Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Exactly. The conversation has gotten started. We have to hope it continues.
It definitely can't go on like this.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I don’t know the details, but the way he has den maligned for kneeling is iffy and I don’t think he would go for this lawsuit lightly. Either way I think his career in the nfl is dead and I don’t think it has to do with the social media/opting out of his contract. Had he not started the kneeling I doubt all 32 teams would not sign him. Maybe some but not all.
It's a shame he hasn't been signed. He's better than every back up in the NFL (Cincy and NE are probably the two exceptions) and probably better than half the current starters. This situation is definitely wrong. I just don't think he can win the case and I was slowly holding out hope he'd get a call from an NFL team. Probably naive thinking. Some are saying it could still happen and if it did he'd instantly drop the case so who knows. Green Bay would be stupid not to consider him given what happened to Rodgers yesterday and their terrible back up who has to step in now.

Last edited by jediwands; 10-16-2017 at 03:16 PM
Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
It definitely can't go on like this.
It definitely cannot. I was reading two posters (Europeans) on another board talking about the situation and they actually believe it is a negative thing to talk about this stuff because Hollywood is involved and this doesn't just happen in Hollywood so they don't want Hollywood lighting the way. I don't really understand what they're trying to say, LOL, so I stopped reading.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree that Colin has not been signed because of his kneeling and probably would make it worse for himself if he took legal action against the NFL...not that it could be much worse.
I do see the other side as well, though. NFL teams are like mini companies. Companies want to make money. I believe a company has every right to protect itself from losing money and from negative publicity. It does have a right not to sign someone who they feel would have negative effects on their team.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Most certainly people would react and ticket sales would go down. The thing is the reaction doesn't mean these people are racist. The truth of the matter is there is a large group of people who feel the American Flag was disrespected and there was a different way to go about making these positive changes.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I guess my stance is that any form of protest can be viewed as disrespecting the flag. To me his is much less disrespectful than the hippies who burned the flag at protests in the 60s. I just hate when people use patriotism to justify inequality especially since many veterans supported him with the kneeling. Sometimes you have to do the uncomfortable to bring light to a situation. It’s a shame that he is esssentially being blackballed for it.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Well, I've stated how i feel about this issue before so I won't repeat myself, but personally I think that kneeling while the National Anthem is being played shows disrespect for the United States of America and to the men and women who have served their country and most especially to the men and women who have given their lives to their country.

I don't think that Colin Kaepernick will win his case because I don't think all the NFL Owners colluded to shut him out, but like Betty said they run businesses and hiring him could be bad for business.

Ironically though, thanks to Trump and his big mouth, now a lot more players are taking a knee due to his stupid remarks, so this protest has taken on a different dimension and Kaepernick's case could be even further weakened now because the NFL owners aren't firing every player that is taking a knee. Trump needs to keep his mouth shut and stop posting stupid things on his Twitter Account, but we all know that he never will. I honestly believe that he's the worst President in the history of our country.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-16-2017, 09:00 PM
Administrator

On another topic, my heart goes out to all of the women who’ve been posting me too on places like Facebook, because that means that they too have been the victim of a sexual assault or they’ve been sexually harassed. As someone who’s always treated women with the utmost of respect and who has women as friends, I’m appalled by the behavior of many men, not just in Hollywood and in the Executive Branch, past and present, but in everyday life. I hope all this negative publicity that people like Harvey Weinstein are receiving will make some men wake up and realize that it’s not right to harass women and that the atmosphere that encourages such reprehensible behavior needs to change.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
On another topic, my heart goes out to all of the women who’ve been posting me too on places like Facebook, because that means that they too have been the victim of a sexual assault or they’ve been sexually harassed. As someone who’s always treated women with the utmost of respect and who has women as friends, I’m appalled by the behavior of many men, not just in Hollywood and in the Executive Branch, past and present, but in everyday life. I hope all this negative publicity that people like Harvey Weinstein are receiving will make some men wake up and realize that it’s not right to harass women and that the atmosphere that encourages such reprehensible behavior needs to change.
Amen. The conversation needs to be ongoing, open lines of communication is the key.

Trump is the worst.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

An African American guest/analyst on ESPN about two weeks ago... for the life of me I cannot remember his name! I don't mean Smith either. I've always agreed with this guy. I can't remember his name even if I can picture his face inside my head right now! But anyway, this intelligent guy said he's all for protesting but he believes the platform and how Colin and others are protesting is wrong. He said it never should have started to begin with. He absolutely said it's disrespecting our country, the Americans who have served our country and it's wrong. He said if people want to go protest some of the crooked police, lead the way and he'll go protest with them in the right setting. He mentioned going to a police station and peacefully protesting outside of the station, and other appropriate places. But he said for these rich male athletes to use the NFL/place of business to disrespect the American Flag and disrupt the place of business is wrong and inappropriate. He also mentioned the money factor... these rich men who really don't represent the average American. Honestly this gentleman was so bang on, I am not even doing his words justice because they were so good. I do agree with him.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
It definitely cannot. I was reading two posters (Europeans) on another board talking about the situation and they actually believe it is a negative thing to talk about this stuff because Hollywood is involved and this doesn't just happen in Hollywood so they don't want Hollywood lighting the way. I don't really understand what they're trying to say, LOL, so I stopped reading.
Yeah, I would have stopped reading too. Do you think other things have been covered up in Hollywood?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Yeah, I would have stopped reading too. Do you think other things have been covered up in Hollywood?
I definitely do. About a year ago I read a report on sexuality and Hollywood. According to this report, there are way more bisexuals/gays in Hollywood and the public has no idea since they cover up for each other as it can negatively affect their careers as actors. It's stupid because it doesn't matter who is gay, bi or straight. However, especially way back in the day when it wasn't as accepting by conservatives (and they felt they wouldn't be taken seriously as actors), this sort of thing was kept quiet in Hollywood.

So that's an example even if it's something we look at now and can't believe it HAS to be covered up since it's no big deal. But I'm sure there's other things as well. What do you think?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
An African American guest/analyst on ESPN about two weeks ago... for the life of me I cannot remember his name! I don't mean Smith either. I've always agreed with this guy. I can't remember his name even if I can picture his face inside my head right now! But anyway, this intelligent guy said he's all for protesting but he believes the platform and how Colin and others are protesting is wrong. He said it never should have started to begin with. He absolutely said it's disrespecting our country, the Americans who have served our country and it's wrong. He said if people want to go protest some of the crooked police, lead the way and he'll go protest with them in the right setting. He mentioned going to a police station and peacefully protesting outside of the station, and other appropriate places. But he said for these rich male athletes to use the NFL/place of business to disrespect the American Flag and disrupt the place of business is wrong and inappropriate. He also mentioned the money factor... these rich men who really don't represent the average American. Honestly this gentleman was so bang on, I am not even doing his words justice because they were so good. I do agree with him.
I completely agree with whoever said this.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I do agree that taking the knee probably wasn't the best venue for protest, but people were attacking those who were protesting the cops and calling them terrorist. I think the way it is now in the US, if you are black and speak up against the violence against african americans or systemic racism, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I just hope there is a swing the other direction, but I feel hopeless tbh. The country should stand for more, but until people can accept the atrocities that are happening while people where a badge I don't think it will. We as a society convinced ourselves everything was healed with the Civil Rights Act of 1965. I think what shocks me is how much of the little progress from that time has been undone. I mean they literally are taking To Kill A Mockingbird out of schools cause it makes racists feel uncomfortable.

God help us.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I do agree that taking the knee probably wasn't the best venue for protest, but people were attacking those who were protesting the cops and calling them terrorist. I think the way it is now in the US, if you are black and speak up against the violence against african americans or systemic racism, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I just hope there is a swing the other direction, but I feel hopeless tbh. The country should stand for more, but until people can accept the atrocities that are happening while people where a badge I don't think it will. We as a society convinced ourselves everything was healed with the Civil Rights Act of 1965. I think what shocks me is how much of the little progress from that time has been undone. I mean they literally are taking To Kill A Mockingbird out of schools cause it makes racists feel uncomfortable.

God help us.
Removing To Kill A Mockingbird is absurd. It's also ridiculous to remove the Statue of Christopher Columbus at Columbus Circle in Manhattan. This is what citizens are calling for.

Regarding people who accept atrocities that some police are engaging in...who are these people? I don't know anyone who believes cops should kill innocent people. I also believe that now everyone is more aware that this is happening and are vigilant to investigate thoroughly after any incident of this kind.
I still think the majority of cops are good cops and we need them in our time of need. It's unfortunate that there are those in the force who shouldn't be there. Either they are not emotionally or psychologically fit for the job or they are bad human beings. I would hope that the police are being more careful with whom they hire and I think having a camera in every police car should be mandatory.
Do these protesters believe that the police and general public don't care that innocent people are being targeted or killed by cops? I don't know anyone who doesn't care. What will these protests accomplish? I really think they are having a negative affect on a very serious situation.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 10-17-2017 at 08:06 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread