I am very happy for Kurtwood.
I am an original”
Old 05-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Elite Fan

Super happy about this! And of course happy that Kurtwood has another hit show
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
Old 05-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Dedicated Fan

It really is exciting news! I’m eager for the next season to start and it’s only wrapped up a week or so ago. Last Sunday I missed the weekly episode lol

Oh and it looks like the show has been picked up with a bigger season with 15-16 episodes AND it will be back in the fall! I had been worried we’d have to wait until Spring time again.

The DVD for the first season of Resurrection will also be out soon—June 10, 2014. And it’ll include deleted scenes, cast interviews, AND bloopers I can post up the link if anyone is interested.

Lots of buzzing news for the show and it’s exciting now if only it could get some award nominations!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannygirl704 (View Post)
Oh and it looks like the show has been picked up with a bigger season with 15-16 episodes AND it will be back in the fall! I had been worried we’d have to wait until Spring time again.

The DVD for the first season of Resurrection will also be out soon—June 10, 2014. And it’ll include deleted scenes, cast interviews, AND bloopers I can post up the link if anyone is interested.
Really cool info, Prissy! Thank you for sharing. And I'd like the link.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Dedicated Fan

So since Resurrection's season is over and the DVD isn't out yet I went around looking for updates and news and found this really great interview with Kurtwood Smith.

Reading it, informed me of things I didn't know about KS including he he got his twitter name tahtismith. Pretty interesting story there.

I really loved what he had to say about Red Forman though...

Quote:
He paused for a bit before explaining what made Red so memorable. “The thing that makes him work is the fact that even though he’s always giving these kids a bad time, you know he loves these kids, all of them. He was always the neighborhood dad as well as the dad of Eric.”
Here's the link: ‘Red’ alert | Inquirer Lifestyle
Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww, I love the part you quoted, Prissy! Red as the "neighborhood dad". I'm not sure Red loved Kelso, Fez, or Jackie, though. Hyde and Donna? Sure. Jackie he cared about because of Hyde and Kitty (because, man, Red's cut dialogue to Jackie in "Misty Mountain Hop" is freakin' harsh).
Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks, Lisa. I really loved the interview as a whole but that was probably my favorite part.

I think KS hit the nail right on the head when describing Red’s character. It’s definitely how I think of Red and so reading that he thought similarly really made me happy.

I do think that Red loved all the kids. Maybe not all in the same way and I’m sure he loved them some more than others but he loved them and that included Kelso, Jackie, even Fez. It may not have been the ‘I’m so lucky to have you in my life’ kind of love but it was fatherly kind of love where he helped them when they needed help. Of course, he’d grumble about it and such and it would take Kitty to push him a bit but that’s also because that’s the kind of man Red is. He’s not gonna openly go up to a kid that’s not his and give him some Ward Clever advice.

We saw quite a bit of moments when Kelso and Red got along. Red even said Kelso had more fun the rest of them combined, and he said with with a kind of admiration. Now he may not have liked it when Kelso dated Laurie but maybe that’s more of how for some fathers no man is ever really good enough for little girls—I can see Red being this way. Also Kelso grew up with Eric and so Red’s watched Kelso grow up just as he saw Laurie, Eric, Hyde , and even Donna.

Jackie…we saw a few moments between her and Red…I think even fewer than ones with Kelso but I can see Red looking out for Jackie because just like her father wasn’t always around neither was Laurie. And I think I can remember you telling me about that cut dialogue but I can’t exactly remember it (sorry!) but maybe that’s why the line was cut because it didn’t fit with Red’s character or the kind or relationship he had with Jackie.

Now Fez… lol even fewer moments there but I can remember a few like when Red gives him advice about Big Rhonda and kinda helps sober him up and the two of them helped give Eric advice on Donna in an early episode. But Fez did help give Red his heart attack so I think he might be the least loved but not unloved lol

Red being the neighborhood dad to the kids I think fits perfectly because yes, these kids annoy and bother him and he complains about them and such but kids do that to their parents. I’m not a parent but from what I’ve seen in TV and real life, kids are gonna drive you crazy, they’re gonna make you angry, they’re gonna annoy it just like it’s a parents job to take care of their kids, it’s kind of the kids job to keep parents on their toes.

I’ve always thought that Red thought of the others as part of his family, maybe he wouldn’t admit it but he does.

This is one of my favorite stories that talks about Red’s relationship with each of the kids: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5447531/1/My-Kids
Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the fic link, Prissy!

I understand how one can interpret Red as having love for all the kids. My personal opinion is that, especially after season 1 -- though he cared about them -- he didn't love Kelso, Fez, or Jackie. But had Red maintained his more complex characterization of the first season, we might've gotten scenes where Red's relationships with Kelso, Jackie, and Fez were developed more positively. I would've liked to see that.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

I would have liked to see more scenes with Red and Jackie, especially after the career day scene.
I am an original”
Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I would have liked to see more scenes with Red and Jackie, especially after the career day scene.
And especially once Jackie and Hyde start dating. I wanted to see Jackie and Red bond over cars s'more instead of her being retconned to "Ew, grease!"
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
And especially once Jackie and Hyde start dating. I wanted to see Jackie and Red bond over cars s'more instead of her being retconned to "Ew, grease!"
The "Ew, grease" thing, I remember thinking about the writers, do you remember ANYTHING about these characters??? Jackie really liked working on that car with Red in S1.

I too would have loved to have seen more Red/Jackie interaction, or hell, ever more Bob/Jackie interaction when her father was arrested. She was basically alone until Pam came back, and let's be honest, still was pretty alone. You'd figure that the adults would have stepped in more to take over that role.
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiehydelover (View Post)
The "Ew, grease" thing, I remember thinking about the writers, do you remember ANYTHING about these characters??? Jackie really liked working on that car with Red in S1.
Exactly. Jackie being good with cars/enjoying working on them was a great dynamic to her character. Made her more three-dimensional, and there was a lot of potential lost there. She and Red could've related to each other through cars -- as well as her knowledge/enjoyment of cars been another thing connecting her to Hyde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiehydelover (View Post)
I too would have loved to have seen more Red/Jackie interaction, or hell, ever more Bob/Jackie interaction when her father was arrested. She was basically alone until Pam came back, and let's be honest, still was pretty alone. You'd figure that the adults would have stepped in more to take over that role.
It's true. We should've gotten at least one episode with a Jackie/Bob story in S6 -- before Pam came back to town. Something representative of their relationship.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Exactly. Jackie being good with cars/enjoying working on them was a great dynamic to her character. Made her more three-dimensional, and there was a lot of potential lost there. She and Red could've related to each other through cars -- as well as her knowledge/enjoyment of cars been another thing connecting her to Hyde.
I wish they continued that in later seasons. Jackie could've taught Hyde something about cars or maybe helped him fixed the El Camino. I like that she enjoyed working on cars with Red.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanselnext (View Post)
I wish they continued that in later seasons. Jackie could've taught Hyde something about cars or maybe helped him fixed the El Camino. I like that she enjoyed working on cars with Red.
I would've loved to see Hyde's shocked face in S5 (or even S3) when Jackie helped him with the Camino. Making her good with and interested in cars would've been a great way to flesh Jackie's character even more.

Maybe Kitty would even seek out Jackie's help when Red was in a bad mood. Jackie could perk him up by talking cars with him (or working on a car project with him).