Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Elite Fan

Lotte | Giulia #3: "And a cardinal's hat!" – Giulia, "For you? Have you no shame?" – Vanozza

Welcome to the 3rd Lotte | Giulia appreciation thread
"All things are permissible in our dreams." – Giulia to Lucrezia

* unless otherwise indicated credit for all the graphics in the OP goes to May

Supporters
1. Clockwork Angel
2. ~Phoenix~
3. ღEmrys
4. Nonie
5. sanna_o75
6. Vanora
7. Penrose
8. Chrissalaugha

Source: http://desdemonalovesmoon.tumblr.com/

Giulia Farnese

(*1474 – † 23 March 1524) was the daughter of Pier Luigi Farnese, Lord of Capodimonte, and Giovanna Caetani. She had three brothers and two sisters. Her eldest brother Angelo (*1465) inherited their father's estate in 1487 and married Lella Orsini one year later. Her second oldest brother Alessandro (*1468) was a notary who embarked on an ecclesiastical career. During Giulia's affair with Rodrigo Borgia, Pope Alexander VI, she used her influence to have Alessandro made Cardinal and also introduced him to her friend Silvia Ruffini who became his longterm mistress and mother of several children. In 1534 he was elected Pope Paul III. Her third brother Bartolomeo (*1470) married a cousin of theirs, Iolanda Monaldeschi, and inherited the family estate after Angelo's death in 1494, which he was able to extend significantly. Her sister Girolama (*1466) married twice and was stabbed to death in 1501 by her stepson out of jealousy. Her sister Beatrice (*1469) became a Benedictine nun in 1490 and died in 1507 as abbess of San Bernardino in Viterbo. On 21 May 1489, Giulia married Orsino Orsini, son of Rodrigo Borgia's cousin Adriana de Milà in Rome. Her dowry for the match was 3000 gold florins and their marriage was celebrated in 'The Room of Stars' at Borgia's palace. Afterwards Giulia and her husband lived on the the Orsini estates Brassanello and Monte Giordano. It is unclear when Giulia became Rodrigo's mistress, however, by November 1493, Giulia was living with Adriana de Mila and the Pope's daughter Lucrezia Borgia in a recently built palace next to the Vatican from where the Pope could easily make his clandestine visits. The affair was widely known among the gossips of the time, and Giulia was referred to as "the Pope's whore" or sarcastically as "the bride of Christ." Unlike depicted in the current TV adaptations Giulia was fond of her husband and there is evidence that they enjoyed marital relations. It is therefore unclear whether her daughter Laura (*1492) was her husband's or the Pope's child. The fact that Julius II. (the former Cardinal Giuliano Della Rovere and adamant opponent of Rodrigo Borgia's) had one of his favourite nephews marry Laura might be seen as evidence for the former. In 1494, she angered the Pope by setting off to Capodimonte to be at the deathbed of her brother Angelo. She remained away from Rome, even after her brother's death, at the insistence of her husband. He eventually capitulated to papal pressure, however, and she soon set off on the journey back to her lover. This occurred at the same time as the French invasion of Italy under Charles VIII. Giulia was captured by the French captain Yves d’Allegre, who demanded from the Pope, and received, a ransom of 3,000 scudi for her safe conduct to Rome. Giulia remained the Pope's mistress until 1499 or 1500. At this time, she seems to have fallen out of his favour due to her age. Orsino died around the same time, falling off a roof. In 1506 Giulia married Giovanni Capece Bozzato, Baron of Afragola and Lord of Balsorano whom she had met in 1496 at the wedding of Joffre Borgia and Sancia of Naples. After his death in 1517, she became governor of Carbognano and managed her husband's estates. Giulia returned to Rome in 1522 where she died at her brother Alessandro's palace. She left all her possessions to her daughter Laura apart from her bed, which she left to Alessandro as a cynical reminder of the cause of his ascent. It is unknown where Giulia was burried, however, she was immortalized by Guglielmo della Porta, as part of her brother's bronze tomb. It can still be viewed in Saint Peter. Originally her statue was nude but was covered up later by a lead dress as it was considered too scandalous. The same is true for the statue of Silvia Ruffini, also part of Paul III.'s tomb. Lorenzo Pucci, brother of her sister's first husband, called her "most lovely to behold." and Cesare Borgia son of Alexander VI, described her as having "dark colouring, black eyes, round face and a particular ardor."

