Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Master Fan

County High Cafeteria #98 (General OT): We cruise over OT threads even with visual migraine

Old 02-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Master Fan

Last page of the previous thread
Old 02-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I love this title. Excellent! Thanks for it!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
I love this title. Excellent! Thanks for it!
Glad that you liked it . As always you know that you can change it if you have something better in mind. I just thought that this was fitting given the circumstances .
Old 02-26-2017, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Title's perfect!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

love the title.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Master Fan

Glad that you like it!

So what is the plan for this week guys?

Michelle will you work from home or you will have to go to the university?

Here Friday is bank day so this week will be just 4 working days.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Good that you have a shortened week! That is the best kind of week.

I'm working from home today, Tuesday, Wednesday, but Thursday I have to go in for two meetings. Friday is still kind of up in the air but I think I can tie things up enough on Thursday (even if I have to stay a little longer at the U Thursday) to work from home Friday as well.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Good that you have a shortened week! That is the best kind of week.
That is true in general, but in this case the week will be for like 5 days. Our co-workers from France are here and we will spend all 4 days in meetings. Today we started at 9:30 am and ended up in 7 pm. And man French people talk really weird English . No I mean it's most probably my problem, but to me they sound French. And I don't know enough French to understand them so it requires efforts on my part to understand them.

Quote:
I'm working from home today, Tuesday, Wednesday, but Thursday I have to go in for two meetings. Friday is still kind of up in the air but I think I can tie things up enough on Thursday (even if I have to stay a little longer at the U Thursday) to work from home Friday as well.
What are the meetings about? Good that you will be able to work mostly from home. I hope that you manage to do everything on Thursday so that you can be at home Friday.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
That is true in general, but in this case the week will be for like 5 days. Our co-workers from France are here and we will spend all 4 days in meetings. Today we started at 9:30 am and ended up in 7 pm. And man French people talk really weird English . No I mean it's most probably my problem, but to me they sound French. And I don't know enough French to understand them so it requires efforts on my part to understand them.
It's not just you. They have a very thick French accent when attempting to speak English and trust me, as an English speaker, I even have difficulty understanding sometimes as well. They do sound French when they speak English. All I know is I've heard other people from different countries speak English, even "bad" English with the pronunciation not perfect, yet I can understand them much better. Even in the Harry Potter series there's a French character. Rowling spells out the way this character pronounces things. So like for Harry it is 'Arrrrry and I have to say... it gets annoying at times. I mean, Rowling isn't annoying... having this character with this accent is annoying! I keep thinking... "Speak English, Fleur, not French while speaking English!" One of the characters (Ginny) hated Fleur (at least initially) so she made fun of her arrogance and accent. It was fun. It helped with having to read 'Arry and the ZZZZ pronunciation with everything else.

So what are you doing with them in these meetings?

Quote:
What are the meetings about? Good that you will be able to work mostly from home. I hope that you manage to do everything on Thursday so that you can be at home Friday.
Those projects. I think I'll go in ultra early Thursday... maybe even around 3 AM so I'll make sure I don't have to return on Friday.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-27-2017 at 12:10 PM
Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Koni, check this out...

Fleur speaking in Harry Potter:

Quote:
"Bill is very busy at ze moment, working very 'ard, and I only work part-time at Gringotts for my Eenglish, so he brought me 'ere for a few days to get to know 'is family properly. I was so pleased to 'ear you would be coming — zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
—Fleur explains why she's staying at The Burrow[src]
Here's French arrogance, ahaha:

Quote:
"You thought that I would not weesh to marry him? Or per'aps you hoped? What do I care how he looks? I am good-looking enough for both of us, I theenk! All these scars show is zat my husband is brave!"
—Fleur Delacour after seeing Bill's badly-scarred face[src]
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She definitely has confidence, that is for sure.

Here's two French characters speaking together:

Quote:
Fleur: "Madame Maxime! Zey are saying zat zis little boy is to compete also!"
Madame Maxime: "What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?"
— Fleur Delacour and Madame Maxime[src]

Ginny calls Fleur a cow and Phlegm.

Oh and Hermione who is the voice of reason:

Quote:
"I know, she's so full of herself."
—Hermione's opinion of Fleur[src]

But yes, Rowling writes it out this way which proves our theory that they are difficult to understand while speaking English.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I have never really felt the need for people to speak perfect English. It's like when Americans/Canadians butcher Spanish and English and speak with a horrid accent. It's the difficulty that comes with learning another language as an adult.

But with that said the French are very arrogant
Old 02-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I have never really felt the need for people to speak perfect English. It's like when Americans/Canadians butcher Spanish and English and speak with a horrid accent. It's the difficulty that comes with learning another language as an adult.

But with that said the French are very arrogant
What bothers me slightly with the French is there's this theory (endless people who have been to France say this anyway) get mad when people don't speak French in their country, and even when people do, they make fun of and are critical of the way people speak it (for sure in Paris) but yet they are super hard to understand when speaking English. It's like... do they realize this? LOL

I much prefer the French Canadian French/accent anyway. LOVE it in fact.

I had a French friend (ex-friend after finally figuring out she was anti-American, very arrogant, snobbish, total narcissist) who basically made fun of the way French Canadians speak French. She said in so many words it's a fake imitation of the real thing. So damn arrogant and pathetic. I always told her I preferred French Canadian French, which I know she didn't appreciate. I didn't say it to get under her skin either, I said it because it's the way I feel.

For me it's all about the energy behind the person/culture and what I find pleasing and what's a huge turn off. Someone from a different country could come here, speak the worst English on the planet but if they're pure at heart I will adore the person and give the shirt off my back.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
What bothers me slightly with the French is there's this theory (endless people who have been to France say this anyway) get mad when people don't speak French in their country, and even when people do, they make fun of and are critical of the way people speak it (for sure in Paris) but yet they are super hard to understand when speaking English. It's like... do they realize this? LOL

I much prefer the French Canadian French/accent anyway. LOVE it in fact.

I had a French friend (ex-friend after finally figuring out she was anti-American, very arrogant, snobbish, total narcissist) who basically made fun of the way French Canadians speak French. She said in so many words it's a fake imitation of the real thing. So damn arrogant and pathetic. I always told her I preferred French Canadian French, which I know she didn't appreciate. I didn't say it to get under her skin either, I said it because it's the way I feel.

For me it's all about the energy behind the person/culture and what I find pleasing and what's a huge turn off. Someone from a different country could come here, speak the worst English on the planet but if they're pure at heart I will adore the person and give the shirt off my back.
Yeah I agree with you. I can't stand the paternalistic frenchies but French Canadians are kind of like that too unless they come from a working class background.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Did you ever see the Monty Python movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail where they go to a French Castle and the French taunt them?

It's hilarious!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Closed Thread   Post New Thread