Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Loyal Fan

I thought Rumple just wanted to be free of the dagger. Now I just don't have a clue as to what he is up to. He has become so dark.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Passionate Fan

That was hilariously funny and sad at the same time. I am actually happy for Ingrid but I have no idea where the story is going but one good thing, Emma knows about the sorcerer and apprentice helping Ingrid. Maybe that will have bearing on the next show?

As to Rumple either he just wants out of that oppressive town or someone else is controlling him.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

This was hilarious! The way Emma so easily used Regina's hate to break the love ribbons. How Henry went totally 'Home Alone' on Hook. Anna needing to coldcock her fiancee. "What am I wearing?" oh and the delivery of "I WAS TEEEEEEEEEEEEN!" "Sorry I tried to kill you." "With a crossbow! You tried to kill me with a crossbow!" My face hurts from laughing!
And also very moving to see how Ingrid bonded with Emma. Since she now has the love of family she could sacrifice herself to undo what she had done.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Graphics Team

Omg this episode was great! I loved everything... but omg the ending My poor bby Ingrid! She finally turned around and then sacrificed herself. I'm sobbing!
Loved the laughing with Charming, Regina, and Snow though.
Jac || Join 9-1-1 ā— Gotham ā— The Wheel of Time
Old 12-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm25 (View Post)
2 hours left for me!

Am I the only person who think's Kristoff's face is hilarious. Probably when Regina comes in LOL. it just has "Oh crap...." written all over it
I came into this ep preparing to sob my brains out, but my face hurts from laughing! This was a hilarious ep!

Lots of funny, lots of emotion, I think the perfect mixture really!

RIP Ingrid. I'm so happy you have the peace you were looking for.

Snow/Regina fight- HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It had a lot of humor and I felt for Ingrid
Old 12-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm SO not reay to let the Frozen trio go! I'm not I'm not I'm noooooooot!

I hope there's a way to cross realms or something in the future, y'know?

My Emma/Ingrid feels- afhsfsfsfhsfsshfsshfsshfsfhfhfhfhf!

Snow Queen is by far the best villian I think this show has, along with Regina/Rumple when they were evil
Old 12-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Elite Fan

My favorite line was Snow's about waking the baby. Something to which all parents can really relate.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Passionate Fan

What Ingrid did was a selfless thing and she should be honored like Rumple should have been last season!

On a lighter note, I loved Snow's sass and there is a gif on tumblr about Snow yelling "I was ten" and the caption said, "Snow White finally saying what the fans have been saying for three years!"
Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Obsessed Fan

One last thought re: the promo. If Cruella doesn't call someone "Dahling" or Ursula doesn't call someone a "poor unfortunate soul" Imma pout SO HARD!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Extreme Fan

This storyline will be over soon. THANK . . . GOD!

By the way, this show just jumped the shark. Emma manifesting magic outside of Storybrooke or other story book lands? When it's not supposed to be possible? That's it. I think my dislike of the Emma Swan character has become official. She's now a Mary Sue.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.

Last edited by DR76; 12-07-2014 at 09:24 PM
Old 12-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Absolute Fan

My review:
In the future, creative writing students should be given two series as 'study material': this show and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because there's a ton that can be learned about how to write just by watching both series, particularly when it comes to balancing humor with drama and when it comes to wrapping up serialized stories.

Depending on how you choose to view this episode's placement in the season, A&E and the other writers either wrapped up the Frozen story arc exactly on or ahead of schedule, but either way, they pulled another page from the "Book of Joss" in doing so.

As with Smash the Mirror Parts 1 and 2 three weeks ago, there was so much going on in this episode that it's hard to know quite where to start in talking about it all, so if some of this comes off disjointed, I apologize.

I would've loved to have been on set during the filming of this episode, because the way the characters behaved as their 'worst selves' was seriously some of the best material I've seen in this show to date, and had to have been a joy to both write and act. I do kind of wish we'd seen a bit more 'in-depth coverage', as it were, of characters beyond just Snow, Charming, Kristoff, and Regina, but when you have as much to get through as this episode did, sacrifices have to be made, and what we got from 3 of those 4 was more than enough to make up for not seeing more craziness from some of the supporting characters. I especially loved the writers finally acknowledging their massive motivational screw-up vis a vis Regina's past, and have to give kudos to both Lana and Ginny for the way they handled the whole thing. I also enjoyed the big swordfight between Snow and Regina.

As if the stuff involving Ingrid's spell wasn't enough, the writers also filled in about 3 seasons' worth of blanks in the course of about 40 minutes (not counting commercials), and, in the process, tossed out a whole bunch of theories/implied assumptions about Emma's backstory pre-Storybrooke, especially with regards to her time in the foster care system. They also made her character a whole lot more complex, emotionally, than she already was.

For starters, it had been previously assumed/implied that Emma 'aged out' of the foster care system before we saw her in Portland, but, after tonight, it's clear that, after Ingrid freaked her out, she just never stopped running. The fact that her relationship with Ingrid - the one good thing in her life before Neal - ended the way it did, BTW, actually makes the fact that she 'took a chance' on letting Neal in all the more remarkable than it had been before given what we knew about her past at the time the writers showed us her relationship with Neal and what happened between them.

