Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Annie (Penelope) #2: After two long years, the time has finally come. Go see it!

Welcome to the 2nd Annie (Penelope) Appreciation Thread!

The tale of a young woman overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds to win her Prince Charming has long been a staple of fairy tales but in Penelope, writer Leslie Caveny has given her story a contemporary twist. What if, for instance, the rich and handsome Prince Charming actually turned out to be a total cad, and true love for the heroine rested in the hands of an initially duplicitous card shark? And what if, more importantly, the story was less about a young woman finding true love and more about her learning to love and value h e r s e l f ?
Cast // Crew

W r i t e r: Leslie Caveny
D i r e c t o r: Mark Palansky
P r o d u c e r s : Reese Witherspoon; Jennifer Simpson; Scott Steindorff

"She's literally trapped in a house, and we, in life, are crippled by our insecurities." - - Christina R i c c i

"It's a fantastic film, especially in this climate where we seem to be celebrity-obsessed and where we chew people up.
It's a really nice comment on the media for a mainstream audience." - - J a m e s McAvoy

"There's a great girl at the center of the story who's sassy and funny and smart and opinionated, yet she has obstacles to overcome." - - Reese W i t h e r s p o o n

Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread, Linds. The title is so true and I love the opening
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Elite Fan

Linds, thanks for starting this! The opening is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Elite Fan

Aww, Linds, I adore the new and improved opening! Thanks for the beautiful thread start!

The weekend box office results says that Penelope earned $4m for the weekend and imo, that's a great start considering it only released in 1,196 theaters.
-Safe
Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad you guys like it! And ITA about the box office results. Definitely.

Bringing this over from the News Thread:

Quote:
Summit Entertainment's romantic fable "Penelope" also skewed female, opening to about $4 million and ranking No. 8 or 9 depending on the final results. Studios issue weekend estimates early every Sunday that include projections for that day, but final results come out Mondays.

The PG-rated movie, starring Christina Ricci, James McAvoy, Reese Witherspoon and Catherine O'Hara, was produced for less than $15 million by Stone Village Pictures and Witherspoon's Type A Films. Summit is spending a modest $10 million to market "Penelope" domestically.

Business climbed by an encouraging 57% from Friday to Saturday, and audience members surveyed by CinemaScore gave it an "A-minus" grade, said Richard Fay, president of domestic distribution at upstart studio Summit.
Source

Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for bringing that over, Linds.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Np, Em.

Oh! I forgot to mention that at one point Reese/Annie is in a bee costume for a Halloween party and looked so.freaking.cute. Camryn was like, hahaha, she's a bumble beeee. LOL.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Elite Fan

LOL! That's so adorable.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Linds+ (View Post)
Np, Em.

Oh! I forgot to mention that at one point Reese/Annie is in a bee costume for a Halloween party and looked so.freaking.cute. Camryn was like, hahaha, she's a bumble beeee. LOL.
That does sound adorable
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Linds+ (View Post)
Np, Em.

That was a really sweet scene I agree.I'm still stuck on how James looked when he was standing in the elevator.That was so cool.

It's taking my breath away what an amazing movie Reese has created.You really should all go see it!
Rule #1
If you get someone shot,
you apologize
Old 03-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Elite Fan

I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yay, someone else that's seen it! LOL. I'm so glad you liked it. I just adored it to absolute pieces. James, Christina, Reese... the whole cast was amazing.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Elite Fan

I really wanna see this. Although I might have to wait until it comes on dvd. We no longer have a movie theater at home and I doubt it'll come to my study town before I move back home, so...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, sadly, I'm going to have to wait for the dvd, unless I can convince my sister to go with me while on break next week.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Passionate Fan

Hi guys!

I'm Joanna or better known in fanform, Rona Jo.

I was asked by Chelbh to come over here and talk about Penelope. Are those of you that haven't seen it yet, or still not sure about it, that it's a great movie.

The storyline is great and actors are just amazing.

Reese's character, Annie is fun and when she found out who Penelope was she didn't run away. She's a really true friend. Christina Ricci and James McAvoy were great too.

Penelope sends a message to people that you don't have to be beautiful to be...beautiful. My advise, see this movie.