Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
I don't understand your problem, a lot of British actors play Americans.
That's my problem, because a lot of them don't get it right.

Some of them do it well. Many don't. For example, Benedict Cumberbatch and Damian Lewis both couldn't convince as Americans if their lives depended on it. Daniel Day Lewis played Abraham Lincoln as a posh Englishman.

Last edited by sum1; 02-07-2017 at 06:17 PM
Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Same goes for Americans playing somebody from the UK or Australia. What does that have to do with John though? His American accent is great.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Didn't I say above that there's a lot more to playing a nationality than accent? It's not about accent. It's about manner, facial expressions, the way the actor holds themselves. John might do quite well, but I don't know yet, because I haven't seen him play a real American.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

You can just say that you don't want anybody who is not American to play Americans. And I don't know what manners or facial expressions you are talking about considering there are over 300 milion people living in the US. Real American, what does that even mean.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
You can just say that you don't want anybody who is not American to play Americans. And I don't know what manners or facial expressions you are talking about considering there are over 300 milion people living in the US.
Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, Middle Eastern, etc -if they're born and brought up in America they're going to have certain things in common.

Quote:
Real American, what does that even mean.
Somebody who's not a Star Wars character.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think a Native American wouldn't agree with you on having something in common with a white person besides living on the same soil.

He plays a real American then in Imperial Dreams. He is also going to play an American in the upcoming movie about the Detroit riots and one in The Circle.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I think a Native American wouldn't agree with you on having something in common with a white person besides living on the same soil.
Well we'd just have to agree to disagree. I'm sure certain types of American whites would not like to be told they have anything in common with African-Americans, but they would be wrong and people should focus on what the different groups in America have in common, what brings them together.

Last edited by sum1; 02-08-2017 at 08:10 AM
Old 02-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I see nothing wrong with someone playing a different race/ethnicity if they do it well. I mean, when's the last time we had an actual Russian playing a Russian character for example?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I'm sure certain types of American whites would not like to be told they have anything in common with African-Americans
That's completely different because white Americans weren't oppressed by African Americans or Native Americans. But you probably don't agree with this either, so lets move on to talking about Finn/John.

I saw somebody mention on tumblr that they think Senator Pamlo might be Finn's mother. What do you think?

Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
That's completely different because white Americans weren't oppressed by African Americans or Native Americans. But you probably don't agree with this either, so lets move on to talking about Finn/John.
Ah, you seem to hold to the view that racial prejudice is ok as long as it's directed at white people. Racial prejudice is wrong no matter who it's directed at and no matter who it comes from. And bringing different races together is good no matter what the race of whoever opposes it. It seems you want to treat different races differently. I don't. I want to treat them all the same. It's called equality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbis diablo (View Post)
I see nothing wrong with someone playing a different race/ethnicity if they do it well. I mean, when's the last time we had an actual Russian playing a Russian character for example?
I wish they'd get Russians to play Russians.
Quote:
I saw somebody mention on tumblr that they think Senator Pamlo might be Finn's mother. What do you think?
I think that idea is mildly racist the way suggesting he's Lando's son is. All the black characters in Star Wars don't have to be related. Surely there's more than one black family in all of the Star Wars galaxy.

Last edited by sum1; 02-08-2017 at 06:59 PM
Old 02-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Reverse racism doesn't exist.

Quote:
All the black characters in Star Wars don't have to be related. Surely there's more than one black family in all of the Star Wars galaxy.
You should tell that to the writers who decide to give black characters speaking roles once in a blue moon.

Your posts are just mind blowing.

Last edited by Karma Police; 02-09-2017 at 01:18 AM
Old 02-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Reverse racism doesn't exist.
It's not "reverse racism". It's racism. And of course it exists. Next you're going to tell me the sky doesn't exist.

Quote:
You should tell that to the writers who decide to give black characters speaking roles once in a blue moon.
I'll tell it to the fans who come out with theories that just encourage the problem by promoting the attitude that being black should be rare in the Star Wars galaxy.

Quote:
Your posts are just mind blowing.
My posts? Your posts are mind blowing. I find them massively offensive.

Last edited by sum1; 02-09-2017 at 10:07 AM
Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

There are plenty of articles written on why racism against whit people doesn't exist. Prejudice, xenophobia, etc. yes, racism no.

So now it's the fans fault that writers/prodcuers barely ever give black characters any purpose? Duly noted.

I find it highly offensive that you imply that prejudice against white people is somehow on the same level as actual racism. But sure, I'm offensive.

Back to John/Finn:

Going to watch Imperial Dreams tonight, heard great things about it.

Quote:
I watched Finn and Poe’s escape from the star destroyer’s hangar frame-by-frame, and I am now convinced of two things: a) Finn did everything he could to minimize the damage to the Stormtroopers, and b) it is thanks to his tactical judgment, as well as Poe’s skill, that they were able to make it out alive.

One of the charges most frequently brought against Finn’s character is that he shot at his comrades and friends during his escape with Poe from the First Order and showed no regret for it. This is, of course, just a terrible argument on its face because there is no way that Finn was in the wrong to escape the people who had stolen him from his family and raised him to be a slave soldier, including if necessary by using force against those who stood in his way. I have also disputed the argument that he was unconflicted about his actions.

Just to be sure, though, I went back to watch his escape with Poe and what I discovered surprised me. See, even though Finn was entirely justified in using violence where necessary to escape, he actually used the minimum possible force against the Stormtroopers necessary to escape, arguably far less than he was justified in using. He avoided shooting Stormtroopers directly, and directed his most destructive fire toward the hangar bay’s command center where the operators and officer were on duty.

What’s more, he showed incredible tactical skill in the process. His snap judgments under extreme stress were spot on and impressive, and I really wish this scene had been played up more to show just how brilliant Finn is. As it is, crucial moments establishing his humanity and skill zoomed by in blink-and-you-miss it action without later reinforcement, missing an opportunity to show important information about the character.
http://lj-writes.tumblr.com/post/156...-brilliance-an

Last edited by Karma Police; 02-09-2017 at 10:53 AM
Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
There are plenty of articles written on why racism against whit people doesn't exist. Prejudice, xenophobia, etc. yes, racism no.
Articles written to try to give racism against white people a free pass. The articles themselves are examples of such racism.

Quote:
So now it's the fans fault that writers/prodcuers barely ever give black characters any purpose? Duly noted.
The fans do shoulder some of the responsibiity. After all, they bombard the filmmakers/Lucasfilm with feedback constantly.

Quote:
I find it highly offensive that you imply that prejudice against white people is somehow on the same level as actual racism. But sure, I'm offensive.
Any prejudice based on race is a serious matter, no matter what race it is directed against. That is self-evident.

Quote:
Back to John/Finn:
I hope they do something good with his character next film. He's the best of the new characters.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm gonna ignore everything on this thread that doesn't relate to Finn

As far as his mother, I just don't think we'll actually meet any of his family in the movies. Stormtroopers seem to be dropped off to train by families who don't really care much.