Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I've never seen Yu-Gi-Oh!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I used to be a hardcore fan, I still have my dueling deck and everything.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I thought of watching it at some point but I just never did

Quote:
‘Star Wars’ writer Lawrence Kasdan wants spinoff film to ‘start fresh’

Fans were relieved this week to learn that Lawrence Kasdan would be writing another “Star Wars” movie. After all, it was Kasdan who penned “The Empire Strikes Back,” the film that is almost universally regarded as the best in the series. It was partly for the fans, Kasdan said, that he decided to return to “Star Wars” — just not the fans you’d expect.

“[My] kids are looking forward to it,” Kasdan said. “It’s a movie that my grandson, who’s not even 3, is already excited about. There are not many movies like that.”

Indeed, and Kasdan wrote three of them. After 1980′s “Empire,” George Lucas recruited Kasdan to pen the “Return of the Jedi” — the final installment in the trilogy — as well as “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” the film that began the “Indiana Jones” franchise. What followed for Kasdan was a prolific writing and directing career, which boasts such cinematic landmarks as “Body Heat,” “The Big Chill” and “The Accidental Tourist.”

But it is his contribution 30 years ago and his upcoming return to the “Star Wars” universe that has made him the subject of intense focus in the world of fandom; Kasdan and “X-Men: Days of Future Past” scribe Simon Kinberg will each write a stand-alone “Star Wars” spinoff movie for Lucasfilm and its new corporate parent Disney, it was confirmed Tuesday. The spinoffs will follow the J.J. Abrams-directed “Episode VII,” the first in a planned “Star Wars” sequel trilogy.

Kasdan reflected on his career and said he was “excited” about writing another “Star Wars” film in a sit-down interview before his induction into Final Draft’s screenwriting hall of fame Thursday evening at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills.

“Hollywood’s become such a difficult place to do certain kinds of stories, and a lot of them are the kind of stories that I did all the time,” Kasdan said. “To do a big movie that Hollywood does now, that you think can be better than most of them … that’s a rare opportunity.”

Kasdan would not confirm reports that the spinoff films would center on iconic characters Han Solo, Boba Fett or Yoda, but said he wasn’t focusing on his previous scripts or on the extended “Star Wars” universe in his approach to writing the new film.

“I’m trying to start fresh,” he said. “There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they’ve been missing, and we’re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it’s all new.”

Kasdan said he was looking forward to working with “terrific writers” Kinberg and “Episode 7″ screenwriter Michael Arndt. Asked if it would be strange to work on “Star Wars” without George Lucas at the helm, Kasdan was quick to point out that it was Lucas who recruited him to the project last fall.

“George sort of brought me into this part of it, and he’s stepping back from the company,” he said. “He’s sort of given his blessing to everybody, and he’ll be there if you need him. I think everyone’s interested to see where this can go. It’s been some very different places over 30 years …. I think with J.J., we’ll get something entirely new.”

It’s well-trodden territory. Since the original trilogy three decades ago, “Star Wars” has expanded to include novels, comics, video games, the critically praised animated TV series “The Clone Wars,” and the oft-maligned prequel trilogy, beginning with 1999′s “The Phantom Menace.” But the first three films stand apart, Kasdan said.

“The ones I worked on were a long time ago, and they had a slightly different feeling than the ones that followed,” he said. “The first three, ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Empire’ and ‘Return of the Jedi’ are all sort of more about people than the ones that followed. ‘Empire’ appeals to people, I think, because it’s the second act of a three-act play, and everything sort of goes to hell during the movie. And when you leave, everyone is in trouble, and that is the best part of the story to write. And people responded to it. Irvin Kershner was a completely different kind of director than George, so the movie’s much darker than the first ‘Star Wars.’ It’s more edgy.”

Despite its popularity and acclaim, “Empire” is not his favorite installment in the series.

“I must say, I think that the great, great film is the first ‘Star Wars,’ ” he said. “I do. It’s hilarious, and it changed movies forever.”

It also had a profound effect on pop culture, inspiring a deeply devoted fan base that has only grown with the advent of the Internet. But Kasdan says that the exposure and scrutiny haven’t changed his process.

“Nothing changes, really,” he said. “I don’t read that much of it. But when it was announced that I was doing it, it was a really nice response on the Internet. People have a lot invested in ‘Star Wars,’ and I think some of them were happy that I was back.”
‘Star Wars’ writer Lawrence Kasdan wants spinoff film to ‘start fresh’ | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – Los Angeles Times
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

You should watch Yu-Gi-oh and GX

don't bother with the rest.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject87 (View Post)
I think Sabertooth was miscast in X-men, but they got it right in Origins. The only thing I didn't like in origins was what they did to Deadpool.
Liev Schreiber doesn't have a fraction of the physicality or menace required for Sabertooth, let alone the size (Sabertooth is 6 foot six). Sabertooth has to be bigger than Wolverine. The main thing wrong with the X-Men Sabertooth was that he was written as a big dumb monster.

Quote:
Mark Ruffalo was a horrible Banner imo, Ed Norton was a more believable science geek.
I don't see it that way.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I think he did fine but like you said, to each his own.

And I liked both Ghost Rider movies, simply because Ghost Rider is cool.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nic Cage is good fun and the first Ghost Rider movie was fun, but the second one was rather lame. Still, it had Idris Elba and he's always good.

Last edited by sum1; 02-10-2013 at 08:23 PM
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

The second one's plot was lame.

But I enjoyed the Ghost Rider scenes.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I didn't see the second one but I really liked the first one
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

If you like Nic Cage, watch Drive Angry. It's a not a very high class film, but it's great fun and it's got Amber Heard, who great in it.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I wanna see that actually.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, it's good. Cage is great in it and William Fichtner is in it and he's always great.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So, no new news lately
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

This is a news thread?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Sometimes