Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 AM
New Fan

Clone Wars vs Clone Wars

There are two distinct Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon series. The original began in 2003, and ran to 2005 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361243/). The currently running one began in 2008, and runs to present (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458290/)

Both series take place between episodes 2 and 3. In the older series Anakin had no apprentice, and the final episode ended where Star Wars Revenge of the Sith began. So the two series would seem to conflict.

Are both presented as alternate realities, or are we supposed to pretend the series from 2003 - 2005 never happened?

Last edited by aparker; 10-09-2011 at 08:25 AM
Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Lucas considers the recent show canonical and ignores the earlier show. He doesn't consider anything except the films (the 6 main films and Clone Wars film) and the recent Clone Wars show to be canonical. If the live action show had happened that would have been considered canonical by him too. His employees have built up a canon that includes the expanded universe, but Lucas himself ignores that. He's said that the expanded universe and his projects are two separate universe like Star Trek's expanded universe and its main works.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Lucas considers the recent show canonical and ignores the earlier show. He doesn't consider anything except the films (the 6 main films and Clone Wars film) and the recent Clone Wars show to be canonical. If the live action show had happened that would have been considered canonical by him too. His employees have built up a canon that includes the expanded universe, but Lucas himself ignores that. He's said that the expanded universe and his projects are two separate universe like Star Trek's expanded universe and its main works.
Have you an official source to quote on this? Its basically as I suspected, but I've never seen anything straight from George about it (other than his blatant to previously written works).
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

George has made various comments in various interviews over the years.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
George has made various comments in various interviews over the years.
Perhaps, the many I've heard all sound like he's interested in changing things so he can justify a new release.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

You can find some of his comments (last I looked) in the Wookieepedia article on canon. Most of that article is about the Lucasfilm pro-EU canon, which Lucas ignores, but there are a bunch of quotes from him. In one quote it's worth noting that when he refers to the tv shows he's talking (as he indicates) only about the ones he's particularly involved with and considers his pet projects, which are the recent Clone Wars show and the on-hold live-action show. He's not talking about Ewoks, Droids or the eearlier Clone Wars show, the others star wars shows over the years.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

aparker and welcome to the Star Wars Board.

This is a great topic and thank you for starting this discussion. We already have a thread for the TV series, http://www.fanforum.com/f99/star-war...tter-63020867/ and I'll be moving this conversation there and closing this thread.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread