Fan Forum Star

Sorry for the cheesy title.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Not crazy about the title.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

sum1:
Re: FF fans as dorks, it's a matter of motes and beams. LOL How much does Wizards charge you for the newest D&D supplement again?

Granted, Wizards has this history of gouging players. They really do.

Now, with Squaresoft, we get another problem: Stupidity of not exporting stuff. This means that you can't play the "international" version of a game unless you live in Japan! You keep using that word, Squaresoft. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT Steph.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenji (View Post)
sum1:
Re: FF fans as dorks, it's a matter of motes and beams. LOL How much does Wizards charge you for the newest D&D supplement again?

Granted, Wizards has this history of gouging players. They really do.
Wizards doesn't charge me. I don't buy new D&D supplements. New D&D is crap. I only pay attention to the old stuff and when I still buy stuff I usually get it on discount. Unless it's some ancient collectible, in which case I usually still manage to find good deals.

D&D has the advantage of not being some dumb video game with silly graphics. Playing video games is a sign of lameness.

Quote:
TFTNT Steph.
TFTNT stands for To F The Nocturnal Trollop
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Master Fan

Teehee trollop's a fun word. It's one of those insults that's not insulting because it's sooooo funny. Like strumpet.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not to mention there's a classic 19thc English novelist called Anthony Trollope.

There's a an Irish novel called Strumpet City.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenji (View Post)
Now, with Squaresoft, we get another problem: Stupidity of not exporting stuff. This means that you can't play the "international" version of a game unless you live in Japan! You keep using that word, Squaresoft. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I thought the international version of FFVII was just the North American version, except with Japanese text? I haven't actually played the international version, but the Japanese version and the North American version seem to be exactly the same except for Ruby and Emerald WEAPON. Those bosses are in the international version... is there any other difference? Never seemed like I was missing out on it by not playing it... you're probably not missing out on anything if you just play the US release, it's not even like any of the confusing plot comes from an especially bad translation.... yeah, there are stupid grammar mistakes like "That guy are crazy!" but the Japanese version makes NO more sense than the US version does plot-wise.

The main stupidity of Squaresoft is the main stupidity of just about every Japanese company or person who makes it big worldwide... total disregard for their ORIGINAL core fans who liked their product before it was cool to like it. Nintendo finally realised that a lot of people didn't LIKE funky 3D camera angles and games that required too much dexterity in too many different fingers simultaneously for any casual gamer, and started putting out some sidescrolling platformers for the Wii.... when is Square going to put out an actual turn-based RPG again? (Probably never.... that's why they suck in my book, take all that time they spend making international versions to resell the same game to people who already bought it, and make something that plays like FF6, with a new plot and characters. Designed by Amano. Then, and only then, will I buy a square title again)
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't play vid games, but I did play computer games up through 1994 and the turn based thing was an issue for me. I loved these D&D RPGs with turn-based strategic combat (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Champions of Krynn, etc). And then suddenly they brought in a D&D RPG that was real time (Eye of the Beholder) and soon real time was all there was. I heard it was even worse after I stopped playing. Dumbing down.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldreaming (View Post)
I thought the international version of FFVII was just the North American version, except with Japanese text? I haven't actually played the international version, but the Japanese version and the North American version seem to be exactly the same except for Ruby and Emerald WEAPON. Those bosses are in the international version... is there any other difference? Never seemed like I was missing out on it by not playing it... you're probably not missing out on anything if you just play the US release, it's not even like any of the confusing plot comes from an especially bad translation.... yeah, there are stupid grammar mistakes like "That guy are crazy!" but the Japanese version makes NO more sense than the US version does plot-wise.

The main stupidity of Squaresoft is the main stupidity of just about every Japanese company or person who makes it big worldwide... total disregard for their ORIGINAL core fans who liked their product before it was cool to like it. Nintendo finally realised that a lot of people didn't LIKE funky 3D camera angles and games that required too much dexterity in too many different fingers simultaneously for any casual gamer, and started putting out some sidescrolling platformers for the Wii.... when is Square going to put out an actual turn-based RPG again? (Probably never.... that's why they suck in my book, take all that time they spend making international versions to resell the same game to people who already bought it, and make something that plays like FF6, with a new plot and characters. Designed by Amano. Then, and only then, will I buy a square title again)
Actually, I was thinking of
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldreaming (View Post)

Actually, I was thinking of X and XII. Both were "international" versions released only in Japan.

And yes, everyone does disregard their original fanbase. It would be interesting to see the Ruined FOREVER meme all over Wikia.

Wizards does gouge people, though. They invented trading card games, after all. Possibly the single biggest waste of money on the planet.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wizards are not the original company of D&D. It was TSR up until 97.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
when is Square going to put out an actual turn-based RPG again? (Probably never.... that's why they suck in my book, take all that time they spend making international versions to resell the same game to people who already bought it, and make something that plays like FF6, with a new plot and characters. Designed by Amano. Then, and only then, will I buy a square title again)
I think FFX is the last turn-based game they produced, even though FFXII is categorized as turn-based (it isn't). FFX was also their last great game. I'm too young to remember the pre-FF7 days and even I'm mourning the loss of turn-based fighting. It's so much more challenging.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's painful how people always go for the dumbest thing. Look at the success of Avatar.