Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 AM
New Fan

Star Trek Collections & Collectables

Hi everyone..

I'm new to the board. I am currently looking for 2 props.. either photos or replicas. They are what Lt. Uhura wore in the Mirror Mirror episode- her comm. badge and her dagger. If I cant find replicas i can make them if I can find some close up shots.

Ive had a Klingon costume and I would really like to do a feddy suit now. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
~Mel

TheBigGunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Welcome Mel. I'm not aware of anyone here who collects props and stuff but maybe somebody will be able to help you out.

Just so you know, selling isn't allowed here, but trading is fine.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:48 AM
New Fan

Looking for pics/ props

How many on this board have a very large Star Trek collection?
I'm talking hundreds and hundreds if not even thousands of items.
Anyone?
startrekfiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
New Fan

Star Trek Collections

While browsing information on the net on past Star Trek collectible guide books I came accross this:

http://www.amazon.com/House-Collecti.../dp/0876379943

If you read the reviews on this book near the bottom of the page, you will notice an entry saying it would be nice to have an updated book. That entry is dated back from 1999 showing that even 7 years ago fans were asking for an updated book.
Though I disagree that thie book in that review was the best one done given that it hardly has any pictures and most were in B/W at that. It also mentions the Remco Astro toy line as being scarce and possibly even prototypes. Though I will agree that these are very scarce the question that still remains unanswered is where did Sue Cornwell and Mike Kott get the information for them to come to the conclusion that these are probably prototypes and that possibly less than 10 still exist?
I have seen 3 of these Astro toys pop up on ebay in the last few weeks alone. Of course that doesn't mean there has to be more just because 3 have been listed on eBay recently but they don't "seem" as scarce or worth anything close to what the book leads you to believe.
First you have to understand how prototypes are done and then in this case know the history of the Remco toy company. Knowing these two facts you will come to believe that the information given in this book on the Astro toys is probably incorrect.
Though this series of vintage toys is very valauble of course, the chances of them being worth the many thousands they claim in the book (up to $8000 and this was 10 years ago) I feel is highly unlikely. Anything however is possible of course.

Anyway, with eBay as big as it is now and a few more Star Trek series having been done and a few more movies come and gone since the last guide books were published (and even the last one published was just a reprinting of an 4th edition of a previous book), I think it is high time the fans and collectors finally had a new updated full color pictorial Star Trek collectibles guide book published. Don't you?

I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this as well.

Steve
Old 12-14-2006, 11:06 AM
New Fan

Though I have a ton of Star Trek props I have to sadly admit that I don't believe I have any props from that episode. I have a few mirror mirror pins and patches but they are more series recognition related then actual props.

Steve
Old 12-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

To keep the board organized, I'm going to retitle this thread 'Start Trek Collections'. Questions about what other people may have or sharing pictures of your own collection can go here.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekfiero (View Post)
How many on this board have a very large Star Trek collection?
I'm talking hundreds and hundreds if not even thousands of items.
Anyone?
Welcome to Fan Forum Steve!

Not me. I've never been much for collecting things. Do you have an extensive collection?

Quote:
Though I will agree that these are very scarce the question that still remains unanswered is where did Sue Cornwell and Mike Kott get the information for them to come to the conclusion that these are probably prototypes and that possibly less than 10 still exist?
Not being a collector, I don't know much about it. I agree with you though that it's frustrating when an author makes a claim like that and doesn't provide any reasoning or evidence as to how they came to that conclusion.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:31 AM
New Fan

Star Trek Collections

Hi All
I have a star trek boxset with five of the films in it that kirk
etc made. Can anyone give me details of how rare this is? Thanks joe
joeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
New Fan

Lets see if I can get this going with some pics of some of my collection:

Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
New Fan

Oops, sorry. I had forgoten abouyt this thread and didn't see it until after I started the other one.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeant (View Post)
Hi All
I have a star trek boxset with five of the films in it that kirk
etc made. Can anyone give me details of how rare this is? Thanks joe
There are a few sets that would fit your description.
Are you talking about one of the movie boxed set of VHS tapes or one of the more recent DVD sets?
Is it a numbered set?
Can you perhaps post a picture of it?
If not, I can see about posting a picture of the ones I have and then you could confirm if any of them are the same as the one you are describing.

Last edited by startrekfiero; 03-08-2007 at 09:59 AM
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Woah! You have quite an extensive collection! Have you watched the movies or are they all in their original wrappers?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:23 AM
New Fan

I have quite a few duplicates but unlike the toys where I try and get at least two of each, the movies and episodes I don't usually unless I happen to obtain an extra one in a multiple purchase of getting something else. So yes, many are open as we watch Star Trek quite often as you can imagine.
My wife and I are currently going through the TNG episodes. We have reached The best of both worlds part one.
We also watch Voyager on Spike quite often though they seem to be a bit out of order and we are also currently enjoying watching Star Trek remastered on Saturday evenings at 7pm.

The big news is that my wife and I have been working on creating an updated full color Star Trek Memorabilia and collectibles book. We now have two publishers wanting to publish the book. We have to decide soon which one we want to go with. Since it was just announced that Star Trek Xl will be released for Christmas 2008, this gives us enough time to really do a great book and have it published to be released for the timing of the film.
We currently have three sections of the book done. Puzzles, Board Games and Frisbees. That may not sound like much, but keep in mind that unlike past Star Trek collectibles books that may have had a couple pictures of items per category and the rest of the items just listed as a description, this book will contain pictures of as many of the items listed as possible. So far we have an image for each item per category that we have created. Unfortunately that won't be possible for every category due not so much for the lack of having the item to actually take a picture of, though that will happen at times of course since I obviously don't own one of everything , but more because we are limited to only so many pictures allowed per page and limited to only so many pictures as a total for the whole book. That means that we have to decide at times what items we will have to leave out a picture for. Once we have taken the pictures for each section we then have to create a description for each picture/item and assign a current updated value for it.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, so to speak, we don't need much for the description of course but I find adding a current value to most of them to be difficult and kind of silly really since eBay has really changed the landscape of consistent pricing of many collectibles in the past 5 years or so, including Star Trek.
However, one of the things I am really trying to add to this book is special information at times about some of the items and/or the company and people that made them.
For example, to save money many of the company's that the vintage toys would re-use some of the molds to release a different toy for a different character or subject. The utility belts by Remco are a good example. There were three different box versions released over a few years. Not only that, but Remco also released an Incredible Hulk utility belt that included a green Star Trek communicator which they called a gamma radiation detector. They also released a Superman utility belt which again included a newly colored Star Trek communicator in red and blue Superman colors complete with a Superman "S" decal on the antenna lid.

I hope that with adding these extra little touches and info to this book, it will make it sought after and cherished by Star Trek fans and collectors for years to come. And hopefully it will sell well enough to allow us to release a second updated edition so we can then include additional items we were not able to in the first edition including any of the Star Trek Xl movie merchandise that should be out by then

Add to all of this we are also in the process of creating a Star Trek Collector Magazine.
This bi monthly magazine will be for an about the fan and collector of Star Trek toys and memorabilia.
It will feature in each issue stories about a variety of old and new Star Trek collectibles, stories and interviews with the companies and people who created them, interviews with fans and other collectors, contests and more.

So anyway, that is pretty much what my wife and I have been up to the past 4 or 5 months now

Steve

Last edited by startrekfiero; 03-09-2007 at 06:41 AM
Old 03-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Sounds like you've been quite busy with this project. Something so comprehensive is a huge undertaking, but I'm sure that the end result will be worth the time you devoted to it.

Quote:
For example, to save money many of the company's that the vintage toys would re-use some of the molds to release a different toy for a different character or subject. The utility belts by Remco are a good example. There were three different box versions released over a few years. Not only that, but Remco also released an Incredible Hulk utility belt that included a green Star Trek communicator which they called a gamma radiation detector. They also released a Superman utility belt which again included a newly colored Star Trek communicator in red and blue Superman colors complete with a Superman "S" decal on the antenna lid.
Really? I admit that I suspected that kind of stuff happened, but thought that it could just be coincidence.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
New Fan

I just talked to one of the people in charge at the magazine publishers a few hours ago.
The phone conversation went very well and I e-mailed them more samples of the magazine.

Anyway, here are a few samples of the upcoming magazines 1st issue to give you an idea of what you will soon be able to order, subscribe to and will see on magazine store shelves:

Last edited by startrekfiero; 03-09-2007 at 05:28 PM
Reply   Post New Thread