Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Seventeen years he spent in jail for a crime he didn't commit and had an alibi for.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

A West London Tower Block has engulfed in flames..

400-600 families live in the Tower Block, 6 people confirmed have died

London fire: Six killed as Grenfell Tower engulfed - BBC News
Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

The GOP response to the shooting has been puzzling. I completely understand being grateful for the intervention of cops and first responders. What I don't understand is why anyone would think more guns would have been helpful in that situation.

Anyway, the images of the inferno in London have been horrifying. And the notion that 65 were saved, when clearly that building must have housed hundreds? That is just so chilling.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Bill Cosby case: Judge declares mistrial after jury deadlock
Old 06-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Muslims targeted by violence in wake of ISIS-claimed attacks

Quote:
LONDON -- The attack on Muslim worshippers outside a London mosque on Monday follows a rising wave of violence and harassment directed against Muslims across Britain and around the world.

This month alone, a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf told police in Lancashire her car was struck by a bag of vomit. Worshippers at the Omar Faruque mosque in Cambridge found strips of ham attached to their vehicles. Several Muslim families have reported receiving letters warning, "You are no longer welcome in this country." Scores say they have been spat on.

Across Britain, Muslims say they are being targeted by a wave of animosity and violence simply because of the way they dress and worship, and because they share a religion hijacked by bloodthirsty extremists like the Islamic State group, which was quick to claim responsibility for recent attacks in Britain and elsewhere. In Monday's attack, a man plowed a van into a crowd of worshippers, injuring at least nine people -- a tactic used in the recent attacks on Westminster and London bridges.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:25 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Thanks for posting that news. Crazy what people are stooping too. Some sad news about the young American that North Korea let go last week.

Otto Warmbier Dies After Return From North Korea

So it seems like the U.S. is going to stop Americans from visiting North Korea. People were allowed to go there on tours from the U.S. The U.S. still has Americans that are captured there. Of course some wonder why Otto Warmbier went there to begin with knowing how dangerous it is. I'll say this about North Korea. It's a brutal place clearly & being being born there is a horrible fate that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but it's still better than nuclear war. There aren't any ''good'' solutions I think to this problem.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would want to go to North Korea. As long as I've been alive, it's been pretty clear that there's no good reason to go there willingly.

Suspected suicide bomber shot at Brussels railway station
Old 06-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would want to go to North Korea. As long as I've been alive, it's been pretty clear that there's no good reason to go there willingly.

Suspected suicide bomber shot at Brussels railway station
With the exception of France, Canada and maybe parts of Mexico you couldn't pay me to travel internationally anymore
Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
I often wonder the same thing. A friend of mine recently went to the DMZ and said that was close enough.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:38 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Man hit by 2 trains in SE Portland suffers life-threatening injuries

I certainly wish him a fast recovery. I don't know of this ever happening before. Getting hit by 2 trains going opposite ways of each other within seconds. If you aren't from here, there are train tracks it seems everywhere in the Portland Metro Area & the trains are quite loud, but as easy as it is I think to avoid tragic situations like this, people still get hit by trains in this area. Sometimes by the MAX, but this is a first in my life I know of someone being hit twice. Hope for the best of this person.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ Thanks for that news. Hope he recovers quickly.

Meanwhile, I do think there are a lot of safe places to travel to. Take Manchester, London, Brussels, Paris and Nice. Yes, they've had devastating terrorist attacks in the last year and a half, but even at the moment those happened, most parts of those cities were completely safe.

I just think that you have to use basic common sense. A place like North Korea? As a North American? That's never gonna be a place where I'd be welcome or safe.

U.S. judge OKs lawsuit over once-secret Muslim vetting program

Quote:
SEATTLE -- A class-action lawsuit challenging a once-secret government program that delayed immigration and citizenship applications by Muslims can move forward, a federal judge has ruled.

U.S. District Judge Richard Jones in Seattle on Wednesday denied the Justice Department's request to dismiss the lawsuit, which was filed in February by the American Civil Liberties Union and the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project.

The lawsuit claims the government since 2008 has used the Controlled Application Review and Resolution Program to blacklist thousands of applications for asylum, legal permanent residency or citizenship as national security concerns.

The program imposes criteria on the applications that go far beyond what Congress has authorized, including holding up some applications if the applicants donated to Muslim charities or travelled to Muslim-majority countries, the complaint alleges.

The program was not publicly discovered until 2012, when an immigration officer discussed it during testimony in a different lawsuit.

Immigrant rights advocates then filed Freedom of Information Act lawsuits to force U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to turn over more information about it, the lawsuit said.
So, yeah, someone needs to ask Donald Trump what he means by "extreme vetting," given these parameters.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Cladding fire tests failed by 27 high-rise blocks

Cladding on 27 tower blocks in 15 council areas in England has failed fire safety tests, the government says.

This comes after Camden Council became the first authority to evacuate residents over fire safety concerns, asking people living in four high-rise buildings to leave late on Friday.

The council said it had no option but to move residents of 650 flats on the Chalcots estate while work takes place.

Theresa May said "necessary" steps will be taken to find people accommodation.

By Saturday morning, 83 people had refused to leave their homes.

The council's Labour leader, Georgia Gould, said the council had acted "as swiftly as we possibly can" to ensure people's safety.

Ms Gould said the fire service "told us they could not guarantee our residents' safety in those blocks"....
This has turned into such a sit show, hasn't it? And, the worst part of it is that, if the people in charge had only done the right thing from the beginning, there wouldn't be a problem now.

But, no, they tried to cut costs for poor housing and now the poor are left up sit creek without a paddle.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Laquan McDonald death: Officers 'lied about US teenager's shooting'

Three former or current Chicago police officers have been charged with allegedly conspiring to cover up the fatal police shooting of a black teen.

Detective David March and officers Joseph Walsh and Thomas Gaffney face charges of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and official misconduct.

Laquan McDonald was shot 16 times by a white officer in 2014, sparking widespread protests across the city.

Prosecutors accuse the three men of lying in the shooting's aftermath.

"The indictment makes clear that these defendants did more than merely obey an unofficial 'code of silence,' rather it alleges that they lied about what occurred to prevent independent criminal investigators from learning the truth," Special Prosecutor Patricia Brown said in a statement on Tuesday.

Officer Jason Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder in 2015 after dashcam footage appeared to show him fatally shooting Mr McDonald as he moved away from officers, contradicting police accounts. He has pleaded not guilty.

Conspiracy, obstruction and official misconduct. But not murder.

I bet they're found innocent anyway.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Six held in Spain, UK and Germany in anti-jihadist raids
Closed Thread   Post New Thread