Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Hi everyone!

I don't think I've posted on this thread before, but since I'm such a fan of romance I thought that I would join in [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favourite authors

Julia Quinn - I simply love her Bridgerton series and am looking forward to her new novel that has just been released.

Julie Garwood - It was her novels that first got me into romance and I must say that I've been a big fan ever since - I sincerely hope that she will return to historical writing though!

I can't think of a third!

Historical/contemporary

Definitely historical. I've read a few contemporary novels, but haven't been able to get into them as much as historicals.

Kerry
Old 07-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm shocked that noone has mentioned Sandra Brown she's one of the best out there. She's really great at incorporating a real story (mainly political mystery) around her love stories.

Danielle Steel is ok too. I think the best thing I read by her was Rememberance. It was very sad, but very good.

[ 07-23-2003: Message edited ursa major ]

Experience the Legacy
Old 07-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Hey! I just stumbled upon this thread, this is exactly the type of thread that I am looking for!

jjt - Thanks for the great links! Checking them out now!

Who are your top three Romance Novelists? (In no particular order!)

Nicholas Sparks
Nora Roberts
Judith Mcnaught

Do you prefer modern day or historic romance?

I would have to say Historic. I'm a Fantasy as well as a Sci-Fi freak, and I love a book that will take me away, to a different setting, and a Historic romance will do just that. I'm also a hopeless romantic so the two combined are just great, though I prefer a Fantasy/Sci-Fi Romance above all, Historic before the Modern Day. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hmm. I don't really have a romance that I am reading right now, so I was just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for the sort of story involving two people from different sides of the tracks? That's one of my particular favourite types of romance.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by In Fair Verona:
<STRONG>Hmm. I don't really have a romance that I am reading right now, so I was just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for the sort of story involving two people from different sides of the tracks? That's one of my particular favourite types of romance.</STRONG>
Since you say you like SF and fantasy, along with your romance, I recommend Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro and Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (which is out of print as a stand-alone, but is in the omnibus Cordelia's Honor). Both feature romances between people from vastly different cultures, who would normally be enemies.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:36 AM
Master Fan

In Fair Verona, Jayne Castle writes sci-fi paranormal stuff. She also writes under the names Jayne Ann Krentz for contemporary and Amanda Quick for historicals. Silk and Stone by Deborah Smith have 2 people from different sides of the track. Most of her books are like that. Another that comes to mind is A Place To Call Home.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:54 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by In Fair Verona:
<STRONG>
story involving two people from different sides of the tracks? </STRONG>
The JD Robb In Death books would fit that bill .. and I highly recommend them.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm reading the Velvet series by Jude Deveraux right now. I ask myself, why haven't I read them sooner? I didn't have work today, so I started the first book this morning and could not put it down. I'm half way in the Highland Velvet right now. Very good stuff [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday and looked for a book by Penelope Williamson (since quite a few her love her books), but I couldn't find any. StellaSlight and Doggie, which book of her's do you like the best so I can pre-order it.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Master Fan

I love the Velvet Series katgurl. The first two are my favorites.

I think I'll try a Penelope Williamson book too.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie:
[QB]
Charlaine Harris- Sookie Stackhouse series, 'nuff said.

QB]

Dude, Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse series rocks! I can't wait for the 4th novel, Dead to the World. Plus, I'm a huge Sookie/Eric shipper. How can you not love a hot Vampire Viking with a sense of humour and eroticism dripping from every word he utters? He makes me melt.

My favourite authors:

Charlaine Harris - biting sense of humour, strong heroine and a wonderful ensemble cast makes for a really fun read

Elizabeth Peters - the Amelia Peabody series is excellent, and Ramses Emerson may just be the hottest man ever.

Can't think of a third, either. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I'm hoping you guys can help with some recommendations. I like books with a strong heroine, a sense of humour, and a touch of the paranormal -- ESP, Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts, whatever - it's all good!

I'm not interested in the Anita Blake series. I've read many a review that say the most recent books suck, and they are all about sex. While I don't mind a hot roll in the hay, I want to read something that has a great plot and character substance to go with that. Any suggestions?
"...You looked so lovely in your jean skirt, mini-frock ensemble. So lovely that it made me forget that I am a horrible murderer and unholy creature of the night for 10 entirraah minutes. You are my miracle. xo Bill."
P.S. Eric is Evil."
--io9.com
Old 07-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by katgurl:
<STRONG>
I was at Barnes & Noble yesterday and looked for a book by Penelope Williamson (since quite a few her love her books), but I couldn't find any. StellaSlight and Doggie, which book of her's do you like the best so I can pre-order it.</STRONG>

My personal favourite by Penelope Williamson is
Keeper of the Dream. Heart of the West is another favourite of mine, but the first one is really really the best. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Jennarose, oh you should definately try a Penelope Williamson too! Tell me what you think of it then! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2003, 01:42 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by -Hobbes-:
<STRONG>
I'm hoping you guys can help with some recommendations. I like books with a strong heroine, a sense of humour, and a touch of the paranormal -- ESP, Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts, whatever - it's all good!
</STRONG>
That's exactly the sorta books I get into. So I wouldn't rule out the Blake series if I were you. Cause I'm quite obsessed with it. Even the later books aren't all sex. Though due to circumstances beyond her control. That does play a big part in the last couple books. But I'm hopeful that it'll get back on track soon. Plus that's just the last two books .. the first 9 are awesome. imho

The Merry Gentry series by the same author .. has more sex actually but it fits the character and the story. So it doesn't seem forced or out of place.

I really didn't like Harris's Living Dead in Dallas at all. So I'd skip that southern vampire series.

I liked the first book by Armstrong, Bitten. But haven't read the second yet .. and it really changes gears. But that series has potential since she's going for a women of the paranormal series.

We need more were/vamp stories.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Hello Everyone [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

StellaSlight and Soz, remember me?

Sorry for not stopping by and saying hello for a while.

I haven't read any of the books you both recommended to me. But I'll be sure to buy a book next week when I get paid. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by -Hobbes-:
<STRONG>

Dude, Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse series rocks! I can't wait for the 4th novel, Dead to the World. Plus, I'm a huge Sookie/Eric shipper. How can you not love a hot Vampire Viking with a sense of humour and eroticism dripping from every word he utters? He makes me melt.

</STRONG>
Cool, a fellow Sookie lover. I too ship Sookie/Eric. It's not that I don't like Bill, well before he cheated on her anyway, but Eric is just much more interesting. Mmmm, Viking vampire [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]. I think I like the idea that he would change, not drastically, because I love him as he is, but that he could be felled by love. And their scenes crackle with chemistry. I actually want to skip pages just read their scenes.

katgurl, I agree with Stella, Keeper of the Dream is the book I would start with. Really, all of Williamson's books are amazing, but this is one of her best.

[ 07-26-2003: Message edited Doogie ]

-- Butterflies and Hurricanes ~ Muse
Old 07-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Saiyan_Princess:
<STRONG>

StellaSlight and Soz, remember me?
</STRONG>

Hey [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]
How are you? It's okay if you haven't read any of those we recommended [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] What did you read else?

Doggie, my Williamson-lover fellow [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Keeper of the Dream is indeed the best [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] I can't help laughing and crying everytime I read it. Such a wonderful 'fairy tale'. BTW I have to say that you make wonderful avatars! My fellow-posters in the Classic Thread Couples (Couples) posted some of those you made with Ingrid Bergman, Katharine Hepburn, Gene Kelly, Gregory Peck... those were wonderful! You're very talented [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anne
Old 07-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by StellaSlight:
<STRONG>

Hey [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]
How are you? It's okay if you haven't read any of those we recommended [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] What did you read else?

Anne</STRONG>
Actually, I bought "Cane River", it's basically a true story about four women that lived through slavery and remained strong. You know I love anything that's historical. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/cat.gif[/img]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread