the storytelling on this show as well as in terms of the way in which they've handled humor.

A&E may not have the raw talent that Joss does, but they've certainly learned a lot from him in terms of the way they write and the way this show is written as a whole.

As far as your comment about the series "jumping the shark" because they showed Emma subconsciously using magic goes, our world might be referred to as the "Land without Magic", but that moniker isn't truly accurate. Magic DID in fact exist here before Emma broke the Dark Curse, as we found out way back in "Selfless, Brave, and True" courtesy of Tamara and the Dragon in Hong Kong.

Also, re: calling Emma a "Mary Sue", I think you need to go look up the actual definition of that term, because it most certainly does not apply here.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
As far as your comment about the series "jumping the shark" because they showed Emma subconsciously using magic goes, our world might be referred to as the "Land without Magic", but that moniker isn't truly accurate. Magic DID in fact exist here before Emma broke the Dark Curse, as we found out way back in "Selfless, Brave, and True" courtesy of Tamara and the Dragon in Hong Kong.

Then Regina and Rumpel should have been able to use magic. Oh wait. They can't. They're not products of "twu luv". Which goes to show that Horowitz and Kitsis are ignorant of the true nature of love. Like I had stated on other threads, Emma is becoming a magical Mary Sue. Either they improve the writing in Season 4B or I'm through with this show. And since when did Regina knew how to fight with a sword?
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Either they improve the writing in Season 4B or I'm through with this show.
Why are you even watching it at all? I can't think of a single positive thing you've EVER said about it. You also clearly don't like the central protagonist (Emma).
Old 12-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Then Regina and Rumpel should have been able to use magic. Oh wait. They can't. They're not products of "twu luv". Which goes to show that Horowitz and Kitsis are ignorant of the true nature of love. Like I had stated on other threads, Emma is becoming a magical Mary Sue. Either they improve the writing in Season 4B or I'm through with this show. And since when did Regina knew how to fight with a sword?
Because they were under a curse, which ended with the casting of the second curse. Emma was never under the curse.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
Why are you even watching it at all? I can't think of a single positive thing you've EVER said about it. You also clearly don't like the central protagonist (Emma).

I was fine with this show - flaws and all - until this storyline. Until A&E transformed Emma a magical Mary Sue. Season 4B better be more entertaining. If not, I'm not going beyond Season 4. That's all I have to say. Although having Cruella on this show is not helping.

Quote:
Because they were under a curse, which ended with the casting of the second curse. Emma was never under the curse.

Regina was able to use a sword because she was under a second curse?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I was fine with this show - flaws and all - until this storyline. Until A&E transformed Emma a magical Mary Sue. Season 4B better be more entertaining. If not, I'm not going beyond Season 4. That's all I have to say.
But they haven't. Since season 1, she's been spoken of as the "product of true love" and "the savior" and Gold on multiple occasions have said she was "special" and "more powerful than you realize." The story has been that as Emma has accepted who she is and whence she's from, she has gained strength and that is shown via the increase in magical abilities.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
You missed my point. Both OUaT and BtVS have very similar approaches when it comes to the way they're written... hence why I said they should be used as examples of how to write good stories. The similarities are also very prevalent in that A&E have emulated Joss and the way he himself specifically writes on several occasions, both in terms of the way they've structured the storytelling on this show as well as in terms of the way in which they've handled humor.

A&E may not have the raw talent that Joss does, but they've certainly learned a lot from him in terms of the way they write and the way this show is written as a whole.

Also, re: calling Emma a "Mary Sue", I think you need to go look up the actual definition of that term, because it most certainly does not apply here.
Completely agree with you on this one.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Absolute Fan

A couple of notes about the chronology of Emma's time with Ingrid:
* We know she ran away from her group home in Boston in the fall of 1998 (probably October or November given that the first HP book came out in September and both she and Lily had clearly read it by the time they met)

* The 'title card' on the flashback showing Emma arriving at Ingrid's house (which we briefly saw via video tape at the end of "Breaking Glass") said '1999', so it sounds like Emma spent a month or two in a group home (Kevin seems to be the only child besides Emma that Ingrid was caring for, making her home most likely a private residence) while officials sorted out all the paperwork and got her placed
Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Master Fan

I couldn't help but feel sorry for Ingrid. I know she was wrong with the Shattered Sight Spell but she had been thru so much pain already . I enjoyed her flashbacks with Emma and knowing what really happened between them. I'm glad she gave Emma her memories back so Emma could see that her life hadn't been as messed up as she thought it had been. She had a loving home, for however short it was. I still don't know what memories she took from Elsa but I'm glad she gave them back too. Now we head to different territory with Elsa and the other Frozen characters leaving and Maleficent/Ursula & Cruella coming in. Should be interesting to see where we go from here.

"Hey."
"Hey yourself....".
Leticia||icon by me||(x)||(ღ)
Old 12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Absolute Fan

^ Emma wouldn't have acted much differently WITH the memories that Ingrid stole than she did WITHOUT them.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I'm glad she gave Emma her memories back so Emma could see that her life hadn't been as messed up as she thought it had been. She had a loving home, for however short it was. I still don't know what memories she took from Elsa but I'm glad she gave them back too.

Why didn't we see Elsa's memories, as well? Especially since Emma really had nothing to do with breaking Ingrid's spell.

Quote:
But they haven't. Since season 1, she's been spoken of as the "product of true love" and "the savior" and Gold on multiple occasions have said she was "special" and "more powerful than you realize." The story has been that as Emma has accepted who she is and whence she's from, she has gained strength and that is shown via the increase in magical abilities.

There is no logic to this. What the hell does "true love" have to do with Emma being able to use magic in a non-magical world? That doesn't make any sense. In fact, this show's portrayal of "true love" makes no sense. Which makes me wonder about Kitsis and Horowitz's intelligence. Is this show basically an adult drama with magical overtones? Or is it simply for kiddies? What?

And I am so sick to death of "Twu Luv" Emma Swan. She has now become one of the few leading characters of a show toward whom I have developed a deep dislike. I am tired of her getting away with everything, where as other characters have to face their mistakes. I'm disgusted with the fact that K&H decided to change the magical rules of the show, so "we" can be thrilled by some purile idea that Emma is super special and super powerful. I'm getting tired of it. I wish to God they would do something about her character before this show ends.

Last edited by DR76; 12-07-2014 at 11:11 PM
Old 12-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Absolute Fan

^ We didn't need to see the memories that Ingrid stole from Elsa because we'd ALREADY seen them; they were the pre-Curse (post-Urn) Arendelle flashbacks that told us Ingrid's story over the past 10 episodes.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
^ We didn't need to see the memories that Ingrid stole from Elsa because we'd ALREADY seen them; they were the pre-Curse (post-Urn) Arendelle flashbacks that told us Ingrid's story over the past 10 episodes.

We also saw Emma's memories earlier in the episode. If we had to see more of her memories in the episode's second half, why not show more of Elsa's memories, since she was also a part of this thing with Ingrid and Emma. I'm sorry, but Emma Swan is NOT the center of my feelings for this show. She never has been. What makes this even more ridiculous is that Anna was the one mainly responsible for the curse ending.

And let me get this straight. Evil Regina was incapable of breaking her own ward, but Emma could? What on earth? This is as lame as Regina being powerful enough to create a fail safe to Rumpel's curse, but she couldn't get rid of it on her own and required Emma's help. LAME.

This episode frustrated and angered me so much.

Last edited by DR76; 12-07-2014 at 11:25 PM