Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Total Fan

Comics Turned Games!

There are a lot of comics that transition into games, very successfully. The latest one is based on The Red Star, and looks really good!

Old 03-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Elite Fan

Those screens look pretty good. Maybe that one will be pretty good, because comics to game adaptations have been pretty hit or miss. I really liked Wolverine: Revenge, but I've hated every Superman game I've ever played. I didn't really like the Spiderman game either.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Total Fan

Yeah, comics-to-games are extremely unpredictable in quality. Titles with the original comic creators involved (like The Red Star) have a much higher chance of success.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah. I guess the smaller companies are more concerned with putting out a quality product. Bigger companies can put out crap and not care, as long as it sells several thousand copies.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Total Fan

There's something to be said for gaining prestige with a quality title. Didn't work out too well for Sega while they also did hardware, but they've survived/thrived based on innovation.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Elite Fan

I was reading the EGM last night and saw that there is a 100 Bullets game in production. I didn't even know that they were making that one.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Total Fan

Wow, this is news to me. Is there more info on the creative team/distributor/publisher behind it?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Elite Fan

All it says it that it is coming out for PS2, Xbox and GC, and that Acclaim is the one publishing it. Other than that there is nothing. There is a bit of info on some other comics related games that look like they may be okay: Spider-Man 2, X-Men: Legends, The Punisher, and Judge Dredd. There's not much there besides a few screenshots though. Nothing in depth. This issue was more of a "what to look forward to" issue.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Elite Fan

From GameSpot

Quote:

100 Bullets First Look

100 Bullets is the upcoming third-person action game based on the popular Vertigo comic of the same name. The unique series is equal parts hard-boiled crime story and paranoia-inducing espionage thriller, and it follows what happens when people from all walks of life meet Agent Graves, a mysterious figure who offers them the opportunity of a lifetime: an attaché case containing proof of a past crime, a gun, carte blanche to exact revenge on the person who committed the crime and did them an irrevocable wrong, and immunity from punishment. While Agent Graves' identity and motivations are a mystery to those he encounters, considering the nature of his offer, this isn't really the kind of situation where you'd be asking too many questions anyway. We had a chance to view a demo of a work-in-progress Xbox build to see how Acclaim's video game incarnation of the series is coming together.

The game is being developed by Acclaim's Austin Studios and will tell an original tale crafted by series creator and acclaimed DC Comics writer Brian Azzarello. You will be put in the role of two characters: Cole Burns, who should be a familiar face to fans of the comic, and Snow Falls, an original female character created specifically for the game's story. You'll alternate control of each character depending on the level and how the story unfolds.

As you'd expect, 100 Bullets' gameplay leans heavily on gunplay, which is hardly a bad thing. One of the most interesting aspects of the gameplay so far is the nuances being added. At first blush there doesn't appear to be anything special about the game's mechanics. You'll control Cole or Snow from a third-person perspective and blow up anything that moves. This task appears to be made even easier by the inclusion of an auto-target feature that lets you target any foes with the press of a button. However, the lock-on system rewards skill by offering two levels of targeting that will vary the amount of damage you can inflict. A quick lock on a foe will present you with a tempting target; however, if you hold off on shooting for a few seconds, the lock-on will focus more on your quarry's areas of vulnerability so you can get the most bang for your bullet. We also saw in the demo how you can take human shields and do some fun, but violent, things to them when you're done killing them. You'll also find that you can smash people's heads into walls. While we got a taste of the gameplay in 100 Bullets, Acclaim will eventually be unveiling more of the gameplay mechanics, such as an under-wraps new feature that it claims will "blow away" bullet time.

100 Bullets is looking sharp. The game's slick look is the result of the Austin Studios' collaboration with Eduardo Risso, the comic's artist, to re-create the dense 2D worlds of the pages into rich 3D environments. We got only a brief glimpse at some of the different environments, but we saw little touches, such as neon lighting, that helped sell the overall look.

Based on what we've seen, 100 Bullets could be a very stylish entry in the action genre. The graphics are looking good, and the engine is already moving at a good clip. We'll be anxious to see how all the pieces come together. 100 Bullets is currently slated to ship this fall for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Look for more on the game in the coming months.

By Ricardo Torres, GameSpot
Old 03-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Total Fan

Looks cool, thanks for the info! I worry that a video game based on a crime noir comic revolving around conspiracy more than action will be produced with...odd results.

As opposed to, say, Punisher; for all of the emotional baggage that series has, the intent is still to destroy as many things in a loud, public fashion. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Total Fan

Here's a look from GameSpy at the 100 Bullets title. It sounds...odd.

Though I don't own a PS2 nor X-Box, it seems like a game I'd avoid anyways. Hate to say it, but it looks like a cash grab to me... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

There is a story here about the new Punisher game. The screen shots make it look like it will be pretty good. We'll see I guess.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Total Fan

Going by the pics, it does look good; will read it tonight, going to check out Hellboy. [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Edited: Speaking of, why isn't there a game for that? The director's previous effort in Blade 2 should also have had a video game effort.

Saw that the first day it was out, theatre was at best half full...hope for a better turnout tonight!

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited Headhunter ]
Old 04-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination. I did think the 100 Bullets game looked interesting. According to Wizard, the creators were pretty involved in it's creation.

I want to play it, and Tetris is as hardcore as I get. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Elite Fan

While it isn't technically a comic turned game, City of Heroes is a MMORPG where you become your own comic superhero. I've been waiting for this one for a while, and there is an in depth review of it at UGO.com. Sounds like it's going to be a good one.

[ 05-01-2004: Message edited The Crow ]