Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I basically thought that he was a phony actor that ushered in the “Greed Is Good” era of the 1980’s. He was also a union buster as he fired all the air traffic controllers when they went on strike (they were in a union called PATCO) Article: Reagan vs. Patco: The Strike That Busted Unions - The New York Times He was definitely for Big Business and a lot of the policies he advocated were bad for the common working man. He outspent the Soviet Union in the arms race and that helped cause the Soviet Union to collapse, but his Administration was tainted by the Iran-Contra Scandal, where Senior administration officials secretly facilitated the sale of arms to Iran, which was the subject of an arms embargo, to fund the Contras in Nicaragua who were trying to overthrow a legitimately elected Marxist government in Nicaragua. He was a good speaker, and he was charismatic, and a lot of people liked him, but I didn’t like him.
Thank you for the information, Jerry. You know your stuff. My mother despised Reagan and my dad couldn't stand him either. Now I know why.

It seems people focus on what he did to contribute to the Soviet Union collapse but ignore all the other things he did that were wrong and negative. You said it, he was an actor and actors as we know are fake on the screen. I think that's where his charisma came from.

I love that exchange in the movie Back to the Future when they are discussing Reagan:

Quote:
[Dr. Emmett Brown is doubting Marty McFly's story about that he is from the future]
Dr. Emmett Brown: Then tell me, future boy, who's President of the United States in 1985?
Marty McFly: Ronald Reagan.
Dr. Emmett Brown: Ronald Reagan? The actor?
[chuckles in disbelief]
Dr. Emmett Brown: Then who's vice president? Jerry Lewis?
[rushing out and down a hill toward his laboratory]
Dr. Emmett Brown: I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!
Marty McFly: [following Doc] Whoa. Wait, Doc!
Dr. Emmett Brown: And Jack Benny is secretary of the treasury.
I laugh as it reminds me how stupid it was that Reagan became president in the first place.

How would you compare the three last republican presidents (not including Trump)...

Ronald Reagan, Bush Sr, Bush Jr?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Thank you for the information, Jerry. You know your stuff. My mother despised Reagan and my dad couldn't stand him either. Now I know why.

It seems people focus on what he did to contribute to the Soviet Union collapse but ignore all the other things he did that were wrong and negative. You said it, he was an actor and actors as we know are fake on the screen. I think that's where his charisma came from.

I love that exchange in the movie Back to the Future when they are discussing Reagan:

I laugh as it reminds me how stupid it was that Reagan became president in the first place.

How would you compare the three last republican presidents (not including Trump)...

Ronald Reagan, Bush Sr, Bush Jr?
That’s a hilarious scene!

I would rate Ronald Reagan the best out of a bad lot because he was a decent communicator, and in fact he was called the Great Communicator, but like I said he was a phony actor who ushered in a lot of policies that hurt the average American and glorified greed and avarice.

I would rate George H.W. Bush (Bush 41) as an okay President who got a lot of credit for forming the coalition that defeated Iraq after they invaded Kuwait, but who was smart enough to limit that war and not oust Saddam Hussein. The failing economy, which was caused in large part by the economic policies that Reagan instituted, did him in and he was a One Term President.

I would rate George W. Bush (Bush 43) as the worst out of the three, as he was a complete idiot and an overgrown frat boy who was unduly influenced by Dick Cheney, who was and is a truly evil man, and who invaded a sovereign country (Iraq) under false pretenses which destabilized the Middle East and cost thousands of American lives. I feel that him and Cheney both have blood on their hands.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Bush Sr? I could see them both going there.
Sr. Is it weird that I was familiar with Iran contra scandal?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
It's awesome.

Quote:
I would rate Ronald Reagan the best out of a bad lot because he was a decent communicator, and in fact he was called the Great Communicator, but like I said he was a phony actor who ushered in a lot of policies that hurt the average American and glorified greed and avarice.
He also created the lame Reaganomics...

I love how his own son didn't agree with his father's policies and beliefs. I think that's telling.

Quote:
I would rate George H.W. Bush (Bush 41) as an okay President who got a lot of credit for forming the coalition that defeated Iraq after they invaded Kuwait, but who was smart enough to limit that war and not oust Saddam Hussein. The failing economy, which was caused in large part by the economic policies that Reagan instituted, did him in and he was a One Term President.
Honestly, that's how my dad described him... he was okay and okay is decent when we're talking republican presidents. Reagan started the murder of the economy and Bush Sr allowed the murder to fully transpire.

Quote:
I would rate George W. Bush (Bush 43) as the worst out of the three, as he was a complete idiot and an overgrown frat boy who was unduly influenced by Dick Cheney, who was and is a truly evil man, and who invaded a sovereign country (Iraq) under false pretenses which destabilized the Middle East and cost thousands of American lives. I feel that him and Cheney both have blood on their hands.
Bush and Cheney are murderers in my mind. I don't know how else you can state it. They are criminals and should have been held accountable for their evil actions.

Do you believe Cheney was ultimately calling all the shots?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
Sr. Is it weird that I was familiar with Iran contra scandal?
Why do you feel it's weird?
Old 10-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Bush and Cheney are murderers in my mind. I don't know how else you can state it. They are criminals and should have been held accountable for their evil actions.

Do you believe Cheney was ultimately calling all the shots?
Oh absolutely. Cheney was the evil mastermind behind Bush.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I really think Bush was too stupid to call the shots.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Oh absolutely. Cheney was the evil mastermind behind Bush.
Yep.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Why do you feel it's weird?
I was really young? But, the news was always on during dinner time.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I really think Bush was too stupid to call the shots.
He definitely was too stupid to call the shots.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I was really young? But, the news was always on during dinner time.
Oh okay. I was thinking of your intellect and figured you'd just know regardless of time period.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:

I forgot to ask you... out of the three... how conservative were all three? Which one was the most conservative, middle, least conservative?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Wow... some of those make me sick:

21 Reasons Why Ronald Reagan Was a Terrible President
Old 10-23-2017, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I forgot to ask you... out of the three... how conservative were all three? Which one was the most conservative, middle, least conservative?
I would rate George W. Bush as the most conservative, because he was heavily influenced by Dick Chaney and Donald Rumsfeld, Ronald Reagan as the middle conservative, and George H.W. Bush as the least conservative. I also feel that George H.W. Bush was the most intelligent out of the three.

Quote:
Wow. It's appalling isn't it?

Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Welcome.
Do you believe it?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread