Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

It could be... But we'll probably never know for sure...
Old 06-14-2021, 12:11 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Unfortunately

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:49 AM
Graphics Team Manager

After endless speculation, we now have confirmation

Mark Harmon Exits NCIS After 19 Seasons Note: Article contains spoilers for this week's episode - only read it in full if you've seen the episode (or don't mind spoilers )

Message from NCIS showrunner Steve Binder: “As an executive producer and dear friend, Mark continues to be an integral part of the fabric of the show. Our north star has always been staying true to our characters, and that truth has always guided the stories we tell and where those characters go. So regarding the future of Gibbs, as long-time fans of the show may have noticed over the years… never count Leroy Jethro Gibbs out.”

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-12-2021, 01:24 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

I'm not that surprised to be honest...
Old 10-12-2021, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

After last seasons finale, Bishop leaving , I finally gave up on NCIS before the new season started. Of course I had read that Marc wasn’t going to be around on screen . So i stop watching it after 17 seasons! Jethro is perhaps the longest running character on a TV drama.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:27 PM
Graphics Team Manager

It explains why they were dragging out that storyline & why they didnt address things properly in regard to the rumours.

He is not the longest but he would be up there I imagine . Off the top of my head - SVU has been on longer & has one original left & another from season 2 (Olivia & Finn). So both of those characters would have been around longer than Gibbs. Detective Munch from that show also would be up there but he appeared on multiple shows which gives him the length. I can think of examples that would be less than Gibbs now but high chance of passing him too. Still impressive length of time to play a character

NCIS is the second longest running scripted primetime drama currently airing & I don't think there is much between it & SVU (it may just be Gunsmoke & the original L&O now). So it would be hard to find many characters that have been around longer at least in that category of shows

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. Almost wished they had just added four episodes to last year's total. And finished off the season than keep people thinking he was coming back. And acting like he was back. Then they could have given both Bishop a better ending. But they wanted to introduce a new show.

And use the show. I guess we shall see what will happen.

But I guess it possible he is back for some guest appearances.

It is going to be a big adjustment.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Jasper1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for that. I was not surprised either that he left though I didn't realize it would be so soon. I am more disappointed with how we finally got to find out how he got his boat out of the basement!!!!
Old 10-12-2021, 11:12 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I think having Gibbs end at the end of a season would've been worse. Then they'd have to hope viewers returned months later. Here there is just one week so chances are fans will double check next week to make sure if it is true & see how the shows feels. They also have a few more weeks before the winter hiatus for those who are willing to give it a couple of weeks chance. The hiatus between seasons would've been a long time & given fans plenty of chance to just choose to not come back. That wouldn't have been a smart move imo. Plus it gave them more of a chance to explore the story & show what life is like without Gibbs. The Bishop situation is a completely different thing - chances are Emily decided she wanted out last minute which is why there was nothing about her departure or a true lead up.

What I read last night looked silly for the boat. At least they answered I guess? Seems illogical though...

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-13-2021, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

True. I know the Bishop thing probably surprised them, although if we had more episodes. We might have gotten a better transition to explain her departure than what we got. I know they probably decided to do this this season. To get people to watch, but then and try to transition, and get people more willing to stay.

Although it more likely to launch Hawai'i. Purely business reasons.

As I think about the boat. It was probably the best option they had available given how they had presented the house over the years. And it makes it a odd sense and something I could believe. Even though there are questions attached.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:13 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Of course it would be wonderful to have the episodes to tell a story properly, but they didn't have that chance. Or Emily is really just on maternity leave & should the show go on will consider returning. Honestly I think they were planning something completely different & actually wouldn't be surprised if that episode wasn't meant to be her departure but she decided that she wanted out last minute. She may have been on the fence so that was why they wrote it that way, who knows. Especially when they are tight lipped on it.

They have plenty of shows to launch Hawai'i off. NCIS isnt even the only NCIS they could use. The only business decision there I think exists is cancelling NOLA & creating a cheaper NCIS elsewhere. Mark Harmon reportedly stayed on to stop them from cancelling & CBS allowed them to try tell this story & see how it goes. If what producers say can be trusted CBS was doing them a favour. Maybe there is other strategic moves for them as good it gives them the best launch for Hawai'i but I don't see it as being an only factor or personally a factor in the decision making at all

For the boat I think fans speculated better ideas for it

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-13-2021, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

NCIS has always been the higher rated of the shows. So, if they were going to launch a new show. And they did decide on Hawaii at a very late for them to even broaching the subject of a new show, and give it a September date. And given to date Hawai'i seems in the model of the original show compared to the others. They would want it. They even admit it that was one of the reasons behind the move to Monday. To use NCIS to launch Hawaii. On a night that has been giving them problems. Now, I think Wolf wanted a all three show night. And demanded it. So, CBS had little choice. Knowing Mark would be leaving. It gave them an opportunity.

I get Mark wanted to stop the network from cancelling. But I think that in a way is what they should have done. To end the show with Gibbs still running the team, or on his last day before retirement. But we shall see if the show can continue without Gibbs.

I hope it does.

I do not think Hawaii is that much cheaper since they have to film on location in Hawaii. And they were filming in location in New Orleans. But the contracts for the cast IS cheaper for Hawaii. And added to the protocols for shooting during a pandemic. So it is a costly business, but they were trying to continue the franchise.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Maybe Like I said in one of the threads - I don't try understand choices channels make

I am led to believe that the cost of producing a show in Louisiana is a lot more expensive than in Hawai'i. I am not knowledgeable about that though, just going by what I have been told. Either way it was a gamble to cancel NOLA & start a new show - especially if they knew this may be the last season for NCIS

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawai'i was in the works back when NCIS did the Pearl Harbour episode personally

Personally I would prefer what you did say in the other thread with the show ending with his retirement. But I also look forward to seeing what they do now too

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-13-2021, 06:37 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah I'm not surprised he left cause we all knew it was coming, I still wish he kept his dog and went to take care of the kid . I felt they had a great idea for the ending last season and this season he had to kind of come back so the show can move on without him ..

I think a lot of fans are sad by this to I mean I like Gibbs and I wouldn't mind the show without him if Tony was still in the show cause he can run the show without Gibbs.

The boat is funny
Old 10-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was not aware that Emily is pregnant. It could explain the sudden departure. Maybe it opens up the possibility maybe later this season revisting the storyline. Although obviously she wants to concentrate on her family. And it came just as her contract was up, so it makes sense why she chose to leave...

It was just so sudden.

CBS is all about the franchises. It keeps the NCIS one alive. Even if this the last season of the mothership. LA does not have much life left probably. Depends on how long Chris and LL decide to stay. Can't see them keeping the show if they were to leave.

Adds to the syndication. And these types of shows are comfort viewing. I think Hawaii has to cost something because it about having to keep everyone on a island away from the mainland. Cast has to move there. But they have a studio set up there due to Hawaii 50 and Magnum. So they have the infrastructure.

I wish they had thought to do the Gibbs story a different way. But it probably got him thinking of what was like to be without the job. Still he came back for one more case, and he's just decided it was time.

But it opens up possibility for Mark to come back for guest shots.

I guess he wanted CBS not to make a big deal. Which is why the network waited for the episode to air before they announced. Most networks would have wanted to promoted it in advance. Mark did not want it.

So, it opens up for maybe more episodes. I guess we shall see.
Reply   Post New Thread