Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I liked Ewan's preformance as Obi-Wan, especially in the Phantom Menace and Revenge of the sith

But I think Alec Guinness did an amazing job too.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ewan did a fantastic job of playing young Alec Guinness, in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

In one of the interviews on the blu ray re-release of all six films Ewan said he studied all of Alec's parts extensively and I think it showed.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Aww Ewan, such a true actor
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

I saw the trailer for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I don't think it's ecologically sound.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Obi-Wan was a complicated character, especially in the Original Trilogy, because let’s face it, he lied to Luke about who his father was, and when Luke confronted his “ghost” about it, he basically shrugged it off saying that when Anakin became Vader he destroyed the good man he had been. I also thought that the Prequel Trilogy did a poor job of depicting Anakin and Obi-Wan’s supposed “brother-like” relationship, because I really didn’t see their connection to the degree that I would have liked to, because Anakin came off more like a petty teenager than a man who was a great friend to Obi-Wan but who was seduced by the Dark Side.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, the prequels didn't do all that well at portraying Anakin and Kenobi's friendship. TCW is better in that regard.

Re Kenobi lying to Luke, it's worth remembering than when Kenobi was first written as telling Luke about his father being killed by Vader it was supposed to be the truth. Lucas hadn't yet made Vader Luke's father. Yet he insists he had it all planned from the beginning.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I will be inactive for awhile, going to New Jersey, I'll try to check this when I get wi-fi but I make no promises.

I should be back within a week tops.

Keep the thread active
Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Re Kenobi lying to Luke, it's worth remembering than when Kenobi was first written as telling Luke about his father being killed by Vader it was supposed to be the truth. Lucas hadn't yet made Vader Luke's father. Yet he insists he had it all planned from the beginning.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. That puts everything in a completely differerent light. Thanks sum!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

Yeah I really believe Lucas didn't come up with Vader being Luke's dad until after the first movie and I definitely believe he didn't come up with Luke and Leia being siblings until after EMPIRE!

I honestly think Ewan McGregor gives the best performance in the entire prequel trilogy, even more than Ian MacDirmid. He absolutely nails the scene after he cuts Anakin's limbs off and he catches on fire. Ewan's voice when he says this part:

You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!

You were my brother Anakin. I loved you.

I watched it again recently and still teared up.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
He absolutely nails the scene after he cuts Anakin's limbs off and he catches on fire. Ewan's voice when he says this part:
I Totally Agree. The heartache in his voice

Quote:
I saw the trailer for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I don't think it's ecologically sound.
I Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. It was SO GOOD!
You should watch it. Everybody should watch it.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
He absolutely nails the scene after he cuts Anakin's limbs off and he catches on fire. Ewan's voice when he says this part:
I Totally Agree. The heartache in his voice

Quote:
I Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. It was SO GOOD!
You should watch it. Everybody should watch it.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbak (View Post)
Yeah I really believe Lucas didn't come up with Vader being Luke's dad until after the first movie and I definitely believe he didn't come up with Luke and Leia being siblings until after EMPIRE!
Lucas actually once said he didn't originally know who Yoda's "There is another" line (in ESB) referred to. He just stuck it in so people would feel Luke could die.

Quote:
I honestly think Ewan McGregor gives the best performance in the entire prequel trilogy, even more than Ian MacDirmid. He absolutely nails the scene after he cuts Anakin's limbs off and he catches on fire. Ewan's voice when he says this part:

You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!

You were my brother Anakin. I loved you.

I watched it again recently and still teared up.
I think Liam Neeson's performance as Qui Gon was far better than anything McGregor or McDiarmid did. As for those lines, they don't have that effect on me. They just make me go "You actually believed that guff?"

Of course that's just my view and others often see it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Oh wow, I didn't know that. That puts everything in a completely differerent light. Thanks sum!

Last edited by sum1; 09-09-2012 at 01:50 PM
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think Liam Neeson's performance as Qui Gon was far better than anything McGregor or McDiarmid did. As for those lines, they don't have that effect on me. They just make go "You actually believed that guff?"
I like Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon but it's not the best work he's done. And as for believing that "guff", it was Qui-Gon who said Anakin was the "Chosen One", and since you're the one who said he gave the best performance...

I think my favorite line reading from Ewan though is in Episode II when Obi-Wan is captured on Geonosis and Count Dooku tries to get Obi-Wan to join him, telling him Qui-Gon disagreed with the council too and Obi-Wan goes: "Qui-Gon Jinn would never join you!" The way he says that, you could feel the loss he still feels and anger in him.

Last edited by Fastbak; 09-09-2012 at 09:51 AM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top