Due to her connection with the Borgia family and her brother being elected pope himself later, Giulia is part of many books, movies and television series. For instance most recently:

The Borgias (TV, 2011) played by Lotte Verbeek
Borgia (TV, 2011) played by Marta Gastini
Los Borgia (movie, 2006) played by Kate Sanders
Mistresses – The Secret Power Of Women (TV, 2005) played by Cordelia Wege

On Borgia, her brother Alessandro is played by Diarmuid Noyes, her mother Giovanna by Babsie Steger and her best friend Silvia Ruffini by Laura Fedorowycz.

Lotte Verbeek

(* 24 June 1982) is a Dutch actress born in Venlo, the Netherlands. She won the Leopard for the best actress at the Locarno International Film Festival 2009 for her role in Nothing Personal. For the same role she was also the recipient of the best actress award at the International Film Festival of Marrakech in December 2009. Verbeek received the Shooting Stars Award, the annual acting award for up-and-coming actors by European Film Promotion, at the Berlin International Film Festival 2010. Since 2007, Lotte had several guest roles on Dutch TV shows. In 2010, she played the role of Judith Lescano in the TV movie Le Ragazze Dello Swing. In 2011, she began playing Giulia Farnese in the Showtime series The Borgias. In 2012 she co-starred in the movie Suspension Of Disbelief alongside Sebastian Koch and Emilia Fox. Melia Kreiling, who starred on The Borgias as Giulia's (temporary) replacement as Rodrigo's mistress, also had a minor part in this movie.

Memorable Giulia Quotes

"Beauty can be deadly when well used." – Giulia to Lucrezia
"My husband your holiness, has long been distasteful to me." – Giulia to Rodrigo
"I am still young your Holiness, and my body I am sure, could find and give much happiness as my soul could find peace." – Giulia to Rodrigo
"Your mother is not coming to your wedding." – Giulia to Lucrezia
“All things are permissible, in our dreams.” – Giulia
“Where all roads lead to .. Rome. Your father needs us both, at this perilous juncture.” – Giulia to Lucrezia
Giulia: "Juno?"; Vanozza: "Well spotted, Giulia Farnese. And you are?"; Giulia: "You may call me Minerva."; Vanozza: "Ah! And to think you were Venus once..."; Giulia: "And I soon may be a vestal virgin."
"We will all of us, one day, be replaced." – Giulia to Lucrezia
“Beauty fades, gone like the snows of last year." – Giulia to Lucrezia

Source: the wolves will come again

Previous Threads
{1} {2}

Source: Fᴀɪʀʏᴛᴀʟᴇs & ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT! I forgot I edited that banner.. that's an awful banner
Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

tftnt, Nina.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Elite Fan

You're welcome. And it's not awful. Everything's fine... so move along now.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Master Fan

I used to use awful colorings back then, the only one that's cute is the Giulias banner IMO.

Anywho.. so who thinks we won't get any more Giulia this season? o/
Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Elite Fan

I think they put her on the bus for good.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You think so? I thought I heard there were going to be more Giulia scenes. Why would they introduce her brother, Alessandro, just to give her the boot?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Elite Fan

Because it's a bad show not known for its consistancy.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Fan

I disagree with The Borgias being a bad show, lol, and I'm assuming so would everyone here since this is The Borgias forum. It isn't always consistent sure, but I'd rather they boot Giulia than keep her around for no reason. Giulia isn't that interesting at this point anyway, but maybe that's cause her storyline is boring.

