Fan Forum Star

How could anybody forget?
I am an original”
msstock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

True! Though it's scary to think how Disney could lose the rights to Mickey Mouse soon

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/08/d...key-mouse-ad1/

I mean, sure, yes Disney is a huge conglomerate now and controls WAY too much, but losing Mickey?! That's unthinkable. It all started with Walt, it all started with Mickey. Losing that, Disney will be lost forever.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

That is scary to think about.
I am an original”
msstock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Reading more about it, I understand now that they don't lose Mickey outright, just the exclusivity rights. They can still have Mickey, but the character will enter into public domain, which means anyone can use the character for pretty much anything they like. It could get confusing and quite honestly I think it is a dumb copyright rule.

The worst though, is when I read that Winnie the Pooh went into public domain last year. No sooner did that happen then a slasher horror movie called Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey was made. It's so wrong.

Quote:
Winnie-The-Pooh lapsing into the public domain in 2022 is the result of US copyright law.

As per the law, the works of corporate entities or pseudonymous authorship become available in the public domain after 95 years from first publication or 120 years after creation, whichever ends first.

The first-ever collection of stories about Pooh was released in the 1926 book Winnie-the-Pooh by AA Milne. The author had also put a poem about the anthropomorphic bear in the 1924 children’s verse book When We Were Very Young.

Both these works are over 95 years old, and as per the copyright law, they are now in the public domain.

By definition, Public Domain means something that belongs or is available to the public as a whole and is not subject to copyright.

AA Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh book is now free of copyright. Hence, the public is free to use, copy, publish, distribute, and create new works based on the character.

Ever since Winnie-The-Pooh became available in the public domain in 2022, it has already been adapted in other works, with the horror film being the third example of that.

The character was previously featured in Ryan Reynolds’ new Mint Mobile commercial and is also in Luke McGarry’s comic.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/2...public-domain/

If Disney hadn't bought the rights to Winnie the Pooh, it's hard to tell where it would have ended up, but I would have hoped that it stayed where it belonged, back here in the UK as a British ownership. But because Disney did buy the rights, Winnie the Pooh fell into the stupid US copyright law which means that after 90+ years has passed since it's original creation, now anyone and anything can use Pooh and the characters into anything they like.

I would just hate that if I created something, from out of my own imagination and hard work, and that after so many years (even if it's after I'm gone) anyone could use my work and turn it into anything they like without worry about copyright...I dunno it would just be sad. I would try to make sure my work would stay within my family. I know that can't always happen and 90 years is a long time and sure, nothing can stay forever, it's just....sad?

Making Winnie the Pooh into a horror movie, losing the innocence of such iconic CHILDHOOD characters by making it into an adult film. I dread to think what people will do with the innocence of Mickey.
Reply   Post New Thread