Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

[Episode Discussion] 2x22 - "Nevertheless She Persisted" [SEASON FINALE] - May 22nd 2017

Season 2, Episode 22
"Nevertheless She Persisted"
Episode Discussion
original air date, Monday May 22nd 2017

Synopsis:

SUPERGIRL FIGHTS FOR HER CITY; SUPERMAN RETURNS - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) challenges Rhea (guest star Teri Hatcher) to battle to save National City. Meanwhile, Superman (guest star Tyler Hoechlin) returns and Cat Grant (guest star Calista Flockhart) offers Supergirl some sage advice. Glen Winter directed the episode with story by Andrew Kreisberg & Jessica Queller and teleplay by Robert Rovner & Caitlin Parrish (#222). Original airdate 5/22/2017.

[previous episode] | [next episode]

Basic Rules:
○ Be Respectful of other posters.
○ Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
○ No Character/Actor Bashing.
○ Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
○ Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
○ Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Awesome Nerds; 10-02-2017 at 04:27 PM
Awesome Nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

It'll be amazing!!!
a fine mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Total Fan

- Wow… the Clark/Kara fight was awesome. Maybe she should have yelled “Save Martha” to get through to him…

I wonder if they’ll bring Zod in for real next season? I wouldn’t mind seeing the super cousins team up more regularly.

- Someone needs to ease up on the lens flare in the Fortress. Yikes.

- Did Winn just mouth “I love you” to Superman?

- Mon-El… did you seriously just say that Superman should fight Rhea instead? You’re still doubting Kara after all this time?

Just when I thought his characterization was getting better…

- Mon-El: I won’t be the reason this planet suffers
Me: Um… you kind of already are. Maybe you should have just gone home with your mom.

- Clark: I’m always fighting for Lois
Me: My Clois-shipping heart!

- Rhea cheated. What a shock..

- Sweet! M’gann got some White Martian buddies to help! Go M’gann!

Still not totally comfortable with J'onn and M'gann being romantic though. I'm too used to them having a familial connection.

- Hey, Star City exists on Supergirl-Earth too. Is there also a Green Arrow?

- Couldn’t they have just sent Mon-El through that Stargate thingy, or even send him to Earth-1 (they still have Cisco’s little portal maker) instead of shipping him into space?

Oh well. Mon-El is probably going to come back in Season 3 anyway... if he doesn’t get killed in the Phantom Zone, that is.

- Alex asking Maggie to marry her was a bit sudden, but okay. I’m happy for them.

- Did Lillian really take credit for saving the planet? Despite her promises, she’s still a crappy mother. Poor Lena.

- Lena and Winn are the unsung heroes with all their awesome tech skills, and no one ever thanks them.

- YES, Cat knows Kara is Supergirl! I figured as much, but I’m glad she said it.

- Did we just see Baby Doomsday heading to Earth at the end of the episode?

Last edited by Elektra; 05-22-2017 at 06:32 PM
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Absolute Fan

Mon-El did not end up stranded in the Phantom Zone.

For starters, the Phantom Zone is an actual area of physical space located in the Rao System nearby to where Krypton used to be, and is where Kara's pod got stuck for 24 years after Krypton exploded.

Second, the Zone is not accessed via artificial wormhole, which is exactly what that thing that swallowed Mon-El's pod was.

As far as the episode on the whole is concerned, I thought it was the best finale that the Arrowverse has delivered, period, and the best episode Supergirl's produced to date. The Kara vs Kal and Rhea vs. Kara fights were really well-executed, especially with the added complication of Kal thinking he was fighting Zod. It was also really awesome to see M'gann show back up, and with an army of freaking White Martians.

I also love that we got Karamel I Love Yous, a Sanvers engagement, and a Martian makeout session all in the same episode, even if the first of those things was precipitated by a sad (albeit temporary) goodbye.

Cat knowing that Kara is Supergirl isn't something that I think we really needed to have explicitly spelled out since it was pretty obvious already, but I am wondering what's going to happen when/if Kara learns that Cat is aware, and whether or not she'll handle it better than she did the first time.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Total Fan

^There's no need to "yell".

In the comics, Mon-El was sent into the Phantom Zone (through a portal) in a pod due to lead poisoning, so it's no surprise that this is what myself and others are speculating.

Having said that, I'm open to other speculation. Could he have ended up on the other side of the Universe, or some version of New Krypton? Maybe the necklace was some kind of wormhole device and it warped him somewhere that was supposed to be a safe haven for Kara?

Either way, wormholes can lead anywhere, so we can't completely cross the Phantom Zone off the list unless the showrunners/writers let something slip in an upcoming interview (which is quite possible, but I have not yet seen anything online. Maybe tomorrow).

We'll find out for sure in Season 3.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Absolute Fan

^ I wasn't "yelling"; I was emphasizing.

And, yes, we CAN rule out the Phantom Zone, because everything I said about it has been previously established during the first season of the series.

As I noted, that wormhole thingy more than likely took him to the future and to an encounter with the Legion of Superheroes.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
-

- Mon-El: I won’t be the reason this planet suffers
Me: Um… you kind of already are. Maybe you should have just gone home with your mom.

- Did we just see Baby Doomsday heading to Earth at the end of the episode?
Rhea chose the planet because it was suitable, not because Mon-El was on it

Author of ISBN
wickedrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:37 PM
New Fan

The episode began well with the Supergirl/Superman fight but the rest felt very rushed and the plan to poison the daxamites was very poorly explained.

- It's an airborne virus supposed to make earth uninhabitable but they release it from inside a building and it doesn't seem tp spread farther than National City.

- The goal is to push them to leave but it kills Rhea in just a few seconds, I guess Lena miscalculated.

-The daxamites just leaving like that and abandoning Rhea was lame. It would have really helped if they had tried to flesh out the daxamite society instead of keeping them as faceless soldiers who follow blindly Rhea

- Everybody deciding that Mon-El had to leave earth to survive was contrived just because the writers really wanted him to end up in this wormhole. They have portals toward others planets and reality, they didn't even try to just put him inside the DEO or somewhere away from the contaminated air.
- I may be disappointed with the way the wrote Mon-El's (temporary) exit but Melissa and Chris gave it everything, it was a very emotional scene.

Alex proposing is too fast. Not only it's too soon but I don't think she's doing it for the right reasons, she's doing it out of fear because she doesn't want to lose Maggie like Kara lost Mon-El and not because she really wants to get married.

One last thing, I know that they have a limited budget and were putting the money somewhere else but it would be nice to see a big fight with Kara that doesn't end in a simple fistfight like she doesn't have powers.
Icy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

well, there were a few problems with that episode indeed

Author of ISBN
wickedrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What do you guess those problems were?

It was interesting hearing Superman say he was going to destroy Earth. Because I don't think in reality that this planet would need Superman's help to destroy it if people wanted it destroyed enough. But OK he said it & the planet still survived. If I saw correctly big bad Superman got beat up by tiny Supergirl.

So Mon-El is apparently gone from Earth forever? Tough luck for him if that's true, though not surprised another 1 of Kara's relationships didn't last.

I agree that Alex proposing was fast though adults can marry whomever they want to. It did make me wonder if Alex knows how to be romantic when asking someone to marry her though. I guess there are worse ways to ask someone to marry you like perhaps over the phone or a telegram. What do you think?
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
Rhea chose the planet because it was suitable, not because Mon-El was on it
She found Earth because she was looking for Mon-El. She wanted to take him home to Daxam so they could rebuild their society. I don't recall her saying anything about taking over Earth until Mon-El defied her.

Rhea got petty after that.

While it's not actually Mon-El's fault, Rhea attacking Earth had more to do with losing him to "that Kryptonian woman" and less to do with needing a suitable planet, despite what she claimed or told her people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy91 (View Post)
Alex proposing is too fast. Not only it's too soon but I don't think she's doing it for the right reasons, she's doing it out of fear because she doesn't want to lose Maggie like Kara lost Mon-El and not because she really wants to get married.
It kind of reminded me of Barry proposing to Iris (the first time) in The Flash this season - he did it out of fear as well.

Maybe Alex needs to sing Maggie a heart-touching song to prove that she means it
Old 05-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm not a fan of Karamel (Kara and Mon-el), I just like it a little and respect the relationship, but whoever believes that Mon-el is gone and does not come back is innocent and does not see that everything indicates that he comes back, elements in the comics contribute to his return, but how it will happen and in what form, only when the season 3 filming begins and the spoilers begin to appear.

I foresee drama

Speaking of Sanves, although I really like the couple, this marriage request was precipitated, done very much in the heat of the moment, I hope this will not be a cause of conflict in season 3, but like every good series and even more at CWTV , dramas will happen.

And the next season's villain looks like be Reing, look who's on those links.

Reign (Prime Earth) | DC Database | Fandom powered by Wikia

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/reign/4005-82077/

The Rogue Prince
Clarice83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Alex proposing is too fast.
Chyler actually talked about this in a recent interview. Alex and Maggie are mere mortals working among god-like beings. She mentioned that they know that they are risking their lives in highly dangerous situations and could die at any time, therefore they have to go for it, live for the day, and not put something off or play it safe.

Maggie was shot by Henshaw, after which she realized that "life is too short" and she needed to go for being with Alex.

Alex dumped Maggie after Kara went missing, only to realize what a mistake that was and to have Maggie remind her that "bad stuff happens" all the time in their work.

Alex was kidnapped and nearly drowned, and then she watched the planet be invaded and what Kara went through. Kara told her never to let Maggie go.

So her proposal was spontaneous, but they've been building on this for much of the season.

And an engagement is often just cementing a relationship. Some people stay engaged for years before marrying. Some people marry after knowing each other for six months and are still together decades later; everyone is different.

This offers new opportunities for stories beyond the usual slow-burn, will they /won't they, on-and-off drama that plagues so many television relationships.

I say bring it on!
Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

OK. So you think they are going to get married to each other sooner than later? I understand waiting, but do you think that nobody else is every going to want to marry 1 of these people? Things happen. I think 6 months to a year of being engaged should be plenty of time to know that neither of em would leave the other at the alter for some reason, though that would be an interesting episode.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)

In the comics...

Am I the only NON-comic reader that watches this show? I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the references, and I also have only this show to go by with regard to the characters that get introduced. Even the Flash crossovers...I haven't seen a single episode of The Flash. But I still enjoy the hell out of Supergirl.
Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread