Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Total Fan

It's impossible to have a "one meal fits all" anymore. We see so many gluten free products available..........my granddaughter was really surprised when she was with us at church Easter and there was a special isle to receive communion with gluten free wafers.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Master Fan

You're right keepsmiling I didn't even think about the bread and people who gluten free. My friend in FL's fellow has celiac disease and has to be so careful about gluten. I think Jason's wife can't eat wheat either. It's good that so many products are available now. They even have gluten free matzah for Passover!! But now people have jumped on the bandwagon (esp Hollywood types) and decided gluten is bad for everybody, so even people who have no reason to eat gluten-free are giving it up.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Elite Fan

just lost my post....ugg too frustrated to redo yet but I'll try to bbl
Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Master Fan

OH great news, turns out the stupid 8-foot sub was NOT the free lunch that was promised, that happened today, and it was Thai food, and there was something for everyone (pork, chicken, vegetarian) and the stuff I tried was yummy.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

That is good news ML....given they all work in the health industry....right? ....good thing they did it right!

So I can't remember what I said before

We now have gluten free rice crackers instead of little bread cubes and it is so comical to me every time we have communion when lots of ppl crunch away together.

I had the coolest experience in the church in Emily's very diversified neighborhood on Easter morning in DC. They live in a "gentrifying" neighbor hood. A very historic black neighborhood that is turning over to white yuppies. Very sketchy in places but then there are cool restaurants and doggie daycares .There are also evidently lots of different nationalities. I LOVED this church. It was a cool beautiful old church and very young. Most of the ppl are in their 30s and 40s. The musicians were really good and they had a wonderful blend of praise ( modern not hymns) and classic hymns. The coolest thing was how diverse the congregation was Maybe 1/3 or more black then lots of Asian of many varieties, middle eastern and white. The pastor was Asian American and preached with a real touch of the way black pastors do....emotional and really emoting. The coolest thing is he had the congregation a classis call and repeat and then he asked people that spoke a different language than English to stand and say it in their native tongue. At least 20 people stood up...several European, Asian,German, Sweadish, several African. etc even an Arabic lady. So cool. It felt like what Heaven will be like with believers from every nation and creed. Very moving.

Aunt Millie is awesome

Barbara is so fortunate in your kindness and it is good to be kind. Win win

Nice you had your granddaughter for Easter Church keepsmiling
Old 05-05-2017, 04:42 AM
Elite Fan

good thing our MODs are good about not calling us out for double posting cause it is tough not to these days on the JOFs

I'm off to Liz this morning and will be there all weekend.....Walter going to Nashville.

I'll try to post a little from my phone if I get a chance.... have a good weekend.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Master Fan

Heading out early for a stress test the doctor wants me to get - hoping I don't fly off the back of the treadmill (lol, I typed 'dreadmill' Freudian slip?) I don't even walk fast, never mind run on a machine like a hamster....

We had a good visit with Aunt Millie (who is 91 and still gracious and stylish as ever).

That church sounds wonderful PodMom - there is a black church up the hill from us, and always see the church ladies with their fabulous hats and outfits when we drive by on a Sunday, and I saw some people leaving and the guy had a bible and a tambourine and I thought "I bet I'd really enjoy the services at that church!"
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Total Fan

ML......how did the stress test go?

WEN......hope things are going better for you.

PODMOM........are you still at Liz's helping out with the grandchildren?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Elite Fan

ML Yes how did it go and why...just standard practice? I hope!

keepsmiling I got back around 9 last night...I'm recouping. It was a busy 3 days and it is always physical....I'm sore. How did your weekend go?

Yes we all do hope Wen is recovering!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Master Fan

I think Wen is doing better and is back home from her cat sitting duties to her own place. Healing up slowly, but healing up! And getting ready for a fabulous Mother's Day I'm sure.

Had some chest pain that I think was indigestion or something and doctor wanted a stress test. I was nervous about it, never using a treadmill (or working up a sweat if I can avoid it - lol) but the tech was very nice and it went fine. I walked, my heart rate went up, they recorded it, normal. Done. Next I get my eyes checked and a bone density!

Poor Mr ML is falling apart lately though, lost a big filling/needs a crown, pulled a muscle in his leg jogging, and seeing a doctor today for a guy problem that has bothered him off and on since high school or so (sigh). Need to get everything fixed while I still have health insurance. He also had that weird macular 'pucker' in his eye (not degeneration exactly) that the doctor is watching - I think that is getting worse too. After 65, it is definitely DOWNHILL!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Elite Fan

yea the 60s stink and I don't see it getting any better

I take it you don't have a retirement package with health insurance ML ? Which is too bad since you have worked for them so hard for so long

I had a million tests in my late 40s for that kind of pain. I would get pain in my chest whenever I ate at all........I lost significant weight fast. I thought it was gallbladder but once you get in the Dr loop the tests start happening. ...after a stress tests and many other ..bottom line...stress. Stress can really mess you up physically and you have the stress of your job ending and the unknown of that lurking in your mind. I'm sure you will be great it is just that change is uncomfortable.

Thanks for letting us know Wen is improving.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Total Fan

The reason for stress are not always easy to detect.
And trying to relieve stress is next to impossible.
You young women need to take good care of yourselves. It will be a long time before you reach my ripe old age, and then you just won't care.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Master Fan

Hospital has a pension, which is something most employers got rid of long ago, so I'm grateful for that, but no, there's no 'package' per se, you're on your own figuring out Medicare and what supplementary plans you might need with it. Then again, when I first started here, they provided free health care for all employees, but they cut that out pretty quickly! (There are a LOT of employees)

I don't feel that stressed now, but I suppose I'll feel a lot less stressed once I stop working (here's hoping!) But there are always things in life happening, to stress a person out... No/less money in retirement should be a big one.

LOL, yes I saw a thing someplace that said "After 60, it's patch, patch, patch!" ;p
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsmiling7 (View Post)
The reason for stress are not always easy to detect.
And trying to relieve stress is next to impossible.
You young women need to take good care of yourselves. It will be a long time before you reach my ripe old age, and then you just won't care.
And our wise one speaks truth!!!!

Yup....patch patch

I have to get hand surgery soon for a weird broken little vein cyst type big bulge on my right rinfgfinger..it is a pain. The draing didn't cut it. It will be an annoyance for a coupe of weeks and numb for who knows how long but hopefully it gets better eventually ...patch

I think you will love retirement ML
Old 05-10-2017, 06:09 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM.......that hand surgery sounds more complicated than you make it. Hope you won't be inconvenienced too long.

ML.......health issues are a legitimate concern as we pile on the years. And it happens for the younger ones too. I'm so glad my son-in-law has great insurance with Chevron as he battles pancreatic cancer. His medication is unbelievable.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread