Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, i understand as well. I think it's easier for DC because it's been over for 7 years and while there are still fans, there still aren't as many people here as in other present shows, books and movies.

And ship wars aren't that big in this fandom anymore. Not to say that there aren't any, but just a lot less than there used to be (You guys should see the iCarly fandom. My god.)

I loathed that as well. I really feel like all he did was fall in love with Joey. Yes, they probably should have told Dawson about them instead of sneaking around for a week, but seriously...he and Joey weren't even together when she was with Pacey. I feel like Dawson especially forgot that fact, with the way he acted. See, he still always acted like he had a hold on her. It was frustrating to no end.

And i know it hurt Dawson. Of course it did. But i honestly think he could have reacted way better. Hurt, yes. But not...like that. Yelling at them, i get at that point in time. But giving Joey that ultimatum? Saying things like "Do you need him more than you need me?" and still being horrible and hurtful to Pacey weeks after it all went down...that stupid boat race...ignoring Pacey still after he apologized...

I could go on. He just did so many things he should have apologized for. And he felt he was so entitled that he didn't have to. I bet he thought the whole time that he did nothing, that he didn't have any reason to apologize, that he was the victim of it all. I absolutely hate that.
clarkson_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Ali
Master Fan

I really think he believed he didn't owe anyone an apology which just makes him so much worse in my eyes.

Quote:
Yeah, i understand as well. I think it's easier for DC because it's been over for 7 years and while there are still fans, there still aren't as many people here as in other present shows, books and movies.

And ship wars aren't that big in this fandom anymore. Not to say that there aren't any, but just a lot less than there used to be (You guys should see the iCarly fandom. My god.)
I've seen some of it on Tumblr. It's crazy. But I think the majority of them are super young. Then again Lost was one of the most horrible fandoms I was ever a part of and it was mainly adults. But yeah, it is so nice to be a fan of a show that has ended because, for the most part, everything is rainbows and butterflies.
Dawson's Creek board!
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I's funny to see DC discussed as a show that's not so bad for ship wars though, it used to get so bad But yeah things have mostly cooled down these days

And I can understand Dawson feeling more hurt with Pacey actually becaue Pacey was his best friend, and if we're looking at it objectively (cause I know Dawson behaved so horrdeously that it can be hard too ), then most guys would have been hurt if their best friend had kissed their ex-girlfriend behind their back. So I can actually understand why Dawson would end their friendship

But I really think he had no right to treat Joey the way they did as they were no longer together, and I never saw that she did anything wrong And of course in the end Dawson took it way too far with both of them and he owed Pacey an apology too in 403. Dawson was the only one of the tringle that was actually deliberately hurtful to his friends,and the writers seemed to forget that. Okay if he decides not to speak to them any more then that is his right, but it was a really low thing to emotionally manipulate Joey by holding their friendship over their head so that she would break up with Pacey. And then the show wants to portray it as some big heroic sacrifice of Dawsons's "Pacey is this years Paris", "I'm letting you go, you're free" when he finally does do the right thing
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Elite Fan

omg, dont EVEN get me started with the whole "im letting you go" speech. there is nothing i hate MORE than that on ANY television show out there. ali probably knows who else i have in mind but yeah, ughhhhh. JOEY WAS NEVER HIS PROPERTY! she isn't property. period. It makes me sick that not only is she generally not anybody's "prize," but that she wasn't even his GF at the time and he still treated her like she cheated.
Touldengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 AM
Ali
Master Fan

"You're free." I'm laughing because it's so patently absurd. And it kind of makes me think the writers were misogynists.

The writers always had every character talking Dawson up all the time saying how he was the greatest. But actions speak louder than words. He usually failed to live up to the hype.

Quote:
ali probably knows who else i have in mind
"You're MINE!"
Dawson's Creek board!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touldengal (View Post)
omg, dont EVEN get me started with the whole "im letting you go" speech. there is nothing i hate MORE than that on ANY television show out there.

I know what you mean. After all the things he put Joey through at the end of season 3 up until she was literally about to break down in his arms i was wondering if the writers actually wanted someone to still root for this couple. Then when it gets to the dock scene I think theyre going to redeem his character (which honestly it wouldve had to have been the best speech ever written for me to try to like him) and we get that. It was the most arrogant thing ive ever heard. "I could tell you this is the biggest mistake and that all roads lead back to me.....":mad. I cant believe that was supposed to be seen as a if you love someone set them free moment. The only thing that saved that scene for me was the epic cry face.
Anti-Soulmates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Elite Fan

Hahaha!

The whole "if you love someone, set them free" thing could be beautiful, but not in this context. He could have said something about her not staying just to please him, or how he can't make her decisions based on other people's wants.. That would have been respectful... But the fact that he practically PHYSICALLY "let her go" wad the worst part of it all.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And it wasn't even really out of wanting Joey to be happy in an unselfish way. He basically only made the decision after she was practically crying in his arms as she discusses her summer with him, and you can see Dawson looking kind of shell-shocked and realising that he can't continue holding on to Joey through emotional manipulation.

He did try and force Joey into making a choice, so I don't see it as being particularly heroic to back off AFTER complaining that he doesn't deserve to be made to feel like Joey is stuck with him. Not to mention Joey even tells him that she may have chosen differently if she wasn't so afraid of losing her childhood friend. So really he only bowed out after he had already lost and Joey would be nothing but miserable at feeling cornered into staying with him

If anything he was playing on Joey's feelings even more by taking what should have been an obvious conclusion and attempting to make it into some big gesture of not wanting Joey to miss out on this years Paris. Suuuuure that's all that it was about, Joey's feelings

Last edited by FrellingTralk; 09-28-2011 at 11:40 AM
FrellingTralk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Elite Fan

Ica. He basically made it about him.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisocial (View Post)
So really he only bowed out after he had already lost
Nothing heroic about that writers! So were we supposed to feel sorry for him because he cried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Soulmates (View Post)
The only thing that saved that scene for me was the epic cry face.
Priceless!
-Safe
‘ChelsღChina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Elite Fan

That was awful lol... I was so happy Joey didn't wait around to comfort him.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thats going to be my go to image when i have a bad day now.

Looking back at the ultimatum that makes me wanna say a lot of bad words, Dawson calls himself a consolation prize. I think he knew on some level that Joey really wanted Pacey but he felt that he knew what was best for her. Like SHE was the one living in a fantasy world. And she does tell him that she most likely wouldve chosen differently if he didnt give her the ultimatum. He was just so....DAWSON that he really didnt care.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Ali
Master Fan

I just think it's so obvious that Dawson never really wanted to be with Joey anyway. He just wanted to win. Like he said in BCWYWF, Pacey's job was to be the sidekick and make Dawson look good. Dawson couldn't have him taking the spotlight and certainly not his Joey. And he put Joey through all of that ****, manipulating her and making her feel guilty, because he knew that's the only way he could get her to choose him. He was a total creep.
Dawson's Creek board!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Elite Fan

i agree with u. it was all about winning and i think there is proof in it because he never seemed to be ready for Joey afterwards. and then in s3, he probably couldnt stomach the idea of pacey getting "his" girl.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yea I think his movie obsession gave him a complex. Like he felt that it was his role to "get the girl" because he was the lead guy. Like he never knew how to handle joey after the credits roll. He couldnt handle the day to day that came after.
Reply   Post New Thread