While we're on the subject of the flashbacks, did anybody catch the particulars of where Ingrid's house was location-wise (I didn't quite see the caption) and when, exactly, she arrived in Storybrooke (also, what was up with her Nun-esque outfit)?

After "Family Business" aired, there was a little bit of discussion here about when Emma's Season 1 run-in with Ingrid would've happened given that she only wore her blue jacket in a handful of episodes, and we finally had that question answered tonight. With the first season's events happening relatively in real time, Emma had to have visited Any Given Sundae between the end of "The Price of Gold" and the beginning of "That Still Small Voice" (since TPoG is the only episode that aired in November 2011 in which she wore her blue jacket).

It was a pretty fair bet that this storyline was going to end with Ingrid's death, but I was kind of surprised that they didn't just go the predictable route of having Emma and Elsa take her down using magic, regardless of how sympathetic they'd made her character. I did like the symmetry and symbolism inherent in Ingrid sacrificing herself to stop her own spell after realizing that she'd made some seriously terrible mistakes, and all four of the actresses involved in that scene really sold the raw emotion of the moment, so kudos to them.

As I close out my review, I have to ask three questions (all of which stem from the fact that I missed last week's episode):
* Why was Anna immune to the Shattered Sight spell?
* What was up with Henry's attitude?
* Why was Rumple making preparations to leave town?
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 12-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Extreme Fan

Anyone think that Ingrid should be given a memorial or something? My feels.... all my feels.... that poor woman..... oh my feels!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
My review:
In the future, creative writing students should be given two series as 'study material': this show and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because there's a ton that can be learned about how to write just by watching both series, particularly when it comes to balancing humor with drama and when it comes to wrapping up serialized stories.

Depending on how you choose to view this episode's placement in the season, A&E and the other writers either wrapped up the Frozen story arc exactly on or ahead of schedule, but either way, they pulled another page from the "Book of Joss" in doing so.

As with Smash the Mirror Parts 1 and 2 three weeks ago, there was so much going on in this episode that it's hard to know quite where to start in talking about it all, so if some of this comes off disjointed, I apologize.

I would've loved to have been on set during the filming of this episode, because the way the characters behaved as their 'worst selves' was seriously some of the best material I've seen in this show to date, and had to have been a joy to both write and act. I do kind of wish we'd seen a bit more 'in-depth coverage', as it were, of characters beyond just Snow, Charming, Kristoff, and Regina, but when you have as much to get through as this episode did, sacrifices have to be made, and what we got from 3 of those 4 was more than enough to make up for not seeing more craziness from some of the supporting characters. I especially loved the writers finally acknowledging their massive motivational screw-up vis a vis Regina's past, and have to give kudos to both Lana and Ginny for the way they handled the whole thing. I also enjoyed the big swordfight between Snow and Regina.

As if the stuff involving Ingrid's spell wasn't enough, the writers also filled in about 3 seasons' worth of blanks in the course of about 40 minutes (not counting commercials), and, in the process, tossed out a whole bunch of theories/implied assumptions about Emma's backstory pre-Storybrooke, especially with regards to her time in the foster care system. They also made her character a whole lot more complex, emotionally, than she already was.

For starters, it had been previously assumed/implied that Emma 'aged out' of the foster care system before we saw her in Portland, but, after tonight, it's clear that, after Ingrid freaked her out, she just never stopped running. The fact that her relationship with Ingrid - the one good thing in her life before Neal - ended the way it did, BTW, actually makes the fact that she 'took a chance' on letting Neal in all the more remarkable than it had been before given what we knew about her past at the time the writers showed us her relationship with Neal and what happened between them.

While we're on the subject of the flashbacks, did anybody catch the particulars of where Ingrid's house was location-wise (I didn't quite see the caption) and when, exactly, she arrived in Storybrooke (also, what was up with her Nun-esque outfit)?

After "Family Business" aired, there was a little bit of discussion here about when Emma's Season 1 run-in with Ingrid would've happened given that she only wore her blue jacket in a handful of episodes, and we finally had that question answered tonight. With the first season's events happening relatively in real time, Emma had to have visited Any Given Sundae between the end of "The Price of Gold" and the beginning of "That Still Small Voice" (since TPoG is the only episode that aired in November 2011 in which she wore her blue jacket).

It was a pretty fair bet that this storyline was going to end with Ingrid's death, but I was kind of surprised that they didn't just go the predictable route of having Emma and Elsa take her down using magic, regardless of how sympathetic they'd made her character. I did like the symmetry and symbolism inherent in Ingrid sacrificing herself to stop her own spell after realizing that she'd made some seriously terrible mistakes, and all four of the actresses involved in that scene really sold the raw emotion of the moment, so kudos to them.

As I close out my review, I have to ask three questions (all of which stem from the fact that I missed last week's episode):

"ONCE UPON A TIME" is an entertaining show . . . or was. But "BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER" is ten times better than it in my opinion. Don't really agree with you on that score.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Loyal Fan

I don't think so. There were magical creatures outside of Storybrooke. August's story line showed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)

Since she had been cursed once, Anna could not be cursed again.
He was under the curse of Shattered sight.
Rumple's motivations have us all scratching our heads. He states he wants to be free of the dagger and leave with Belle and Henry. His true intentions are up to interpenetration.

Last edited by Jinzle; 12-07-2014 at 09:35 PM