Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles (View Post)
I totally understand how it can be frustrating to be a fan of the new show, and come in here and see us bitching. And I do apologize for that, it's just...there are alot of feelings involved I think my issue is that reboots in general just piss me off, especially when they are 20 years later or less.

I actually didn't know that the original books were being brought back into print, so that's nice tbh. The best case scenario for me, out of all of this, is that a) the OG gets more fans and b) it could somehow get B&T on air.
That's actually what I was thinking that this might give B+T sn opportunity. It may also put something into development for the original. Who knows.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Yes I want B&T so bad! Not this bad reboot!

I miss my candies so much!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Elite Fan

that would be such a dream come true

icing on the dream cake would be Jason being on the show....might as well dream big while I'm dreaming

Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Elite Fan

Well, this is a forum for Roswell, and it's separated from Roswell, New Mexico. Not the same show. Besides, we are still here, 20 years later, it means that we are still invested in the show. And this is the candy thread, about the Michael and Maria love story, which was born in the original book and adapted in the original show, AND destroyed in the new show.

So, I think we are entitled to be pissed off. We fought hard to save the show while it was airing. It got 3 seasons because of us, of our fight. I live in France, I had to look everywhere for Tabasco sauce because it wasn't sold in our supermarkets. And I had to send bottles from France, to the USA, a bit expensive.

And we are here, after 20 years. We waited and hoped for a sequel, or for B+T. What we got... well, where are Michael and Maria, and Alex and Isabel?

Honestly, I have lost hope for B+T. Fehr and Delfino are not famous enough and they don't have enough experience (in writing and production) and connection to get even a pilot. Unless there's a miracle and a famous director shows an interest and can carry enough weight to get a network involved.

Apart from that, there are talks of a Frasier reboot. Kill me now. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Frasier. What is going to happen now to my beloved sitcom???

- Michael and Maria belong together (Thania St John, writer)
Icon : ?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh no....why a Frasier reboot? I love that show. Come on!

That said, I do agree that Brendan and Majandra may not be famous enough for B&T to happen I feel like we've been waiting so long now that nothing is going to happen at this point.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, Kelsey Grammer spoke about it, how there are talks with writers to reboot Frasier. Why, why, why? I mean, this sitcom was magic, gorgeously written and played, I fear that the magic won't hit twice.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:15 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

OMG a reboot of Frasier why? That show was classic.

What are they going to reboot next Friends, Cheers, the Fresh Prince of Belair?

Crazyess get an original idea for once. I want B&T even more now.

Reboots don't work you can't recreate magic!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
Old 02-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Elite Fan

I think this trend should be examined. It's really something strange. What does it reveal about our actual society? is it as great as it is ? I mean, I don't know in the States but in France whoever says on tv that life was better "before" is labelled a conservative and a regressive person, life is soooo much better now than before.

So if life is better now, with all the technology (which drives people mean and insane and arrogant, in my opinion), why this nostalgia for the 80's, 90? Concerts with singers from those times are quite a success in France, tv series from this time period are being rebooted so there's something from that time period that people miss.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 AM
Passionate Fan

The reboot just isn't very good. I don't wish any ill will on the cast or crew of the new show but the show itself is poor and doesn't seem to be getting better in my opinion. I'm shocked that the character that I find most compelling in the new show is Kyle. I don't know whether it's because he's had some interesting material, or if it's because he's played by Michael Trevino who's great but everybody else is either forgettable or annoying. New Maria has no storyline whatsoever and only turns up when somebody goes drinking at the bar. Isabel and Michael are god-awful and although he's cute, New!Max's acting is as wooden as a table leg.
Quote:
That said, I do agree that Brendan and Majandra may not be famous enough for B&T to happen I feel like we've been waiting so long now that nothing is going to happen at this point.
It's a bad shame, but I don't think it's likely to get picked up by Netflix. Netflix have just cancelled The Punisher and Jessica Jones even though they have solid fanbases and ratings. If they are cancelling shows like those, a little unknown show like B&T doesn't stand much of a chance of getting noticed. It's a damned shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmag
So, I think we are entitled to be pissed off. We fought hard to save the show while it was airing. It got 3 seasons because of us, of our fight. I live in France, I had to look everywhere for Tabasco sauce because it wasn't sold in our supermarkets. And I had to send bottles from France, to the USA, a bit expensive.

And we are here, after 20 years. We waited and hoped for a sequel, or for B+T. What we got... well, where are Michael and Maria, and Alex and Isabel?
Here, here Mag. Roswell New Mexico, isn't our show and is only loosely based on the Roswell High books. Back in the day, I remember that we used to compare the similarities and differences of Roswell and the Roswell High books. The truth is that even though some names were changed, our Roswell was a lot closer to the books than this new version is.
Quote:
Reboots don't work you can't recreate magic!
No, they don't. Has anybody seen the Charmed reboot? One word: Cringe.

{Kate}
Old 02-19-2019, 06:55 AM
Elite Fan

I watched Charmed, it wasn't my main fandom but I loved it, it was escaping and fun and there was Chemistry between the sisters. What I read about the new Charmed? not interested. Same for Magnum.

For Fuller House, which I watch it, it's not a reboot, it's a sequel. Same actors, same sets, only décades later. So it's familiar.

I think the only reboot I watch is MacGyver. It's a team now, instead of Mac being a solo agent, but that can be explained thanks to modern technology. A team is needed because Mac can't do it all on his own now, it wouldn't be credible. And thankfully, the actors work well together, IMO.

But it's more like… a sequel in my eyes. It's almost as if this MacGyver is the son of the original MacGyver. That's how I see it.

But Roswell? No way. I just can't imagine myself watching it. I read the comments and yes, I heard that Kyle is apparently the only character who gets an universal love while the others, it's more… well, 50/50. And even if Michael and Maria end up together, same for Alex and Isabel, I still won't watch it. I don't "feel" the actors playing them just like I don't "feel" the characters. I just don't "feel" the magic, that's all.

Generally, being in France, when I hear about new shows, I read about what it's going to be about, and who the actors are. From there, either I'm already interested and I give it a try (and then I either like it or not), or I'm not at all interested and I don't even watch it. And the new Roswell belongs to the second category. An example of the first category? "Project Blue Book". I gave it a try and expected to not like it very much, since it takes place in the 50's but it's interesting.

But back to reboots, Frasier, no, just no. If it ever is greenlit, I might (might!!) try the first épisodes, just to see what it's all about. And only if what I read online about it seems worthy to at least give it a try. But it won't get my seal of approval just because I'm a fan of the original Frasier. And even if it's more a sequel than a reboot. Frasier, like Roswell, was rather special, due to the acting and the quality of the writing and the cast. Really, it's hard to imagine a second miracle for Frasier.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Passionate Fan

I think with the new Roswell, I wanted to like it but there are too many things I've found off putting, starting with the casting choices. I think half of them were very miscast. When I first found out about it I knew it would always be a shadow of the original, however I didn't realize how bad it was going to be. I was hoping it would be a bit like 'Starcrossed' because I liked that one.
Quote:
But Roswell? No way. I just can't imagine myself watching it. I read the comments and yes, I heard that Kyle is apparently the only character who gets an universal love while the others, it's more… well, 50/50. And even if Michael and Maria end up together, same for Alex and Isabel, I still won't watch it. I don't "feel" the actors playing them just like I don't "feel" the characters. I just don't "feel" the magic, that's all.
I don't think Michael/Maria will work in this show anyway, I think if put together it would feel forced and the way they've set it up the primary ship will be Michael/Alex anyway. I think New!Michael is bisexual but pretty sure Alex is gay so Isabel/Alex will never happen. Not that it matters, New!Isabel is awful. I don't like Michael much either, so wouldn't wish him on New!Maria.

I don't really understand how they could do a Frasier reboot, or how it could work, but it seems that these days people aren't particularly bothered about the legacy of the original shows or staying true to characters, or quality. They just shovel out any old crap and hope for the best. That's how I feel is what has happened with RNM and Charmed (2018). They've just ran out of ideas.

{Kate}
Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 AM
Elite Fan

I think there's a real nostalgia, too, for the 80's and 90's. Many people feel like our society is walking on its head and people miss simpler times, that weren't that long ago. Sure, it always existed but here, it's multiplied by 10 ! All those shows from the 90's being rebooted, that's just insane. A few here and there, okay. But that many?

About the casting, yep, same feeling here. When I saw the actors chosen (and keep in mind that I have never seen any of them in any shows so I had no negative or positive opinion about them), they just didn't scream Michael, Maria, Alex. The actors playing Kyle, Max and Liz are okay, I guess. But the rest, nope. Even Isabel, beautiful, queen like Isabel? I just don't recognize that description with the new actress.

Casting is crucial, sometimes it's a hit, sometimes it's a miss. I believe that half of the RNM casting is a miss.

