Yeah, things really took a step up in that episode
Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ava/Tess was so important to him that she outshone everything and everyone
Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

She did, it wasn't even like he just remembered her a little more, I think she was pretty much all he remembered & everything else just fell into the background
Old 05-23-2019, 09:13 AM
Master Fan

If I remember correctly Max asks Tess what she remembers from Antar in that episode and she responds something like she remembers him holding her and reaching out for her in the middle of the night! Aww!!

Max was really torn, his human side fell for Liz, but I believe his alien side always belonged to Tess/Ava.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Tess' memories were It sounds like he was her clearest memories as well.

I always thought the writers would explain Max's connection to Liz in a sci-fi kind of way. I don't know if I'm making sense, but I thought there had to be more to it than - Max got off a bus, saw Liz, and was head over heels for 10?? years. That doesn't happen to people.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

...considering what we learned later on, I guess you could argue that Max was subconsciouly missing Tess & his connection with her so badly, that he projected those feelings onto some random girl
Old 05-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Master Fan

This is exactly why I’m torn.....i see both loves (is there a combo dreamer/rebel thread??) and I appreciate how torn up Max would have been. Especially as his alien side emerged.
I can appreciate the idea that Max was missing his other half and locked on to Liz. Then years later he’s reunited with his love of his other life, Tess, and it’s almost too late for them. There lies the tragedy for Max as he has to choose.

Unfortunately I think the writers didn’t have a clue on the plan. They started the show with Max and Liz as the main relationship, then they bring in the fourth alien to shake things up and decide it will be his bride from before, that is pretty harsh.

In my mind what made Max and Tess more unique then Michael and Isabel is Max and Tess were madly in love on Antar, while it seems the other two were almost in an arranged situation. So maybe M&I could exist here on earth more platonically then M&T ever would. I think as Max remembered his life as Zan he did love Tess/Ava. As Tess reminds Max when she returns, his feelings for her were real and that was NOT a minewarp.

It’s tough.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I definitely agree that the writers didn't have a plan, I think that no matter who your fave character/ships are, we can all agree on that

They were a lot of plotholes & storylines that contradicted each other, so I think it's one of those shows where you can't just take everything that's said as truth, you have to make your own interpretations & head canons to get it to all fit together
Old 05-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyesxx (View Post)
you have to make your own interpretations & head canons to get it to all fit together
100% agree!!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Unfortunately I think the writers didn’t have a clue on the plan. They started the show with Max and Liz as the main relationship, then they bring in the fourth alien to shake things up and decide it will be his bride from before, that is pretty harsh.
Quote:
I definitely agree that the writers didn't have a plan, I think that no matter who your fave character/ships are, we can all agree on that
So true. I think Tess being a 4th alien/ Max's bride was not even a thought at the very back of the writers/producers' minds when the Pilot was made. Then there's the fact that Roswell was a book originally.
So the show is following the books, making ML the main couple, and by the time the writers decide to bring in a bride...they just didn't think the ML connection needed much explanation or that it was wrong to have Max be so cold/standoffish to Tess for so much of s2.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

It's a shame, because I honestly don't think the writers truly cared about the story. They thought they could just half-ass their way through the whole thing & the fans would eat it up
Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I know alot of the season 1 writers were let go from the WB and new writers who didn't watch season 1 came in to write for season 2.

It kills me as a writer how can you not watch season 1 or at least read it to understand more of the story.
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I don't know too much about them, but just from that alone makes me feel like they were pretty arrogant...
Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyesxx (View Post)
It's a shame, because I honestly don't think the writers truly cared about the story. They thought they could just half-ass their way through the whole thing & the fans would eat it up
People like this don't deserve to get writing jobs in Hollywood.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I agree, there are a lot of other writers that would have put so much more into the show