Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Master Fan

I've got my DVDs! And they must have changed the music. Cuz remember I was asking about the episode where there was that Dido song, "Isobel"? When the scene came, it was a different song. I wonder what other music changed in the DVD. Anyone wanna take on the project?

Gaby
I made my icon.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:15 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, alot of the music has been changed. The best I can figure is that they couldn't get the licensing rights to alot of the songs they used during the episodes. Which really kind of sucks since the music was a big part of the show

"Naya's my girl." - Heather Morris

|| Naya Rivera and Heather Morris Board Campaigns||Live Journal||Tumblr||
Old 10-08-2004, 04:04 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm home for fall break, and I'm depressed. I popped in my Popular DVDs for the first time, and it's just not the same without all the great, original music. I mean, the VERY FIRST scene ever of this fab show which sets the tone of the rest of the series (sort of) doesn't have the absolutely brilliant Dandy Warhols song, "Good Morning." Grrrh.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's funny that so many people are in an uproar over this. Except for a couple of special instances (like "True" in The News of My Death), I never noticed the background music. At all. Ever. *shrug*

I was surprised to learn that you have to re-clear all the songs for a DVD release. You'd think they would do that ahead of time these days.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Elite Fan

I don't really notice most of the music changes to be honest. I like most that replacement songs that I do notice. I did crack up in "Fall On Your Knees" when Nicole's watching herself walk into the school and there is like no music and she's just walking in slow motion shakin that booty. I actually thought that sound had went out on my television or something.

God Bless Madonna for letting them keep "Lucky Star" in Ex, Lies, and Video Tape. I knew she was awesome cause she was a fan of the show. That's just great. It surprised me to have Madonna music still in, I thought for sure it was a goner.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:47 AM
Elite Fan

To me it just added a certain little something to specific scenes. They just fall a teensy bit flat now. But yay for Madonna and keeping her songs. There's another one in the second season that should probably be there now too.

Old 10-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah "Music" is used in the Second Season Homecoming episode and it would look odd without it seeing as they mock the actually mock the video. "Don't Tell Me" is used in the end of Fag while the crew are doing their good deeds against homophobs.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Addicted Fan

Anyone know how to make screencaps from a DVD? I keep getting a blank box when I try with PSP. I want to capture the shirt harrison is wearing at 38:31 in episode 4 (Windstruck) and mail in a copy to the costume designer to see if she can pin down the manufacturer of the shirt. Hehe.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:11 AM
Elite Fan

There's some specific programs that rips source material off of DVD's, including clips and screencaps. You might want to try download.com

Old 10-10-2004, 03:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks Cassandra.

I have a feeling the girl RM was referrencing in Caged! is Carly. Actually, if you listen to the commentary, it's pretty damn obvious it's Carly because he mentioned the tension between Brooke and Sam had some real life drama underlying it. And since he and Bibb seem tight (she did two commentaries and appeared on Nip/Tuck), I don't think Carly will be doing any commentary on the S2 DVDs. Anyone else notice how he avoided talking about Carly for the most part, and when she was mentioned, he fell silent? At one point in HOTO, SITM he said, kind of perturbed, "I didn't realize how much Carly was in this episode."

Well, if he's considering doing a Popular reunion movie or something, he better patch things up with her. I think it'd actually be worth campaigning for such a thing...I mean it couldn't hurt. We've got our DVDs, don't we?! Who's with me...
Old 10-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Elite Fan

Well I was reading an article on Tammy Lynn Michaels recently and she mentioned how the Popular cast and crew knew she was gay, because someone that had found out, actually started outing her to people. I figured whoever it was and Tammy were the ones not getting along all that well.

I don't know, but I thought Carly and Bibby seemed pretty tight. Carly was at Leslie's wedding last year and everything. And they did all that press together and seemed pretty affectionate with each other.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Elite Fan

I also wondered if it were Sara Rue cause they don't talk about her that much either. I did think it odd that hardly anybody talks about Carly except a few times.

I always thought the cast were tight, but apparently they hated it when all the girls were together.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Bibb *does* seem easy going and if Carly attended her wedding, there should be no bad blood there. Maybe they just hit a rough patch? Or maybe the tension was between Carly and some other female cast member...I don't really know.

Leslie G mentioned Chris had his own show (well, he did for a while), but no one mentioned that Sara is also a series lead on a show that's been running for three seasons now! Strange! (Maybe they did, but it was on that "Where are they now?" featurette that we never got...grrr)
Speaking of missing features, I shot off a complaint to BVHE over the net. I suggest y'all do the same if you want more substance in your s2 release. Just click here: http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/g...k/feedback.tpl

Here's what I said:

To Buena Vista Home Entertainment;

I was very disappointed with your product "Popular: The Complete Season." Not only did you push back the release of this product from July 20 to September 21, 2004, but the additional time seemed to result in a decrease of material from the boxed set which was orignally planned. In the press release that was issued regarding the release of this product, it announced to include "audio commentaries, outtakes, behind-the-scenes and making-of featurettes, 'Where are they now?' retrospective, and more." Then, the June 25th 2004 issue of Entertainment Weekly mentioned that fans can look forward to "a gag reel, outtakes, cast commentary, and deleted scenes - including an extended verison of Lily and Carmen's same-sex kiss," in the season one boxed set.

Additionally, all the carefully selected tunes and background music were replaced with generic songs that have no emotional resonance. Many fans are perturbed by this. BV should try to acquire liscencing rights for the original songs to be played on DVD when they first negotiate a price with the music labels. Otherwise, the original music team and series creator should be consulted to select appropriate replacement songs.

Moreover, the packaging for this boxed set is horrific. While the DVD cases are ultra slim and aesthetically pleasing, they are of absolutely no use as the discs fall out of the casing and get scratched. The center piece that grabs on to the DVD should be sturdier and actually perform it's function.

I am aware that the second and final season of Popular is also to be released on DVD next year. As an avid fan of this show and the author of the petition to bring Popular to DVD (viewable at http://www.gopetition.com/online/1684.html), I would like to kindly request that the bonus features that were originally supposed to be included on the first season DVD be included on the second season DVD. Likewise, the original songs should be used, but if that is not possible due to fiscal constraints, please consult the original Popular music coordinators and Ryan Murphy to select fitting replacement songs.

Fans only have one more season/release to look forward to, and it would be great if this release met our expectations. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

[the simultaneously ticked and elated ME]
Old 10-11-2004, 03:08 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds like a good idea. While I'm definitely glad to have the DVD's, they are seriously lacking in comparison to what was promised.

As for the rift, I have to wonder if maybe Sara Rue was involved. I know Leslie Grossman and Tamara were pretty tight, as was Leslie and Tammy. So I doubt it was there. That pretty much only leaves Carly and Sara.

Old 10-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Elite Fan

I really don't like that they kept the scrolling poll on the finale episode. It just bugs me for some reason, not sure why.