It makes me appreciate even more our Roswellian actors. They were just magical, it really worked right from the start. The friendships between the aliens, between the humans, the love stories, everything worked easily, naturally. Roswell had a lot of flaws but casting, acting, chemistry between actors wasn't part of those flaws.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
I think there's a real nostalgia, too, for the 80's and 90's. Many people feel like our society is walking on its head and people miss simpler times, that weren't that long ago. Sure, it always existed but here, it's multiplied by 10 ! All those shows from the 90's being rebooted, that's just insane. A few here and there, okay. But that many?
There is a lot of nostalgia for the 80's and 90's in everyday life, as well as TV. It was a simpler time, and less negative I think. I think show producers are now the same generation as us, they remember the shows they used to love and the way they made them feel and they want to recreate that. I STILL feel my heart in my throat when I hear Dido's 'Here With Me'.
Quote:
About the casting, yep, same feeling here. When I saw the actors chosen (and keep in mind that I have never seen any of them in any shows so I had no negative or positive opinion about them), they just didn't scream Michael, Maria, Alex. The actors playing Kyle, Max and Liz are okay, I guess. But the rest, nope. Even Isabel, beautiful, queen like Isabel? I just don't recognize that description with the new actress.
Yeah, Liz, Alex and Kyle are all fine. Maria I was a bit sceptical about because I had seen her in something before, but the idea grew on me and I don't hate her. But yeah, it's the aliens that are the problem. Isabel is the supposed to be the drop dead gorgeous alien. The actress that plays her is average at best, and New!Isabel has an awful toxic personality. Max looks like Jason Behr, so superficially it was a good choice, however his acting isn't the best and some of his scenes that have been emotionally charged have been a bit cringe inducing. Michael, I don't find very attractive to look at and find the character completely off putting in general. I think the thing that I loved about our Michael was his vulnerability and his determination to find something better for his life than what he had to endure growing up. This New!Michael seems to have adopted an, 'if you can't beat them, join them' attitude, and even scenes with Alex that show a slightly softer side of the jerk he appears to be doesn't really make me care about him. Sad, as Michael is my favourite character in our Roswell.
Quote:
It makes me appreciate even more our Roswellian actors. They were just magical, it really worked right from the start. The friendships between the aliens, between the humans, the love stories, everything worked easily, naturally. Roswell had a lot of flaws but casting, acting, chemistry between actors wasn't part of those flaws.
They did have something special, that apparently can't be replicated. From the pilot., it was magical. EVERYBODY had amazing chemistry with each other. Max/Liz, Maria/Liz, Max/Michael/Isabel. I cared about Max, Michael and Isabel from the start because you could see how scared they were after Max healed Liz and you were right there with them and hooked. Maria/Liz had mad chemistry and you really believed that they had been friends for years. As you said, amazing casting, acting and natural chemistry.

Roswell's stories weren't perfect, as we all know but these basic things made us love the show so much we stuck around for the three years it was on the air, and many, many years after that.

{Kate}
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

It's like the Twilight Zone no matter how many times they try they can't recreate the original show from the 1960! It was a brilliant masterpiece.

I hate what they did to Michael in the reboot and Maria fell flat to me.

No one like our candies.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylittlecandygirl (View Post)
They did have something special, that apparently can't be replicated. From the pilot., it was magical. EVERYBODY had amazing chemistry with each other. Max/Liz, Maria/Liz, Max/Michael/Isabel. I cared about Max, Michael and Isabel from the start because you could see how scared they were after Max healed Liz and you were right there with them and hooked. Maria/Liz had mad chemistry and you really believed that they had been friends for years. As you said, amazing casting, acting and natural chemistry.

Roswell's stories weren't perfect, as we all know but these basic things made us love the show so much we stuck around for the three years it was on the air, and many, many years after that.
What is suprising is that most of them didn't have a lot of experience. Apart maybe from Shiri Appleby, and Katherine Heigl? But the rest seem to be newbies (although I can't speak for Jason Behr, I have no idea if he had a lot of roles before Roswell). So that magic on screen? that was incredible, so not expected. Casting is like a love story. Sometimes it's love at first sight, passionate love, and sometimes it's like being on a blind date hoping for a great love story and at the end of the date, being like "meh, I wish I had stayed home watching Netflix".

I was more a candy but you can't deny that SA and JB had chemistry and that they sold the hell out of the Max and Liz love story. Even Alex and Isabel, who were the 3rd couple, and the harder to sell to the audience, well, the actors managed to sell it.

And as you said, the friendships? Brilliant! Amazing. And never destroyed despite everything. No backstabbing buddies, there.

One of the reasons why there's such a nostalgia for shows from the 80's, 90's. It was a time for romantic love and friendship, fun and interesting relationships (Magnum-Higgins, for example, in Magnum, PI).Now a lot of shows, especially shows with young characters, it seems it's all about drama for drama, PC, box ticking characters and pairings. Plus the kleenex relationships.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread