Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Elite Fan

Book to Film Changes Discussion Please join me to continue discussing! I hope to see you there.

Anne: I never noticed her as Aragorn's girlfriend, and any references of her in the book as Aragorn's girlfriend were not made obvious or clear to me. Aragorn marrying Arwen, I think, is a bit of surprise. There is no build up to the wedding.

Ally: I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think that there are more Elrond/Arwen moments in the film than Aragorn/Arwen moments. I didn't feel like I was being hit over the head with Aragorn/Arwen.

Yeah, I love the HoH painting. I think the EE will fix any Aragorn or Eowyn or Faramir issues.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jayta:
<STRONG>
[img]smilies/look.gif[/img] Hey, anyone make me an avie of F/E at the coronation? With the white petals floating down?</STRONG>
Wow, that would make an awesome avie. Welcome back, jayta! [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img]

Blairy, I hope so too, but my hopes are kinda down.

"We shared a lot, and the truth is I miss him a lot." ♥ Viggo on Sean Bean
Old 01-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Maybe there were more Elrond/Arwen moments to show Arwen's dilemma with her family and people in loving Aragorn.

VOTE for KERRY
Old 01-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Elite Fan

Jayta: In regards to the "totally out of wack" Boromir/Faramir, it's about the movie changes made to Aragorn. movie!Aragorn has never really shown that he wanted to be king of Gondor. He even said that he didn't want it in FOTR. Even when he had to defend Gondor in ROTK, he did it for Arwen and not for Gondor itself. Because she's dying. I didn't seem like he had much wisdom either. He seemed too unsure. Personally, I think HoH will fix both issues. One, healing the people of Gondor will show that he does care for the people of Gondor. Second, being a healer will show that he is a king in wisdom and spirit. He seems more sure of himself as a king. That will be a better build up to the coronation. I felt a little cheated since several of his scenes were cut.

Jay: Yay, we agree on Arwen. Good point on the mediums being different.

There are several avs in the avatar thread! Faramir looks so cute there.

ETA: I started the thread so we can go back to discussing Farwyn here. So please join me in that thread.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited Blairy the Fairy ]
Old 01-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Extreme Fan

You know what I hate about no Farawyn? It's the little things, like trading cards, and a song, posters, and the toys and all that.

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruby Trample of Woody End:
<STRONG>You know what I hate about no Farawyn? It's the little things, like trading cards, and a song, posters, and the toys and all that.

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I agree cause there are never enough screencaps or anything of them from the movie either cause you see them together for like 2 seconds. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I don't know if anyone knows this or not but I was wondering if there were any plans for an EE soundtrack or something cause I really love some of the new songs from the Extended versions.
You are my signal fire.
The only resolution and the only joy,
Is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm not sure, Pav. I hope so. I want a F/E theme.

Does anyone know if David and Miranda ever worked together pre LOTR? I think I heard something about a radio play?

Old 01-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jayta:

Hey, anyone make me an avie of F/E at the coronation? With the white petals floating down?
I can try but I need the caps, does anyone has a site to get those?

I do feel Farawyn is better explained in the book than the Arwen/Aragorn story. I believe that is because Farawyn is part of the book itself and A/A is an appendix that had to be added to explain why Aragorn is marrying Arwen.

Anita
Old 01-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike's sunflower:
<STRONG>
I do feel Farawyn is better explained in the book than the Arwen/Aragorn story. I believe that is because Farawyn is part of the book itself and A/A is an appendix that had to be added to explain why Aragorn is marrying Arwen.

Anita</STRONG>
I feel the same way cause it's nicer to read about their story in RotK rather than have to go to the Appendices to find it. It makes it a little more personal to the reader cause you feel like you're getting to know the characters better too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
You are my signal fire.
The only resolution and the only joy,
Is the faint spark of forgiveness in your eyes.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Addicted Fan

Just a little thing before going back to F/E: I think in the end it all comes down to whether you like them or not. If the movie had more F/E moments, maybe I wouldn't feel like they were too much. Like it didn't bother me that there were more A/E moments than in the books.

Now on Farawyn, I also like the fact that it's in the actual book. It makes it feel more like a part of the story. I wish there were more on the appendix about F/E, though, a little about what happens to them after the books.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Extreme Fan

I didn't feel much of a difference between the books and the appendices. I was so bummed that the books were over, that I clung to that extra info like it was the end of the world! I loved loved loved reading about what happened to the other characters. When I finished the appendices, that was the end of the books for me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I also wish we knew what happened to F and E. Tolkien knew what he was doing, it seems. He knew we'd have this conversation some day [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]. Aragorn and Arwen aren't in the books, but they get a very detailed history. Faramir and Eowyn are in the books, but he doesn't give us their story AWOTR. So to me, it seems he thought both couples were important. Sneaky.

