Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

Guys and Dolls

Ewan just had a meet and greet with the media for his upcoming stage musical Guys and Dolls. Here's an article about it and there's a link for pictures on the bottom:

McGregor prepares for stage role

Wednesday April 13, 01:49 PM

Hollywood star Ewan McGregor is preparing his voice for his new role in the musical theatre production of Guys And Dolls.

The star of films such as Star Wars, Moulin Rouge and Trainspotting plays the lead role of Sky Masterson in the forthcoming West End production.

McGregor, 34, said he had been taking singing lessons for his part in the revival of the 1950s show.

The Scottish actor will be making his West End musical debut as the chronic gambler who falls in love with a missionary.

McGregor danced and sang in Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman, but this will be his first stage singing role.

The actor's last stage appearance was in 1999, when he starred at the Comedy Theatre in Little Malcolm and his struggle against the Eunuchs.

Although initially worried about the singing aspect of the role, it was the physical aspect which left him slightly nervous on his first day.

McGregor said: "It's quite full-on.

"But maybe it was the element of the musical that I considered the least beforehand.

"I was worried about singing and going back on stage and then suddenly I saw the choreography!"

McGregor said he loved returning to the theatre. He said he was excited about returning to the theatre.

"I love it. We've rehearsed for two weeks and I feel full up on it. I think it's really important to work on stuff like this," he said.

"These two weeks have been more fulfilling than any of my movies which can be very draining. I needed my fix."

McGregor stars with Alfie actress Jane Krakowski as Miss Adelaide, Douglas Hodge as Nathan Detroit and Jenna Russell as Sarah Brown.

The show opens at the Piccadilly Theatre on June 1.

The site includes a video interview of Ewan. Click on the link below to see it!

Source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050413/356/fg8qu.html
and Ewan news website.

Here's a link to pictures: http://www.livejournal.com/community...19.html#cutid1
-it's at a livejournal Ewan community post by Letters4PattyD - please don't direct link as she asks.

Last edited by VerbalKint; 04-30-2005 at 09:29 AM
Old 04-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Absolute Fan

Ah, I love it. I really love what he says about how theatre gets your adrenalin pumping. So true.

I directed a play earlier this year and my actors were all inexperienced. They'd certainly not had speaking roles before. Before the first performance, this one girl was really nervous. I was like, "It's ok. It's ok, everyone gets nervous. It's adrenalin." And she's like, "No, but I think I have to pee now too!" And I was just like, "Well, channel all that nervous, pee energy into your performance. Trust me, it'll make it even better." ...wow. She was so incredibly energetic and hillarious, improvising little bits and all, just feeling the show. Better than any rehearsals. But I think I was more stoked than any of the actors about the whole thing

And about it consuming your life... you really can't know until you've done one. I didn't realise before my first one what it would be like. But musicals especially are so dynamic. You have different kinds of rehearsals all the time, things to think about, things to learn. And I get really involved in the stories as well. My grades always drop during the muscial season I just can't concentrate on other things. I don't even mind rehearsals that last until 9.

Rach
Old 04-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Master Fan

Oh, I know what you mean. Before every show I've done, there's always this nervous energy that courses through everyone's veins. What marks a great show is when nobody notices how quickly the scenes (or the whole musical, for that matter) have passed by.

And, boy oh boy, do they consume your life. My grades suffered (and I almost didn't graduate) the year I joined.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

stage is the scariest thing ever. everyone looking at you waiting for you to screw up. but ewan never screws up.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Master Fan

Oddly enough, though, with my inferiority complex and stuff, theater is no problem for me.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Absolute Fan

I am not a big-time actor, wanting to be in the spotlight or anything, but I have never found being on stage to be scary. I knew that I knew what I was doing and was just so pumped to go out there and put everything I had into it. Actually, some rather shy people blossom on stage.

Rach
Old 04-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Master Fan

Agreed on the last sentence, Rach. And some self-confident people freeze onstage, so it's a different creature altogether.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ewan McGregor Quits Drinking and Talking To Save Voice
Ewan McGregor's social life is in tatters in the run-up to his forthcoming West End debut.
The Hollywood star says he has given up drinking and even refuses to speak to friends in a bid to make his voice last the full six months as lead role Sky Masterson in London musical 'Guys and Dolls'.
He revealed: "I am taking every step possible to make sure my voice doesn't give out on me before the end of my sixth month spell.
"I am not going out anywhere noisy or smoky, which has ruined my social life, and I've become accustomed to not speaking or using my voice whenever I am not in rehearsal."The heartthrob star also admitted he forgot the role required him to dance - and was horrified when he saw the choreography on his first day of rehearsals.
He said: "I was already worried about the singing but then I saw the choreography and thought, 'Oh ****'. It's full-on! I hadn't really considered that side of the musical beforehand."

Sasha
Old 04-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Master Fan

Hehehe. I know what he must feel like. When we did choreography for Bye Bye Birdie, my eyes bugged out for a bit.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Absolute Fan

Good thinking ahead, Ewan

Well, it's always good to be challenged, though. And with someone as talented as Ewan, it seems like not much acting could be a challenge! But I love that he always does something new.

Now... I'm trying to figure out how/when I could go to the stage door to try to get his autograph or something. I've not done that before... any ideas?

Rach
Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Absolute Fan

Well you could always stake out the place when you get there ... if you have time. Although you might have more luck after the show.

Sure wish I could go to London and see Ewan in G&D. If he hadn't nixed anything Star Wars, I'd take my copy of TPM with Obi-Wan on the cover. But, since he has, I'd take Long Way Round.
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Master Fan

If I could, I'd probably get him to sign my Moulin Rouge DVD or something.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Absolute Fan

Oh yeah, it would be really cool to get him to sign my LWR book. Hadn't thought of that!

I can't go beforehand anyway because I'll be down the street trying to find Kevin Spacey at another stage door

Rach
Old 04-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Master Fan

First preview is 19th May and it opens 1st June and its £55; Im tempted to go.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Celine Dion doesn't talk when she's on tour so Ewan's smart to follow the same idea.