Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

Melanie Carmichael/Smooter (SHA) #2:Because she can't make a wrong choice either way.

Welcome to the second Melanie Carmichael/Smooter (Sweet Home Alabama) Appreciation Thread!

Title: Sweet Home Alabama
Release Date: September 27, 2002
Director: Andy Tennant
Screenwriter:Douglas J. Eboch, C. Jay Cox
Co-starring: Josh Lucas, Patrick Dempsey, Candice Bergen
Genre: Comedy, Romance

After leaving Alabama to pursue a career in fashion in New York City, Melanie’s past suddenly comes back to haunt her when her finance in New York proposes to her unaware Melanie is already married to her redneck high school sweetheart back in Alabama. Sneaking back to Alabama to finalise the divorce once and for all, Melanie is reminded of the past and the people she left behind and left with the decision of a lifetime.

Nobody finds their soul mate when they're ten. I mean, where's the fun in that, right?

I was so ashamed... because I felt...relieved. All of a sudden I just needed a different life.

Previous Thread

Last edited by keep the starlight; 12-08-2006 at 10:16 PM
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Absolute Fan

Thanks for the wonderful new thread, Caitlin!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Loyal Fan

We got a new Melanie thread, I didn't know there were that many posts on the last one!

I didn't know Charlize was going to play this role. I really like her but can you imagine her playing this role? I'm so glad Reese got it. I don't think it'd be one of my favorite movies if she wasn't the lead.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Absolute Fan

I totally agree. I think the role required a genuine Southern touch. Who better to bring that than Reese? I cannot, for the life of me, imagine anyone else in this role besides her.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

Caitlin, thanks for starting the new thread! Jorunn- wonderful, 100% true title!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Elite Fan

Caitlin - no, I don't mind you using the title I suggested Just happy to contribute! Funny quotes, btw And I absolutely the first picture of the three of them together. Talk about McDreamy, McCutie & McBlueEyes

Emilie - thanks I tried

Charlize as Melanie??? Don't get me wrong, I like Charlize and I think she's very talented (Monster, anyone?), but as Melanie??? I'm actually glad it was an actor's strike back then, because I couldn't have imagined anyone in that role other than Reese either... Comparing Reese & Charlize, I just think Reese has a softer edge and is a lot more expressive in her acting, if that makes any sense.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Fan

No problem guys

Jorunn, I couldn't agree more. And I completely understand what you mean by more expressive in her acting. I could never see Charlize in this role. Like Holly said, the movie definitely needed a Southern touch.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Loyal Fan

I totally agree with you guys. Her expressions, the way in which she acts, her ideas she brings it's so different from Charlizes. And I don't know if I would have liked Josh as much as I do if it wasn't for Reese either.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

SOME MORE SET PICS..
Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Loyal Fan

I liked her in that scene. I was happy when she finally seen what he had made of himself.
Did you guys know that that store actually exists? You can order catalogs and glass peices like the one seen in the movie. I looked it up a long time ago.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Scott (View Post)
I liked her in that scene. I was happy when she finally seen what he had made of himself.
Did you guys know that that store actually exists? You can order catalogs and glass peices like the one seen in the movie. I looked it up a long time ago.
I think Andy Tennant spoke about it in his commentary on the dvd. It was based on a real store... and I guess those scenes were filmed outside the real store or something.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the set pics, Jaime!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanB (View Post)
I think Andy Tennant spoke about it in his commentary on the dvd. It was based on a real store... and I guess those scenes were filmed outside the real store or something.
Ohhhh, I've never seen the commentary. How bad of a fan am I?? I've seen the movie a 100 times and watched the deleted scenes and whatnot but never the commentary. When the movie came out I was living in a little town in Mississippi and they didn't have wal-mart or anything like that is all they had was a little movie store and I bought the movie from them on VHS. So I never really thought to buy the dvd too but now I have a perfect reason too!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

Aww no you are totally not a bad fan! Commentaries take time to watch, though I do love them. I especially like the ones with the cast, for obvious reasons.

In the first post, the pic with Josh and Reese... *giggle* too cute!!
Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 AM
Elite Fan

I agree with Emilie. KC - you are not a bad fan. Not everyone, or should I say, hardly anyone, have as much time on their hands as me...