Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ewan McGregor News #10: Everyday is a Ewan Day!

dumb title, right?

anyway it was mentioned on the last thread that Johnny Depp and Ewan will be on Leno the same day.

my response
Quote:
what? ewan and johnny. 2 big stars on one day. who gets more air time? what day is this?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Absolute Fan

Oh my ... Ewan and Johnny!!!!!
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

I believe they are both going to appear on the TODAY show, not the Tonight show with Leno. Now you can meet both of them!

Sasha
Old 07-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Loyal Fan

As I said, I'll be on hottie overload. Someone may need to send help.
"You stink like sex." -Dean Winchester
Old 07-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S.H.A.
I believe they are both going to appear on the TODAY show, not the Tonight show with Leno. Now you can meet both of them!

Sasha
Yeah, sorry it was the Today show (Monday, July 11)

ETA: Not really news but I found a Eye of the Beholder review and the writer had some nice things to say about Ewan.

Review

Laura|
Old 07-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Funny comments.

Sasha
Old 07-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This is very exciting news:

Quote:
Glenn Close and Ewan McGregor Reported to Star in Sunset Boulevard Film

July 9, 2005 - by BWW News Desk

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Glenn Close, and Ewan McGregor have agreed to star in the long-anticipated film version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Sunset Boulevard. For Close, it'll be a reprisal of her Tony-winning performance as Norma Desmond on Broadway and for McGregor, it'll follow-up his current stage appearance in the West End production of Guys and Dolls.

Speaking to the paper, Austin Shaw, who is co-producing the film confirms the casting, and that the production is slated for a Christmas 2006 release. He also comments on many of the recent casting rumors for the film, noting that Barbra Streisand was in the running, but "Glenn is the obvious choice" and Hugh Jackman was also considered, but Ewan McGregor deemed to be a greater box-office draw.

The show, based on the Billy Wilder film, the musical, with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, book and lyrics by Christopher Hampton and Don Black, had its world premiere at London's Adelphi Theatre on July 12, 1993. Silent movie star, Norma Desmond longs for a return to the big screen, having been discarded by tinsel town with the advent of "talkies" - her glamour faded in all but her mind. When she meets Joe Gillis, a struggling Hollywood screen- writer in dramatic circumstances their subsequently passionate and volatile relationship leads to an unforeseen and tragic conclusion.

Sunset Boulevard opened on Broadway at the Minskoff Theatre on November 17, 1994 with Close, Campbell and Hearn again recreating their roles from the Los Angeles production and Alice Ripley joining as Betty Schaefer. The Broadway production opened with the highest advance in Broadway history ($37.5 million in ticket sales).

Broadwayworld.com
Quote:

Close and McGregor to star in Sunset Boulevard film

Glenn Close and Ewan McGregor are to star in a £33 million film adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical Sunset Boulevard.

Close, 58, who won a Tony Award for her portrayal of Norma Desmond in the Broadway version of the show, has told Lloyd Webber that she will reprise the role for the big screen.

Glenn Close
Glenn Close will play Norma Desmond

Austin Shaw, who is co-producing the film, said: "Andrew would love Glenn to do the role and she has been approached. The pair spoke about it privately at this year's Golden Globes ceremony and she said she would be happy to take it on again. We are making the film with Paramount and it should be out in time for Christmas 2006."

The musical, which has lyrics by the Oscar-winners Don Black and Christopher Hampton, is based on Billy Wilder's 1950 film about the doomed romance between Norma Desmond, a fading star of the silent cinema, and Joe Gillis, an ambitious young writer. The film, which starred Gloria Swanson and William Holden, is regarded as one of cinema's finest moments.

Close was initially reluctant to transfer her performance on to the screen for fear of drawing comparisons with Swanson's acclaimed performance.

The five times Oscar nominee, whose credits include Fatal Attraction and Dangerous Liaisons, is now convinced, however, that she can bring something fresh to the role.

Her new-found love for the role is a blow for Barbra Streisand who had been keen to star in the film. Streisand, herself a double Oscar-winner, included two of the show's best-known songs With One Look and As If We Never Said Goodbye on a 1993 album.

Mr Shaw, who runs Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Film Group, said: "We were made aware by Streisand's friends that she was keen to take on the role but Glenn is the obvious choice."

Mr Shaw said that McGregor and Hugh Jackman were both in the running for the role of Gillis. Both are box office stars. Jackman, who won rave reviews in the National Theatre production of Oklahoma!, is regarded as the better singer. But McGregor, who is at present playing to packed houses in the West End revival of Guys and Dolls, is considered a bigger draw.

Close, who won a Golden Globe this year for her role as Eleanor of Aquitaine in an American television remake of The Lion In Winter, made the role of Norma her own when she opened the US stage production in 1994. The London production, which opened the previous year, had already begun to flag after a mixed response from critics and audiences.

Close's turn as the faded star took Broadway by storm and gave the show a new lease of life. It won seven Tonys, including awards for best musical and best actress.

Telegraph
Ewan and Glenn Close?

ETA: Ewan will be in the August issue of W magazine (Katie Holmes is on the cover)

Laura|
Old 07-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome!

Sasha
Old 07-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

yay another musical. I don't agree about Hugh Jackman being the better singer. I love Hugh, but I like Ewan's voice better. And Glenn Close is a good actress. When will Ewan film this? it seems like he's doing 20 million things.

I hope I see Johnny and Ewan. But I don't want to get my hopes up. God, what should I say to them tomorrow?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Word has it that Ewan's interview is via satellite or pre-recorded already.

Sasha
Old 07-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Absolute Fan

Another musical? and
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Master Fan

I think Hugh is a more polished singer. He's certainly had more (better?) training between the two.

I'm surprised they consider Ewan a bigger draw, but then again, neither actor has really proven himself as able to carry a film. *shrug*
Old 07-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse
yay another musical. I don't agree about Hugh Jackman being the better singer. I love Hugh, but I like Ewan's voice better. And Glenn Close is a good actress. When will Ewan film this? it seems like he's doing 20 million things.
It says in the article that it should come out Christmas 2006.

I think Hugh is a great actor (haven't heard him sing though) but of course I'm biased. I'm not familiar with Sunset Boulevard so I don't know what kind of music it has..

Another article says that he and Glenn will sing a duet:

Glen Close and Ewan McGregor to star in a $57 million Sunset Boulevard production

According to Ewan News:

Quote:
Ewan might be on MTV's TRL today (there are conflicting reports). It airs at 2pm Eastern time.

Laura|
Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Master Fan

It's typical Andrew Lloyd Webber, I think. So it's gonna be a lot like Evita and The Phantom of the Opera.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Loyal Fan

I taped The Today Show and they showed the Johnny Depp interview (it was pre-recorded) but there was no Ewan.
"You stink like sex." -Dean Winchester
Closed Thread   Post New Thread