Icon Credit
Old 04-19-2018, 02:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxie (View Post)
Hi, Gwen, missed you here

I'm really having a hectic personal time right now That's why I've been away so long. Great to see you're all progressing with the thread

Quote:
Well, it's been a challenge. Took a long time

I think this is the longest time we've taken to reach a new thread since thread #15 or something When TLJ first came out, everyone was so hyped and in love with the Reylo stuff that it felt so easy to breeze through discussions.

Quote:
Yep, The Last Jedi

I have the movie and I'm not sure what my family thinks of it They haven't shared their opinions. My mom agreed that the Rey/Luke training stuff was a lot like Buffy and Giles' dynamic in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The only reason my mom wanted to see TLJ was because she loved Adam Driver's performance in The Force Awakens. She thinks the movies will suffer badly without Harrison Ford.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
I'm really having a hectic personal time right now That's why I've been away so long. Great to see you're all progressing with the thread

Well, of course, it should be your priority

Truth be told, I should be focusing more on other things too. I have a deadline for my Bachelor thesis in three weeks, but I'm kinda stuck right now. And also I'm barely keeping it together, so anxious and stressed out, basically freaking out every day and and this forum and Reylo is my escape from reality, which I really need.

Quote:
I have the movie and I'm not sure what my family thinks of it They haven't shared their opinions. My mom agreed that the Rey/Luke training stuff was a lot like Buffy and Giles' dynamic in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The only reason my mom wanted to see TLJ was because she loved Adam Driver's performance in The Force Awakens. She thinks the movies will suffer badly without Harrison Ford.

The movie comes out in our contry in a week, so will watch it with my family then. But I think that I won't get much out of them either I'm gonna try and bring Reylo up

Icon Credit
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Actaully, I read recentely on another forum, that since Ben is more like Padme and Rey more like Anakin, reversing Anidala would mean Ben being engaged politically and building a new system and loosing his powers in the process as some sort of attonement and Rey being the Jedi like Anakin and rebuilding the Jedi Order.

I think that this is nonsense for several reasons.

First, two Force users falling in love, that is an amazing aspect of their story and they have this amazing Force bond that no else has. It would be a crime to take it away.

Second, I think that the whole idea of balance wouldn't work, if of one them lost their powers. And also can Force "powers" even be taken away? It's been said many times that the Force is not a power people have, that it's something much more spiritual that just surrounds everything and the only thing that changes is someone's affinity to it.

Third, if the Jedi Order is rebuilt, it should be both of them, since one of the main reasony Kylo went to the dark side is his desire to destroy the Jedi Order and Luke, because how much it hurt him.

Fourth, I just feel like Ben isn't that much into politics and I also think that he wouldn't be a good leader. He doesn't strike me like a person that is suitable for leadership, which I think will prove in Episode IX.

I don't know. My idea for them has always been them leaving somewhere to live their happy life. And probably rebuilding the Jedi Order and not mixing it with politics, because that was one of the main problems in the PT. The Jedi meddled too much in politics.
If you think about it, even if the previous couples loved each other, Padme and Anakin, Leia and Han, they were so different that it failed. More with Padme and Anakin than Han and Leia.

But Padme was a politician and Anakin a Jedi. Failed couple. Han and Leia, a smuggler and a Princess/politician. It worked better than Padme/Anakin, but that's probably because they fought on the same side. Still, their "Professional" goals were too different.

Here, Ben and Rey are both Force users. For now, they are on opposite sides but in the end, I'm sure they'll end up on the same and that they will rebuild the Jedi order, but with a new philosophy that will mix learning about the Light side and the Dark side. A new order where family and feelings are part of life and not to be forgotten and left behind.

- Michael and Maria belong together (Thania St John, writer)
Icon : ?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:26 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmag (View Post)
If you think about it, even if the previous couples loved each other, Padme and Anakin, Leia and Han, they were so different that it failed. More with Padme and Anakin than Han and Leia.

But Padme was a politician and Anakin a Jedi. Failed couple. Han and Leia, a smuggler and a Princess/politician. It worked better than Padme/Anakin, but that's probably because they fought on the same side. Still, their "Professional" goals were too different.

Here, Ben and Rey are both Force users. For now, they are on opposite sides but in the end, I'm sure they'll end up on the same and that they will rebuild the Jedi order, but with a new philosophy that will mix learning about the Light side and the Dark side. A new order where family and feelings are part of life and not to be forgotten and left behind.

Exactly. Ben and Rey are literally the perfect couple that could really work. Like you said, if Ben became a politician and Rey a full time Jedi, they would be mixing religion and politics again, because how could they not, if they were married to each other.

And besides, being two Force users, falling in love, finally bringing balance to the Force, uniting light and dark, that's one of the reasons they are so epic

Icon Credit
Old 04-19-2018, 02:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
this forum and Reylo is my escape from reality, which I really need.

That's great There's nothing wrong with escapism. Like you said, it can give you clarity and more head-space. All work and no play = mess.

Quote:
The movie comes out in our contry in a week, so will watch it with my family then. But I think that I won't get much out of them either I'm gonna try and bring Reylo up

My mom liked the Prequels (except for TPM), and she likes Hayden, and she always seemed engaged in SW discussion about Anakin, but she doesn't say much about the Sequels and I think she's still furious that they killed off Han. Like me until Ben Solo existed, her favorite character was Han and she thought Harrison was the most charismatic of the group.

The only thing she asked me during the movie was, "so, is Rey the Last Jedi? Is that what the title means?"
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
The only thing she asked me during the movie was, "so, is Rey the Last Jedi? Is that what the title means?"

Actually, I read a meta recently, but I don't remember which one, but they pointed out that in TFA when Maz was talking to Rey about her belonging, Rey thinks it's Luke and so does the audience then, but it's never confirmed and we all now think or rather know that it was about Ben, and she thinks that they did the same thing with Luke's line and how the camera went immediately to Rey. They wanted to confuse the audience again. I mean Rey obviously will be a Jedi, but she definitely won't be the only one, I think that it applies to Ben too. And neither of them definitely wont be the last. Because at the end there were already Force sensitive children.

Icon Credit
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 AM
Elite Fan

It's true, in TFA, that line about belonging could have been about Luke. But as we saw in TLJ, it wasn't. He didn't want to train her, they had maybe 3 sessions together and in the end, he died without the two of them having bonded.

So that line about the belonging that Rey is looking for is ahead of her... it's not Luke. It's Ben. Sure, some will say, it's the Resistance. The Resistance is going to win and then what? They will all go their separate ways, Poe could form pilots or lead a political party, Finn could marry Rose, have children and have a job, and the rest... is Rey close to anybody else?

So it's not the REsistance where she will belong to. It's Ben and her destiny is the Force.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, it's pretty clear that it's not Luke since he's dead. And like you said, that leaves us what? The Ressistance? I'm pretty sure that Rey is looking for a deeper belonging. The Ressistance is not her family. Of course it can be too, like an other family, but the only thing Rey's always wanted was a family of her own, the real family, which she'll only gonna get true marriage. And honestly, it doesn't even matter whether she's an orphan or not. Almost every woman eventually wants to "leave" her original family and build a family of her own. Of course, Rey's desire to have a family is even bigger, because she is an orphan, but the Ressistance definitely is not what she wants.

And I can't believe that I saw some people saying that Rey doesn't need a romantic partner, that making her own path as hero of the Ressistance should be enough. Like I said, for some women it might be enough, but for most it definitely wouldn't be. And I agree that she doesn't need a romantic partner, she is a strong independent woman. But she definitely wants one and it wouldn't make her any less stronger. I just don't like this "feminist" approach.

And in the beginning Rey was introduced to us as someone who desperately wants her family and some sense of belonging. This was set up in the beginning, because this is gonna be her journey through all three movies and she's gonna get it at the end. Otherwise, why would they emphasize so much her need for a family.? This is her story arc. Finding her own path and her own belonging and the Ressistance is just not gonna cut it.

Icon Credit
Old 04-19-2018, 04:27 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And in the beginning Rey was introduced to us as someone who desperately wants her family and some sense of belonging. This was set up in the beginning, because this is gonna be her journey through all three movies and she's gonna get it at the end. Otherwise, why would they emphasize so much her need for a family.? This is her story arc. Finding her own path and her own belonging and the Ressistance is just not gonna cut it.
Yes, and she is looking for a conventional family: first her parents, then looking for parental figures, first in Han, then in Luke. The resistance consists of people from various planets, with families or not, and once the resistance wins, everyone will get back to their regular lives on their respective planets. So where will that leave Rey? Alone.

While with Ben, she has someone she knows and who knows her, who has the Force, like her, and who will want to rebuild Something with the Force. So they will have the same "Professional goal", that the other two couples I mentioned didn't have.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:39 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
While with Ben, she has someone she knows and who knows her, who has the Force, like her, and who will want to rebuild Something with the Force. So they will have the same "Professional goal", that the other two couples I mentioned didn't have.

Again, about the balance. It may not be new for some of you, but it is to me, because I didn't see the trailers. But I found this and how they were already hinting at Reylo and the balance in teaser trailer:

Remember Rey’s Forceback and how it had all these... - deal with it

Icon Credit
Old 04-19-2018, 05:00 AM
Elite Fan

The Force has been unbalanced for a long time so it's not surprising that it has enough and is trying to correct the mess by connecting Rey and Ben (with Snoke taking credit for it, I'm sure; if it were him, the bond would have stopped after his death).

Besides, I read there were two faces to the Force: the living force and the cosmic force. And that it's the cosmic force that is linking Ben and Rey (which would explain why, when they fight, something happens to stop it, the ground splitting in two in TFA, the lightsaber exploding in TLJ, when will those two crazy kids get the memo???)

Obviously, the balance can be achieved by having either Ben and Rey getting together/working together to create a new Jedi order balancing the light side and the dark side. Or by having them both dead at the end of IX and it would be a temporary balance since there are already new force sensitive kids who, if not trained in both the light and the dark, will use the force as they would powers or weapons, for their own purposes and it will turn ugly, once again. And besides, would Disney want to traumatize générations of kids by killing off their two main protagonists?

So.... yeah, it's obvious that Ben will survive IX.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
The Force has been unbalanced for a long time so it's not surprising that it has enough and is trying to correct the mess by connecting Rey and Ben (with Snoke taking credit for it, I'm sure; if it were him, the bond would have stopped after his death).

Actually, I don't think Snoke was lying. Sure the bond was established during the interrogation scene and it was the Force doing, not Snoke's, but I think that Snoke tried to exploit by visualising it. I think he got that idea, when he saif in TFA "I seense it's time to complete his training." because he recognized how he felt about Rey (the compassion line from the book) and he also sensed their special bond.

Quote:
Besides, I read there were two faces to the Force: the living force and the cosmic force. And that it's the cosmic force that is linking Ben and Rey (which would explain why, when they fight, something happens to stop it, the ground splitting in two in TFA, the lightsaber exploding in TLJ, when will those two crazy kids get the memo???)

I think there are even four forms of the Force, but not all of them were mentioned or used in the movies.

But yeah, they should take the hint

Quote:
Obviously, the balance can be achieved by having either Ben and Rey getting together/working together to create a new Jedi order balancing the light side and the dark side. Or by having them both dead at the end of IX and it would be a temporary balance since there are already new force sensitive kids who, if not trained in both the light and the dark, will use the force as they would powers or weapons, for their own purposes and it will turn ugly, once again. And besides, would Disney want to traumatize générations of kids by killing off their two main protagonists?

Yes, I don't think that both of them dying is the solution. Of course there will other Force users years after Ben and Rey are gone, but in order for this new philosophy to carry on, they have to found it first and lay down the groundwork. And I can't see anybody else doing since first, there aren't any other powerful Force users besides them and perhaps the KoR, otherwise they wouldn't be so desperately looking for Luke to help them, and second, even there were others, they are the only ones with enough experience with both light and darkness inside them. Thanks to their miserable childhoods, both have plenty of darkness inside, thus are the perfect people to learn how to balance with the light.

Icon Credit
Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Just two cents on the whole last jedi thing...when the movie got translated for other countries, the word Jedi was in plural. "Os Últimos Jedi". That question doesnt'come up in English because of how the language is constructed, but they made sure to use it in plural for the countries that use that rule. I know Rian kinda said that Luke was the last one but he said it like "ahm, yeah, sure" And the movie made it seem like it'd be Rey. But I don't think that's all. I think we'll have a generation of Jedi to look forward to in the comics/books, and I think both Rey and Kylo can be Jedi teachers.