Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Master Fan

If You Were Lucas, Would You Have Chosen The Same Actors, For The Same Parts? Thread #3

A place to talk about any actors we would have liked to see in the films, any actors we thought were perfect, etc...

Previous Threads
http://www.fanforum.com/f99/if-you-w...e-parts-44256/
http://www.fanforum.com/f99/if-you-w.../#post36277810

stilldreaming's post, carried over from the old thread....

Quote:
I think there are definitely vibes between Obi-Wan and Padme... whether the actors or director intended it that way or not, I can see why the shippers choose to take that point of view. But is that the same as having multiple love interests? It's possible to be in a relationship with one person and have feelings for another... you can't control who you have feelings for, but you can choose not to ACT on them. I don't think it's wrong to HAVE the feelings, though (if she did, and that's obviously debatable).

And WOW, is it wrong to end up falling for someone who was initially a kind of big brother figure? Then I was a pretty nasty incestuous creature at 17... XD Some relationships start that way, and whether it's a good thing or not depends on the individuals. Some women want someone to protect them... maybe ESPECIALLY someone like Padme, who is usually the strong one herself, may be attracted to the idea of someone to look out for her and protect her? It's one viable way to look at it, anyway. (and if Obidala is wrong because he's "like a big brother," then isn't A/P wrong by the same standard, since she was like a mother or a big sister to him in TPM?)

I don't, for that matter, find Luke/Leia ships to be necessarily uncomfortable either. I'd feel more squeamish about two adopted siblings who were raised as brother and sister falling for each other than I would about two blood siblings who didn't even meet each other or know that the other existed until after puberty. A lot of the Luke/Leia fic I've read tries to deal with that issue too... they're attracted to each other, but trying to resist or just flat-out denying it. I don't know, that doesn't seem especially squicky to me, just sad.
I don't support the Obi-Wan/Padme ship because they had ONLY a big brother/little sister vibe IMHO. I think Ewan and Natalie definitely had good chemistry, but I never once got a romantic feeling from them.

I agree that people can have feelings for others and not be guilty of adultery... but I don't think Padme had romantic feelings for Obi-Wan, and I thought we were discussing a hypothetical situation where those feelings were acted on. I mostly assumed this because the line that most Obi-Wan/Padme shippers use to support their pairings is Anakin's accusation "you're with him now!" Being "with" someone implies acting on a feeling. Even though I don't think that's what Anakin meant by that line. I personally think he was talking about her taking the Jedi's side, with Obi-Wan representing the Jedi in his mind.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."

Last edited by FreedomsBullets; 11-23-2010 at 08:36 AM
Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Some women want someone to protect them... maybe ESPECIALLY someone like Padme, who is usually the strong one herself, may be attracted to the idea of someone to look out for her and protect her? It's one viable way to look at it, anyway. (and if Obidala is wrong because he's "like a big brother," then isn't A/P wrong by the same standard, since she was like a mother or a big sister to him in TPM?)
There is an Oedipal complex going on with A/P, and yea it makes them dysfunctional.
But I think Padmé wants to protect Anakin.

Quote:
Anakin's accusation "you're with him now!" Being "with" someone implies acting on a feeling. Even though I don't think that's what Anakin meant by that line. I personally think he was talking about her taking the Jedi's side, with Obi-Wan representing the Jedi in his mind.
In the novelization Palpatine puts seeds of doubt in Anakin's head about Obi-Wan and Padmé sneaking around.

But that not being in the movie can certainly lead that line to be interpreted that way.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
In the novelization Palpatine puts seeds of doubt in Anakin's head about Obi-Wan and Padmé sneaking around.
How did he get the seeds into his head? Did he do an operation on Anakin? What if they grew into a tree? Would Anakin's head pop open? Do seeds of doubt come off a doubt tree?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

You always do that. Take an expression and make it literal.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)

But that not being in the movie can certainly lead that line to be interpreted that way.
Stover has something for all our shipper desires. As I mentioned, the book oozes ho yay:

Anakin and Obi-Wan are said to be "closer than friends, closer than brothers." A short ways into the book, Anakin has a vision of Count Dooku on his knees with lightsabers held at his throat, thinks this means the end of the war, looks into Obi-Wan's eyes, and is overcome by emotion. The audiobook version puts soft, swelling happy music in at this point, too.

When going to Master Yoda about his vision of Padme dying, Anakin is aware that Yoda knows he's talking about losing someone he's very close to - and decides to let Yoda think it's Obi-Wan, because that's "close enough".

On Grievous's flagship, the part where Obi-Wan wakes up while being carried by Anakin is from Obi-Wan's POV, he starts by opening his eyes to see Anakin's butt - or he assumes it's Anakin's butt, since he hasn't seen it from this angle (upside down) and so close before. It's not just a sentence or two, either. This goes on for about a page. Really, Master?

Anakin outright states in the narration that he loves Obi-Wan. Later Padmé asks Obi-Wan, "You love him too, don't you?", and Palpatine, after revealing himself as Sidious, tells Anakin that his choice - kill him or join him - comes down to who he loves more - Obi-Wan or Padmé. Stover's not shy of using that word.

The climactic battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan has the narration lamenting that the two are closer than brothers, closer than lovers, two halves of the same warrior. Obi-Wan has to let go of his love for Anakin to beat him.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:

Ugh, I feel so out of the loop. Yet another reason why I need to read that book.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

That is so not how I remember it.
Quote:
On Grievous's flagship, the part where Obi-Wan wakes up while being carried by Anakin is from Obi-Wan's POV, he starts by opening his eyes to see Anakin's butt - or he assumes it's Anakin's butt, since he hasn't seen it from this angle (upside down) and so close before. It's not just a sentence or two, either. This goes on for about a page. Really, Master?
You are fixated on that scene.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Master Fan

I haven't read the book, but that scene sounds like it was supposed to be a joke.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was supposed to be comic relief for a very intense scene.
And for some reason Jon is obsessed with it, always bringing it up.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, he is.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
It was supposed to be comic relief for a very intense scene.
Okay, that's the impression I got from your description.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

We need to talk about something other than Anakin's arse.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

So, who would you recast?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Master Fan

I don't think I'd recast anyone. Maybe Jake Lloyd, but I'm biased in that regard so I don't know for sure. I think I'd change the direction and the script somewhat, and see how things went from there.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'd have recast Hayden and Jake and the Lucasfilm employee who played Aayla and got better people to play the jedi in the arena battle. I'd also have recast the prequel Mon Mothma and maybe Bail Organa. Also the Fetts.

I'd also have fired the prequel director and writer and banned him from any further involvement with Star Wars.