Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Lotte | Giulia #5: Because we'd travel back in time to see Lotte in Outlander!

Welcome to the 5th Lotte | Giulia appreciation thread
Because we'd travel back in time to see Lotte in Outlander!

* unless otherwise indicated credit for all the graphics in the OP goes to May

Supporters
1. Clockwork Angel
2. ~Phoenix~
3. ღEmrys
4. Nonie
5. sanna_o75
6. Vanora
7. Penrose
8. Chrissalaugha
9. sourburst

Source: http://desdemonalovesmoon.tumblr.com/

Giulia Farnese

(*1474 – † 23 March 1524) was the daughter of Pier Luigi Farnese, Lord of Capodimonte, and Giovanna Caetani. She had three brothers and two sisters. Her eldest brother Angelo (*1465) inherited their father's estate in 1487 and married Lella Orsini one year later. Her second oldest brother Alessandro (*1468) was a notary who embarked on an ecclesiastical career. During Giulia's affair with Rodrigo Borgia, Pope Alexander VI, she used her influence to have Alessandro made Cardinal and also introduced him to her friend Silvia Ruffini who became his longterm mistress and mother of several children. In 1534 he was elected Pope Paul III. Her third brother Bartolomeo (*1470) married a cousin of theirs, Iolanda Monaldeschi, and inherited the family estate after Angelo's death in 1494, which he was able to extend significantly. Her sister Girolama (*1466) married twice and was stabbed to death in 1501 by her stepson out of jealousy. Her sister Beatrice (*1469) became a Benedictine nun in 1490 and died in 1507 as abbess of San Bernardino in Viterbo. On 21 May 1489, Giulia married Orsino Orsini, son of Rodrigo Borgia's cousin Adriana de Milà in Rome. Her dowry for the match was 3000 gold florins and their marriage was celebrated in 'The Room of Stars' at Borgia's palace. Afterwards Giulia and her husband lived on the the Orsini estates Brassanello and Monte Giordano. It is unclear when Giulia became Rodrigo's mistress, however, by November 1493, Giulia was living with Adriana de Mila and the Pope's daughter Lucrezia Borgia in a recently built palace next to the Vatican from where the Pope could easily make his clandestine visits. The affair was widely known among the gossips of the time, and Giulia was referred to as "the Pope's whore" or sarcastically as "the bride of Christ." Unlike depicted in the current TV adaptations Giulia was fond of her husband and there is evidence that they enjoyed marital relations. It is therefore unclear whether her daughter Laura (*1492) was her husband's or the Pope's child. The fact that Julius II. (the former Cardinal Giuliano Della Rovere and adamant opponent of Rodrigo Borgia's) had one of his favourite nephews marry Laura might be seen as evidence for the former. In 1494, she angered the Pope by setting off to Capodimonte to be at the deathbed of her brother Angelo. She remained away from Rome, even after her brother's death, at the insistence of her husband. He eventually capitulated to papal pressure, however, and she soon set off on the journey back to her lover. This occurred at the same time as the French invasion of Italy under Charles VIII. Giulia was captured by the French captain Yves d’Allegre, who demanded from the Pope, and received, a ransom of 3,000 scudi for her safe conduct to Rome. Giulia remained the Pope's mistress until 1499 or 1500. At this time, she seems to have fallen out of his favour due to her age. Orsino died around the same time, falling off a roof. In 1506 Giulia married Giovanni Capece Bozzato, Baron of Afragola and Lord of Balsorano whom she had met in 1496 at the wedding of Joffre Borgia and Sancia of Naples. After his death in 1517, she became governor of Carbognano and managed her husband's estates. Giulia returned to Rome in 1522 where she died at her brother Alessandro's palace. She left all her possessions to her daughter Laura apart from her bed, which she left to Alessandro as a cynical reminder of the cause of his ascent. It is unknown where Giulia was burried, however, she was immortalized by Guglielmo della Porta, as part of her brother's bronze tomb. It can still be viewed in Saint Peter. Originally her statue was nude but was covered up later by a lead dress as it was considered too scandalous. The same is true for the statue of Silvia Ruffini, also part of Paul III.'s tomb. Lorenzo Pucci, brother of her sister's first husband, called her "most lovely to behold." and Cesare Borgia son of Alexander VI, described her as having "dark colouring, black eyes, round face and a particular ardor."

Due to her connection with the Borgia family and her brother being elected pope himself later, Giulia is part of many books, movies and television series. For instance most recently:

The Borgias (TV, 2011) played by Lotte Verbeek
Borgia (TV, 2011) played by Marta Gastini
Los Borgia (movie, 2006) played by Kate Sanders
Mistresses – The Secret Power Of Women (TV, 2005) played by Cordelia Wege

On Borgia, her brother Alessandro is played by Diarmuid Noyes, her mother Giovanna by Babsie Steger and her best friend Silvia Ruffini by Laura Fedorowycz.

Lotte Verbeek

(* 24 June 1982) is a Dutch actress born in Venlo, the Netherlands. She won the Leopard for the best actress at the Locarno International Film Festival 2009 for her role in Nothing Personal. For the same role she was also the recipient of the best actress award at the International Film Festival of Marrakech in December 2009. Verbeek received the Shooting Stars Award, the annual acting award for up-and-coming actors by European Film Promotion, at the Berlin International Film Festival 2010. Since 2007, Lotte had several guest roles on Dutch TV shows. In 2010, she played the role of Judith Lescano in the TV movie Le Ragazze Dello Swing. In 2011, she began playing Giulia Farnese in the Showtime series The Borgias. In 2012 she co-starred in the movie Suspension Of Disbelief alongside Sebastian Koch and Emilia Fox. Melia Kreiling, who starred on The Borgias as Giulia's (temporary) replacement as Rodrigo's mistress, also had a minor part in this movie.

Memorable Giulia Quotes

"Beauty can be deadly when well used." – Giulia to Lucrezia
"My husband your holiness, has long been distasteful to me." – Giulia to Rodrigo
"I am still young your Holiness, and my body I am sure, could find and give much happiness as my soul could find peace." – Giulia to Rodrigo
"Your mother is not coming to your wedding." – Giulia to Lucrezia
“All things are permissible, in our dreams.” – Giulia
“Where all roads lead to .. Rome. Your father needs us both, at this perilous juncture.” – Giulia to Lucrezia
Giulia: "Juno?"; Vanozza: "Well spotted, Giulia Farnese. And you are?"; Giulia: "You may call me Minerva."; Vanozza: "Ah! And to think you were Venus once..."; Giulia: "And I soon may be a vestal virgin."
"We will all of us, one day, be replaced." – Giulia to Lucrezia
“Beauty fades, gone like the snows of last year." – Giulia to Lucrezia

Source: the wolves will come again

Previous Threads
{1} {2} {3} {4}

Source: Fᴀɪʀʏᴛᴀʟᴇs & ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT Alex

Spoiler:

Source:
Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome, Chrstine. Unfortunately that pic you posted in spoiler tags is just way too big for the page. I can't even see what was in it.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

I can just have to mess with the right/ left arrows
Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ohh, okay. I see it now. That's a biiiiiig pic of Lotte. Thanks, Christine!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Smart move to put it in a spoiler tags, Christine.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Elite Fan

If I was so inclined I would have edited it

Lotte Verbeek and Caitriona Balfe attend the Samsung Galaxy VIP Lounge at Comic-Con International 2014 X

Source:
Old 08-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Master Fan

OMG that pic is HUGE! do we know when we're getting episode 2? I think episode 1 barely aired on TV but I already watched cause it leaked online.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It's okay, Christine. The pic is fine as it is as long as it's in spoiler tags.

Lotte and Caitriona look really good in those pics.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Elite Fan

Source:
Old 08-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's a gorgeous picture of Lotte, Christine! She kinda reminds me of Jessica Chastain a little.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Master Fan

Another pic:

Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks, May! I certainly hope Lotte has a big role in this considering how much promotion she's doing.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Master Fan

I don't think she has that big of a role in the first book tho, maybe she will later on.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

Lotte will dance almost naked in the woods in Outlander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcweCvZOus#t=17

Has anyone seen the premiere ? it was yesterday