Quote:
I think in the end it all comes down to whether you like them or not.
Right-o.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Extreme Fan

I didn't feel much of a difference between the books and the appendices. I was so bummed that the books were over, that I clung to that extra info like it was the end of the world! I loved loved loved reading about what happened to the other characters. When I finished the appendices, that was the end of the books for me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I also wish we knew what happened to F and E. Tolkien knew what he was doing, it seems. He knew we'd have this conversation some day [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]. Aragorn and Arwen aren't in the books, but they get a very detailed history. Faramir and Eowyn are in the books, but he doesn't give us their story AWOTR. So to me, it seems he thought both couples were important. Sneaky.

Quote:
I think in the end it all comes down to whether you like them or not.
Right-o.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jayta :

I would like to say in retrospect to the Faramir/Boromir loving the throne of Gondor more is totally out of wack. I think they loved *Gondor* but not the throne. I don't think that either really wanted to be *king* even though Boromir desired to see Gondor in all its glory again. I think they loved their people and that doesn't necessarily mean that they deserved to be king.
I agree with you that Faramir and Boromir loved Gondor more than the throne. And yet, I somehow believe that Boromir wanted the throne, but not for his own glory but for Gondor's. After all, Gondor has been without a king for generations and its glory had faded away because of this. And I recall this line from Faramir, when he told Frodo that Boromir has once asked his father how long it'll take for a Steward to be made King when the king hasn't returned, and that his father had answered that ten thousand years wouldn't be long enough in Gondor. And then Faramir replied that, although Boromir treated Aragorn with respect, both hadn't become rivals yet.

Quote:
Posted by Blairy :

Anne: I never noticed her as Aragorn's girlfriend, and any references of her in the book as Aragorn's girlfriend were not made obvious or clear to me. Aragorn marrying Arwen, I think, is a bit of surprise. There is no build up to the wedding.
I never saw A/A as a surprise, since, like I told you, I've read in the introduction that Barahir had written the story of Arwen and Aragorn. Yet, I have to admit that when Eowyn went into picture, I had my doubt. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Still, reading hints of Arwen in parts like Elrond's council, the Lothlorien, the banner brought by her brothers, etc... maintain her presence visible to me. But I guess everyone has a different way of reading. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Posted by Vera :

You know what I hate about no Farawyn? It's the little things, like trading cards, and a song, posters, and the toys and all that.
Oh I know! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I wish I had some sort of good Farawyn stuff, like a mini-poster! That really sucks.

Quote:
I also wish we knew what happened to F and E. Tolkien knew what he was doing, it seems. He knew we'd have this conversation some day . Aragorn and Arwen aren't in the books, but they get a very detailed history. Faramir and Eowyn are in the books, but he doesn't give us their story AWOTR. So to me, it seems he thought both couples were important. Sneaky.
Yep, he doesn't give much details about the story of F/E after the coronation, but there are some informations about them in the Tales of Middle-Earth where Tolkien precised their city, the name of their son, and the date of faramir's death.

Anne
Old 01-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jayta :

I would like to say in retrospect to the Faramir/Boromir loving the throne of Gondor more is totally out of wack. I think they loved *Gondor* but not the throne. I don't think that either really wanted to be *king* even though Boromir desired to see Gondor in all its glory again. I think they loved their people and that doesn't necessarily mean that they deserved to be king.
I agree with you that Faramir and Boromir loved Gondor more than the throne. And yet, I somehow believe that Boromir wanted the throne, but not for his own glory but for Gondor's. After all, Gondor has been without a king for generations and its glory had faded away because of this. And I recall this line from Faramir, when he told Frodo that Boromir has once asked his father how long it'll take for a Steward to be made King when the king hasn't returned, and that his father had answered that ten thousand years wouldn't be long enough in Gondor. And then Faramir replied that, although Boromir treated Aragorn with respect, both hadn't become rivals yet.

Quote:
Posted by Blairy :

I never saw A/A as a surprise, since, like I told you, I've read in the introduction that Barahir had written the story of Arwen and Aragorn. Yet, I have to admit that when Eowyn went into picture, I had my doubt. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Still, reading hints of Arwen in parts like Elrond's council, the Lothlorien, the banner brought by her brothers, etc... maintain her presence visible to me. But I guess everyone has a different way of reading. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Posted by Vera :

Oh I know! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I wish I had some sort of good Farawyn stuff, like a mini-poster! That really sucks.

Quote:
I also wish we knew what happened to F and E. Tolkien knew what he was doing, it seems. He knew we'd have this conversation some day . Aragorn and Arwen aren't in the books, but they get a very detailed history. Faramir and Eowyn are in the books, but he doesn't give us their story AWOTR. So to me, it seems he thought both couples were important. Sneaky.
Yep, he doesn't give much details about the story of F/E after the coronation, but there are some informations about them in the Tales of Middle-Earth where Tolkien precised their city, the name of their son, and the date of faramir's death.

Anne
Old 01-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruby Trample of Woody End:
<STRONG>

Wow, that would make an awesome avie. Welcome back, jayta! [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img]

Blairy, I hope so too, but my hopes are kinda down.</STRONG>

Yes. It would. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Thanks. That's why I want it. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Just playin' with ya [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I know. I just need someone to help me make one! [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited jayta ]
Damon/Elena Jeremy/Anna TEAM ANNA TEAM DAMON
Closed Thread   Post New Thread