I'm curious as to why you come on here so much and say you dislike The Borgias? Why bother if you don't like the show? I get it's not historically accurate, which you've made it clear you dislike it for that, and you prefer Borgia over this version. I mean I talk about Borgia too, but only because others were discussing it already and I felt compelled to add my opinion. I wouldn't go on a Borgia forum and rant everyday about hating the show, I would think that would be infantile and boring after a while. Do you like anything about The Borgias?

Last edited by Borgia1; 05-19-2013 at 04:00 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Elite Fan

Well, I am also here and I am not nobody. I see you want to pick a fight. But I do not have to explain myself to you. So only that much: I used to love this show and then it turned really really bad and I'm deeply upset at the wasted potential especially when we occasionally still get teased with glimpses of the times when it was good. I certainly have a right to express that. Just one question if you hate me so much and want me off the board: Where were you when the board got almost closed and I made up for almost half the post count just to keep it going? So don't persume to moralise with your narrow perspective of my value to this board.

Quote:
but I'd rather they boot Giulia than keep her around for no reason.
That I can agree on.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Fan

I didn't mean to imply you were nobody, not sure where you got that from what I wrote. I was just curious as to why you stay on this broad when you don't like The Borgias anymore. I never said I hated you either. I was trying to understand why you'd stay on this broad, I was not making this into a personal attack on you in anyway. I didn't mean to imply you aren't a valued member of the broad and I wasn't trying to moralize about anything. From my point of view it's pointless to continue on a forum where I hate the show being discussed. I never said you had to leave the broad, again I think you are making this a personal issue when it isn't. I know I wouldn't stay on here if I hated the show but I suppose there are other reasons to stay like the people who post are friends or whatever.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
so would everyone here
Which implies I am nobody. At least in your eyes.

Quote:
I was not making this into a personal attack on you
You basically implied I am infantile and boring. How that is not a personal attack, I don't know.

This:
Quote:
I wasn't trying to moralize about anything.
and this:
Quote:
From my point of view it's pointless to continue on a forum where I hate the show being discussed.
Clearly contradicting statements.

I also do not understand why you have to drag me through the mire here instead of taking this to PM if you were really interested in how I feel and perceive things. Instead you chose to basically brand me publically in a thread where the discussion has nothing to do with anything the thread is supposed to be about.

And that's the last thing I'm going to say about this here. As I said, this does not belong here. If you have issues, a private message would have been/would be the right forum for discussing this.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Elite Fan

To get this thread back on track and forget about all this unpleasantless – pretty things!

Source: beauty veils the face of war : venus in fear

Source: http://****yeahborgia.tumblr.com/

Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Which implies I am nobody. At least in your eyes.

I meant most people on this forum are on here because they enjoy the show, not that you were nobody.

Quote:
You basically implied I am infantile and boring. How that is not a personal attack, I don't know.
I didn't mean to imply you were any of that, my personal opinion is that it would seem infantile and boring to go on a broad of a show I don't like, not that you were either of those things. I wasn't aware it came off that way.

Quote:
I also do not understand why you have to drag me through the mire here instead of taking this to PM if you were really interested in how I feel and perceive things. Instead you chose to basically brand me publically in a thread where the discussion has nothing to do with anything the thread is supposed to be about.

And that's the last thing I'm going to say about this here. As I said, this does not belong here. If you have issues, a private message would have been/would be the right forum for discussing this.
I asked on here because you bought up disliking the show. I also wasn't trying to start drama, I was asking out of curiosity and didn't think it would explode into such a big discussion. I was just trying to understand your point of view since it's very contrary to my own. I'm sorry if you misinterpreted what I wrote or if it came off as a personal attack when it wasn't meant to be.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I also wasn't trying to start drama, I was asking out of curiosity and didn't think it would explode into such a big discussion.
If that were actually so you could have easily written me a private message. As I said, this has no place here on this thread.

But again, I'm trying hard to get this thread back on the topic of Giulia and Lotte respectively.

Source: http://****yeahborgia.tumblr.com/post/50787976195

Source: Aut Caesar aut nihil

Source: Born To Die

Last edited by Nikki K; 05-19-2013 at 09:50 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread