Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2017, 06:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Good idea. I bet you feel so much better being home now.
. I am one of those types of people that always prefer home. I am not much into traveling. In fact I definitely prefer to not go often on business trips.

Quote:
How were the flights?
The first one was smoother compared to the second one. Overall though they were better than that bad one on Sunday.

Quote:
Very possible it's weather-related. The weather has been so bipolar lately. Extreme heat and then even chilly. Maybe it has to do with the weather changes. Everyone around me is sick right now too so I'm a ticking time bomb, lol, Nieces were sick, sister is sick, brother-in-law got a touch of what they have/had. Dad and I are healthy but have spent time with them so it's only a matter of time.
I hope that you don't get sick!

Here the weather now is constantly colder, but in France felt more like summer so now my body has issues adapting to the weather changes.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Got it. Wow, very telling one left because she got fed up with the French guys.
And just last month a guy left the team as well for the same reason.

Quote:
Definitely wouldn't surprise me. French ex-friend went to NYC and judged almost everything about the city. NYC! Not saying everyone has to love NYC but come on now. There are things there that don't exist elsewhere yet she was complaining. That's what they do, they complain.
On one of the nights they had arranged a dinner in nearby town. The Brazilian guy had to drop us at the hotel afterwards. So he was saying that the French are in general negative even in their language. Like instead of saying that something is good they would say not bad. So yeah maybe they do like to complain a lot.

Quote:
I actually like that about Germans. They don't play games. They are who they are. If you treat them with respect they will exchange the favor.
Exactly! And even if you have disagreements they forget them pretty quickly. They are open and honest with each other and then they move on.

Quote:
Is your company working with them indefinitely? Is there an endpoint to this madness?
No end. They bought most of us so there is no way to end this. Unless they want to sell us and I don't think that this would happen. At least for now I do not think this way because they bought us for a reason and they spent already 3 years making this work. This means lots of investment. They have to be really desperate to sell us. And we are not the first company they bought so they are experienced enough to handle such situations.

The difference most probably relies in the fact that for now they have bought a company for only one reason. Say we need something and they developed something. They bought us at first for one reason - my project. However after this they found few other reasons to stay. So the things are a bit differently this time for them as well.

Quote:
Haha this really is a game. A game that I know you will continue to come out on top too.
To be honest I am content with myself. I expected myself to be a lot more frustrated than I was. I expected myself to explode too (like you said), but I did it only once and it was not work related. It's because of their security and their rules. Every day they would give us guest card for access and wanted to keep our ID cards and I was not OK with leaving my most important document there. In Bulgaria this is illegal and so my reaction was quite normal. We would ask questions in English and they would answer us in French. I explained the moderator that I am OK with leaving a document for their insurance, but not my ID and definitely not when it's not explained what they want to do.

Overall though I was dealing with it OK. I held my own for sure, but it was in the most respectful way possible. Disagreements were to be expected anyway. I knew from the beginning that we will have to meet half way. I can't expect them to just agree with me immediately, but I also would not also agree with them for everything either.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Going on 2 AM and wide awake. Insomnia strikes again.
. Can food have anything to do with this?

Quote:
Also, I managed to accidentally get some toothpaste in my eye. It was burning/stinging and now red. I washed it out with tap water and now keep popping artificial tears.
Ah this sucks . I hope that it would calm down soon.

Quote:
If the insomnia and toothpaste in eye wasn't enough my right knee is flaring up... the front of my knee feels like tons of needles are going on it. It's hard to get comfortable with the sharp pain.

So I'm on the couch downstairs with Buddy sleeping next to me hoping I'll be able to sleep soon.

Fun times. Lol
I hope that you will be able to fall asleep!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
. Can food have anything to do with this?

Ah this sucks . I hope that it would calm down soon.

I hope that you will be able to fall asleep!
I honestly have no idea why insomnia is happening for me quite frequently right now. Maybe it's my mind being busy, I am not sure? I did get to sleep around 4 and slept until 9.

The eye situation is better! No more stinging and didn't lose my vision which is a good thing.

Knee is killing me. I cannot bend it a certain way, I was having major issues finding a comfortable position while being flat on my back or side too. I remember tweaking it about a week ago I believe and I think it set this flare up off. I have severe arthritis in both knees, torn ACLs, cart damage so both knees are a mess and any little tweak is going to set something off. This was delayed though. The pain is a bit different, sharp pains and it's located in a specific spot. Oh well, hopefully it improves over the next few days.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
. I am one of those types of people that always prefer home. I am not much into traveling. In fact I definitely prefer to not go often on business trips.
So glad you're home!

Quote:
The first one was smoother compared to the second one. Overall though they were better than that bad one on Sunday.
That's great! What did you do in the airport with your time before the second flight?

Quote:
I hope that you don't get sick!

Here the weather now is constantly colder, but in France felt more like summer so now my body has issues adapting to the weather changes.
Thanks! Is everyone around you fairly healthy?

I bet! That constant back and forth and differences in weather is a killer for so many.

How's your face? Has the break out improved since getting away from their water?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
And just last month a guy left the team as well for the same reason.
Really? Wow, so a definite pattern.

Quote:
On one of the nights they had arranged a dinner in nearby town. The Brazilian guy had to drop us at the hotel afterwards. So he was saying that the French are in general negative even in their language. Like instead of saying that something is good they would say not bad. So yeah maybe they do like to complain a lot.
OMG, I noticed this was well with the ex-friend! He is so right on about this. It's very true. It's just their culture. They are never overly positive. What do you think of the Brazilian guy? Do you overall like him?

Quote:
Exactly! And even if you have disagreements they forget them pretty quickly. They are open and honest with each other and then they move on.
Right! My one aunt married a German and he could be cold at times when annoyed but always got over it very quickly. He was a straighter shooter though. He never played with you, he was honest and open. He was (he has since passed) one of my favorite uncles! He left me alone overall but at times we had some discussions and I always felt very comfortable with him.

Quote:
No end. They bought most of us so there is no way to end this. Unless they want to sell us and I don't think that this would happen. At least for now I do not think this way because they bought us for a reason and they spent already 3 years making this work. This means lots of investment. They have to be really desperate to sell us. And we are not the first company they bought so they are experienced enough to handle such situations.

The difference most probably relies in the fact that for now they have bought a company for only one reason. Say we need something and they developed something. They bought us at first for one reason - my project. However after this they found few other reasons to stay. So the things are a bit differently this time for them as well.
Got it. How successful is their company?

Quote:
To be honest I am content with myself. I expected myself to be a lot more frustrated than I was. I expected myself to explode too (like you said), but I did it only once and it was not work related. It's because of their security and their rules. Every day they would give us guest card for access and wanted to keep our ID cards and I was not OK with leaving my most important document there. In Bulgaria this is illegal and so my reaction was quite normal. We would ask questions in English and they would answer us in French. I explained the moderator that I am OK with leaving a document for their insurance, but not my ID and definitely not when it's not explained what they want to do.

Overall though I was dealing with it OK. I held my own for sure, but it was in the most respectful way possible. Disagreements were to be expected anyway. I knew from the beginning that we will have to meet half way. I can't expect them to just agree with me immediately, but I also would not also agree with them for everything either.
That's awesome. You are very intelligent, mature, and know how to handle the business side as well as the interpersonal communication. I think it's great because we are both Introverts so these situations are not ideal but you absolutely know how to handle not only dealing with a group of people, but a group in a different country, with definite culture quirks as well.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Right! My one aunt married a German and he could be cold at times when annoyed but always got over it very quickly. He was a straighter shooter though. He never played with you, he was honest and open. He was (he has since passed) one of my favorite uncles! He left me alone overall but at times we had some discussions and I always felt very comfortable with him.
That's very true. My mother was mostly German and she was very quick to anger but she got over it quickly. My father was Irish and he was slow to anger but once he got angry he stayed angry and he didn't get over it for a long time. My mother could be tough but she had a kind heart and she showed affection much more than my father did. My father also had a kind heart in his own way and he's go out of his way to help anyone who needed help. He had a gentle and bantering sense of humor and his way of showing affection was to jokingly tease you, but it was a gentle teasing.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Did everyone have a good weekend? I bought a bunch of squash and pumpkins at an outdoor sale and I want to try out this recipe for pumpkin soup.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
Did everyone have a good weekend? I bought a bunch of squash and pumpkins at an outdoor sale and I want to try out this recipe for pumpkin soup.
I did have a good weekend and Pumpkins were involved. I actually traveled to 3 states in 25 miles. I am in PA for the weekend to babysit, because my son and DIL went to a wedding in NJ. Yesterday...I started out in PA and 15 miles later was in Delaware eating lunch. About 10 miles later I was in Maryland apple picking and Pumpkin picking.
I am in an area where all 3 states touch each other.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
That's very true. My mother was mostly German and she was very quick to anger but she got over it quickly. My father was Irish and he was slow to anger but once he got angry he stayed angry and he didn't get over it for a long time. My mother could be tough but she had a kind heart and she showed affection much more than my father did. My father also had a kind heart in his own way and he's go out of his way to help anyone who needed help. He had a gentle and bantering sense of humor and his way of showing affection was to jokingly tease you, but it was a gentle teasing.
It is interesting to notice the differences in personalities within the family and culture certainly plays a part. We are both lucky, Jerry... we had/have some amazing parents. Do you find that you take after your mom or dad when it comes to personality/mood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu
That sounds awesome. I love this time of the year. Love pumpkins, hot apple cider, Halloween, the weather. It goes by way too quickly.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I did have a good weekend and Pumpkins were involved. I actually traveled to 3 states in 25 miles. I am in PA for the weekend to babysit, because my son and DIL went to a wedding in NJ. Yesterday...I started out in PA and 15 miles later was in Delaware eating lunch. About 10 miles later I was in Maryland apple picking and Pumpkin picking.
I am in an area where all 3 states touch each other.
Wow that sounds like fun.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I honestly have no idea why insomnia is happening for me quite frequently right now. Maybe it's my mind being busy, I am not sure? I did get to sleep around 4 and slept until 9.
Could be that your mind is busy ! Is there something occupying your mind currently?

Quote:
The eye situation is better! No more stinging and didn't lose my vision which is a good thing.
Definitely good!

Quote:
Knee is killing me. I cannot bend it a certain way, I was having major issues finding a comfortable position while being flat on my back or side too. I remember tweaking it about a week ago I believe and I think it set this flare up off. I have severe arthritis in both knees, torn ACLs, cart damage so both knees are a mess and any little tweak is going to set something off. This was delayed though. The pain is a bit different, sharp pains and it's located in a specific spot. Oh well, hopefully it improves over the next few days.
I hope that it improves. If not maybe you should visit a doctor?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
So glad you're home!
Me too! Next week I am in vacation and plan to visit my parents. I also have to make an appointment with eye doctor.

Quote:
That's great! What did you do in the airport with your time before the second flight?
Talking with my boss. We were discussing some work related stuff and basically did some sort of retrospective on the workshop once that everything had finished.

Quote:
Thanks! Is everyone around you fairly healthy?
So far yes .

Quote:
I bet! That constant back and forth and differences in weather is a killer for so many.
. Also there is one hour difference between France and Bulgaria and it seems that I need some time to adapt to this difference as well.

Quote:
How's your face? Has the break out improved since getting away from their water?
It seems a bit better. Like it calmed down a little bit.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Really? Wow, so a definite pattern.
Definitely .

Quote:
OMG, I noticed this was well with the ex-friend! He is so right on about this. It's very true. It's just their culture. They are never overly positive.
It's in their language. They basically have no words to express such things in a positive way. Also usually their polite way of asking something (similar to would you) is "s'il vous plaƮt". This means if it pleases you. So they are definitely more focused on themselves in a way.

Quote:
What do you think of the Brazilian guy? Do you overall like him?
For discussion outside work sure no issues. For work? Not so much. He does fits in a stereotype I have about Brazilians. I am not saying that all are like that, but there are some specific cultural stuff that I see in him that I have seen for example in Brazilian volleyball players. And it's something I usually do not like.

Quote:
Yeah they are like that! They are not the overly emotional or close people you would think about. There are of course people like that, but the overall rule for them is that they are a bit reserved, but indeed very honest and open.

Quote:
Got it. How successful is their company?
It's big and successful, but I am not sure what is the reason for it. We are not the first company they have bought and I doubt that we will be the last one. So obviously a lot of things come to play for them to be successful. Plus they started as us oriented in travel, but in different area. We are focused on business travel only. They started in leisure travel and both sectors and areas are quite different.

Quote:
That's awesome. You are very intelligent, mature, and know how to handle the business side as well as the interpersonal communication. I think it's great because we are both Introverts so these situations are not ideal but you absolutely know how to handle not only dealing with a group of people, but a group in a different country, with definite culture quirks as well.
I of course still have things to work on and improve, but I was afraid that it could be worse . I was afraid that I would have to control myself more, but that was not the case. I really was not pissed in the sense of being pissed. I just am the type of person to never stop arguing for something if I think that I am right. Or if I decide to not argue I say something like "I do not like this and you know my opinion about this but let's move on". I know how annoying is this for people, but it's something I can't help. If I strongly disagree with something I usually have a lot of reasons to do so.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Could be that your mind is busy ! Is there something occupying your mind currently?

Definitely good!

I hope that it improves. If not maybe you should visit a doctor?
If there is something occupying my mind, I am consciously unaware. It's after midnight and I am wide-awake again. I guess I'm in for another long night.

Thanks. My knee still hurts, but the excruciating type of pain I had yesterday has decreased. I know if I went in and had testing they would talk surgery and I'm not going to be interested in surgery yet. I want to put off surgery on both knees for as long as I can. I am encouraged that the pain has gotten better over the last 24 hours. Still hurts but not like yesterday since the sharp pain is better.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread