Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSC (View Post)
I completely agree. Show already promises us more Mash in the second half, so I'm very optimistic
It's obvious that first half should have been dedicated to FM and I like how their bond wasn't dragged for whole season. The sooner FM are established the faster triangle will start. I'm actually happy it didn't took us so much time as in TVD. But I guess it's due to ratings. TVD was always safe, while Reign is a "bubble" show. Writers had to make some events happen really fast, but I don't care about it as long as Mash is developing and growing.
or you know history. Granted the show is taking a lot of creative license but its still supposed to be about Mary Queen of Scots.

They key difference is that MB haven't really had a slow burn. They've already macked. The PJ comparison would make more sense if we were in like s2. But, I guess we'll see. No doubt MB are getting their development but there are other kinds of traingles (not just the tvd dc type). Also Laurie did work on Fel and she probably learned from her boss.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Fan

Sorry about the 3 posts in a row. My computer and FF had a battle going on late last night and that was the end result. I just saw it right now.

I think Dawson's Creek had some great characters that made great couples. I was always a huge DJ fan, but I enjoyed Joey and Pacey as well. Most of the main couples(gosh, there were so many) were okay to watch. AHH! I miss that show. That is what brought me here to FF. I had another name back then. Good times.

I definitely see them hinting to Mash. I just hope they give us something showing WHY Mary falls for him when all of it happens and not just jump right into it.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

I know. Didn't Dawson's Creek have some great couples overall? I mean, not just the Joey ships. I'm going through the series and I really appreciate most of them on some level.

Right now, I mainly love Frary and Greer/Leith, but I do like most of the Reign characters so I really do hope they play around with the LIWs. I kinda think the series could use a third guy but I have no control over that.

icon
Old 01-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
Except the couple with the chemistry is FM not mb. The fan base isn't even that split unless you count polls and that's more a sign of who us more dedicated to voting repeatedly. The Dawson's comparisons I s also used in every fandom and has only happened once and j say this as a PJ fan. Story was changed cause the showrunner left and PJ had more story. Who knows what will happen with reign but mb isn't pulling story or chem.
And chemistry is subjective where you see so much chemistry with FM I see with BM. It seems pretty evenly split but one fanbase is more vocal than the other. This same thing happened on one of my soaps one fanbase thought they were bigger but in actuality wasn't just more vocal and the PTB went with them and then they could not get the numbers to show their popularity.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
or you know history. Granted the show is taking a lot of creative license but its still supposed to be about Mary Queen of Scots.

They key difference is that MB haven't really had a slow burn. They've already macked. The PJ comparison would make more sense if we were in like s2. But, I guess we'll see. No doubt MB are getting their development but there are other kinds of traingles (not just the tvd dc type). Also Laurie did work on Fel and she probably learned from her boss.
The whole show and the couples have been on speed because they want people interested so they sped up important moments like a first kiss, make love to ensure or make a possibility of a second season more likely. Even FM was rushed. I mean seriously for one of the couples to make love in episode 8 in the first season is ridiculous and I don't care if they knew each other when they were kids. FM needed more time to develop a relationship based on who they are now as adults not nostalgia from their childhood.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry (View Post)
Yeah, that's why the comparison doesn't work.....

But I wouldn't be surprised if they made a quadrangle since it's still the first season. DC created a quadrangle too so we'll see what goes down.
well it works for me lol the time line doesnt have to match exactly.. that wasnt my main point.. my comparison comes from once friends turned into lovers and true love... Thats what my initial post was about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSC (View Post)
I completely agree. Show already promises us more Mash in the second half, so I'm very optimistic
It's obvious that first half should have been dedicated to FM and I like how their bond wasn't dragged for whole season. The sooner FM are established the faster triangle will start. I'm actually happy it didn't took us so much time as in TVD. But I guess it's due to ratings. TVD was always safe, while Reign is a "bubble" show. Writers had to make some events happen really fast, but I don't care about it as long as Mash is developing and growing.

Me too!! I think there is a lot of potential...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youpin (View Post)
And chemistry is subjective where you see so much chemistry with FM I see with BM.
THIS!!!

Last edited by Leelala; 01-14-2014 at 04:47 PM
Old 01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Elite Fan

Them having sex in episode 8 didn't seem rushed to me at all. They were practically engaged already and have been through a ton of stuff as a betrothed couple. This isn't a normal teenage couple by any means and seeing as politically arranged marriages happened with STRANGERS back then, it makes perfect sense. You have to look at the historical context where it was just as likely Mary would be married to another royal, a stranger, and have to sleep with him very soon.

icon
Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Them having sex in episode 8 didn't seem rushed to me at all. They were practically engaged already and have been through a ton of stuff as a betrothed couple. This isn't a normal teenage couple by any means and seeing as politically arranged marriages happened with STRANGERS back then, it makes perfect sense. You have to look at the historical context where it was just as likely Mary would be married to another royal, a stranger, and have to sleep with him very soon.
I understand historical context but it was still rushed. It is a historical fiction so the writers had the opportunity to really develop these relationships/couples and they didn't.

I mean they had F/M and others kissing in public when it times like those all those things could compromise a lady so you can't say it is okay they slept together so quickly because of historical context but not take into account a lot of the situations that would compromise Mary's virtue not being relevant even if they were engaged.

FM were betrothed from since childhood but they barely knew each other as adults and they went through some things but the fact that Franco barely understood some of Mary's stance on certain subjects emphasizes even more that they did not know each other as adults, their views etc..
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Elite Fan

How much historical context do they need? The simple truth is that they did get married once Mary returned to court. Engagements weren't long back then and the real Mary documented that she knew Francis was the one in an instant. Should the show contradict Mary Queen of Scot's own words?

And maybe the writers already knew Mary wasn't going to marry another. Because yes, it was an instant connection based on Mary's own words. That's keeping within historical context. If Mary felt it, she felt it, and Francis was the love of her life. You can tell if you read her poems.

Do you just want them to throw away how the real Mary felt?

icon
Old 01-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Franco barely understood some of Mary's stance on certain subjects emphasizes even more that they did not know each other as adults, their views etc..
can you please not use the name of a dictator who had blood on his hands as a nickname for Francis please?

I love you because you're my best friend
J&M
and I want to grow old with you.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
How much historical context do they need? The simple truth is that they did get married once Mary returned to court. Engagements weren't long back then and the real Mary documented that she knew Francis was the one in an instant. Should the show contradict Mary Queen of Scot's own words?

And maybe the writers already knew Mary wasn't going to marry another. Because yes, it was an instant connection based on Mary's own words. That's keeping within historical context. If Mary felt it, she felt it, and Francis was the love of her life. You can tell if you read her poems.

Do you just want them to throw away how the real Mary felt?
If you go by being historically accurate Francis was a sickly man and died and I am sure you would not like that and not what we have on screen for instance. So there can be liberties taken by the writers.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheSun (View Post)
can you please not use the name of a dictator who had blood on his hands as a nickname for Francis please?
Sorry I keep mixing him up with a character that I hate from a soap called Franco and the two names are close.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
FM were betrothed from since childhood but they barely knew each other as adults and they went through some things but the fact that Franco barely understood some of Mary's stance on certain subjects emphasizes even more that they did not know each other as adults, their views etc..
Thats my thought as well, MB have a much better understanding of each other and connect on a different, much deeper level which goes beyond childhood love and an arrangement.. The writers have laid the foundation for a deep MB love... Will they get married? no but the love will be there...
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Fan

I'm wondering what are the stances on which Francis "barely understood Mary" because literally nothing is coming to mind.

Also I see you guys arguing that FM having sex after eight eps of going through hell together is rushed but no one is mentioning the fact that MB's kiss happened after five eps and four conversations (three out of these conversations being about Francis, including one where she specifically tells Bash how HAPPY Francis makes her). Lol ok our dictionaries obviously have a different entry for "rushed".

I love you because you're my best friend
J&M
and I want to grow old with you.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Absolute Fan

The only thing I can comment on is Francis not having a good understanding of Mary and its happened throughout the season in almost every single episode... He is always questioning Mary's intentions and for me its not in a healthy way..
Closed Thread   Post New Thread