Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have a question for those of you who watched the series when it first aired - and who didn't read the episode spoilers!

In "His Way," after Odo stomps out of the holosuite when he discovers Vic has lied to him about Kira being a hologram, did you think it would end with yet another missed opportunity? Or did you think Odo and Kira would resolve all that UST?

I can't imagine how frusrating it would have been to have thought that yet another misunderstanding would have forestalled them getting together. I'm curious to know what you thought at the time you saw the show.

Thanks,

Mary

Who needs Dinner . . .
Old 05-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Supreme Fan

I watched it live when it aired ... and I remember being near tears. I figured there was no way they could come back from that, and what a big let-down it was. I knew that Vic's charade would be discovered ... and I grimaced when it came to a head. I felt SO bad for Odo.

When the kiss happened, I was and . And when they kissed again, I was in paradise! I watched it, and re-watched it until about 2 in the morning.

See, back when it aired, there were NO online spoilers. Star Trek sites for DS9 (especially Odo & Kira fansites) were very few and far between. There was a picture I saw of them kissing in a Star Trek magazine ... but I figured it was a very good computer/promo shot because the caption read, "Will Odo's dream (insert picture) come true?" That was it. I had no way of knowing until AFTER the episode aired that it was actually the "His Way" kiss. The only glimpses we got were the previews/promos after each new episode aired ... or whatever one sentence summary we got in the following week's TV guide. So, in the TV guide, it basically said that Odo goes to a holographic lounge lizard to ask for help to woo Kira. The promo said, "He's love sick and looking for a cure." (Shot of Odo talking with Quark, and then Odo & Kira walking along the Promenade). Then we saw him lean down to kiss Lola. "Can a hologram truly change a Changeling?" Then the scene of Odo at the piano.

The end result of "His Way" was a complete surprise. And definitely a good one .

I got to relive that exhilaration recently, if you check out my icon -- Huddy ([H]ouse, M.D. - House & Cuddy), who finally got together after SIX YEARS!

I've uploaded a new video to the OP.

Odo & Kira - What If I Said
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Last edited by Wes&FredFan; 05-29-2010 at 06:38 PM
Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Elite Fan

I love the kiss in his way!! for a moment I was like Odo don;t leave. but then the end Odo just grabs kira by the shoulders and kisses her!! i was like w00t!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

It was a good kiss to let everyone know that they were in a relationship

Lovley vid Donna
Old 05-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

As I said, I wasn't a regular viewer, but I remember seeing "His Way" when it first aired and being completely mezmerized by it - the dancing, the music, it was just so lovely. And I too thought it would end badly.

Then we got that scene on the Promenade, when rigid, unbending, unyeilding Odo finally breaks in two right before our eyes! The whole show was just amazing.

Absolutely LOVED Donna's new video. She married the perfect song with the perfect images of Odo and Kira and created a real masterpiece. I've already watched it at least a dozen times. Way to go, Donna. I think this is your best one yet.

Mary

Who needs Dinner . . .
Old 05-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Supreme Fan

What I loved about the kiss (replaying it from memory ... ) is initially, they're just walking along the Promenade talking. And it's only when Odo bitterly brings up Shakaar (asking if Shakaar would approve) that Kira stops him. She puts her hand on HIM to stop him, but he's still facing somewhat away from her, like he's going to keep walking. He's openly jealous now, and she feels that she has to clarify her relationship with Shakaar as JUST a friendship. It's only when Kira makes this distinction that Odo fully faces her. Kira refers to Shakaar's status as "First Minister" ... further clearing up any misunderstanding Odo might have. Odo has this expression like "What? That's IT?" So, he was basically jealous for nothing. She's frustrated, demanding to know if they're going out again or not. He wants to know, basically, what happens afterward. By now, they're just in full primal mode -- emotions running high, pent-up desire from last night ... she brings up dancing. And it's Odo (our shy guy!) who brings up a kiss first, though you can tell it's running through his mind. Each one is upping the ante, challenging the other. He's basically asking her, "Look, I want to kiss you. If we go out to dinner, go dancing, will it happen?" And her response of, "It's possible" is all he needs. I love how he just looks around (though he's not really seeing the crowd), says, "Well, then who needs dinner? Why don't I get it over with and kiss you right now?"

Well, why don't you?

And then we have onscreen passion at it's best !

Thank you for your feedback on the MV. I'm glad you like it .
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Elite Fan

Best kiss ever!! for Star Trek!!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

So with all this talk about "His Way" I just had to pull out the DVD and watch it again. It hasn't lost any of it's magic, that's for sure.

YES - best kiss ever!

Mary

Who needs Dinner . . .
Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Elite Fan

No matter how many times I watch it I will never get over how powerful that kiss is or how they share a smile before they kiss again.

I love all the K/O episodes but the ones after HIS WAY are the better ones because they are together and they are lovers!!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

What I find astonishing is the absolute believability of that scene on the Promenade. What makes "The Kiss" so enduring is that it came as a natural evolution of two characters who grew progressively closer over the years, had tremendous ups and downs but fought through everything to finally reach this point.

How often in TV do we see two people with no shared history and nothing in common just fall into bed at the slightest provocation. Beyond the titilation factor, how can the audience really *care* what happens to them? Actually, this was a pretty common occurance in the Star Trek world.

But with Odo and Kira, we were invested in them. We spent six years watching them with everything building to this magical moment on the Promenade. It was the big payoff for feeling and sharing all of Odo's grief and agnst and years of unrequited love.

I keep using that word magical, but I'm damned if I can find a better description for "His Way."

Mary

Who needs Dinner . . .
Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Elite Fan

It was very magical and it was a huge pay off for them. They needed a litle happiness after everything that had happened... lol!!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Supreme Fan

Definitely, LOL!

I loved how Odo & Kira are after their kiss! They are very much together ... very much devoted to each other. As friends, as lovers. They're everything to each other. And in every scene since that kiss on the Promenade, when they are walking side-by-side, their shoulders are pretty much in constant contact, as though they are walking as one single unit.

One of my favorite post "His Way" moments - the blockade - the moment Kira is told the wormhole is opened, that's her fourth ace. She has the upper hand, because now the Dominion CAN send reinforcements through the wormhole. If the Romulans start firing, then the Federation will get involved ... and the Romulans will have to contend with the Dominion AND the Federation. So, Kira orders all Bajoran ships to charge their weapons, and get ready. Odo looks at her like, "WHAT?!" then smirks a little. Kira, knowing he's right behind her (as always ), teases, "Still glad you came along?" And he replies, without missing a beat, "I wouldn't have missed it for anything." You know he means it.

Then of course you've got that private look between them after Ross congratulates Kira on her extremely well-delivered bluff.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 06-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

Oh when in that episode when Odo hands Kira one of his Mike hammer books because he knows how she hates to wait... lol!! That was awesome!!

i just love their whole relationship.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

The thing I love about their relationship is Odo's outward transformation. For six years he was the 'cold, rigid, remote' Changeling. Of course we knew better thanks to the window the writers gave us into Odo's soul (and Rene's amazing ability to project all that love and pain with his eyes), but Odo's public demeanor was gruff, standoffish and private. He gave nothing away. Maybe it was that VERY public kiss on the Promenade, or maybe it was the transformative power of love, but from the moment he and Kira got together, Odo didn't show the least little bit of embarrassment about PDA. No awkwardness, no discomfort, no "Nerys, not here." He's got the girl and he's damned proud of it!

That's a big step forward for our shy, closed-off Changeling. He didn't just come out of his shell - he LEAPED out of it, and in a way that wasn't a bit OOC.

It's those little vignettes that I love - the kiss on the cheek at the end of "The Reckoning," the 'kissing and making up' scene from "Tears of the Prophets," the way they put their arms around each other as they head out of Quark's in "The Sound of Her Voice," and many many more. As you said, the way they walk close together, grazing each others shoulders. Who could have imagined someone as repressed as Odo doing those things and being completely as ease about it?

I think for me perhaps the grandest moment was in "Tacking into the Wind." Garak surprises Odo in his decaying state. When Odo says "If I don't want pity from the woman I love, why would I want it from you," This sort of public declaration of love, especially to someone (Garak) that Odo didn't really consider a friend represents the end to a long journey of personal growth. Odo couldn't tell Kira he loved her for six years, but now he can speak of his love with confidence to anyone.

WOW!

Mary

Who needs Dinner . . .
Old 06-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Supreme Fan

That was a powerful scene ... and in "When It Rains" when Kira rages against Rusot on his behalf, Odo is up beside her in a flash, knowing what her intent is. She storms off, and he shoots Rusot a warning look, as if to say, "I know your plan ... it won't work." Kira's fuming with anger, the likes of which we haven't seen in ages. Mixed with that is grief, she just found out that Odo is infected with the disease, a bitter reminder, perhaps, of the betrayal on DS9 when he linked with the Founder. Odo comes upon her quietly, the very voice of reason, reassuring her that she did the right thing. "The Dominion is our enemy, Nerys, NOT Rusot." She whirls on him -- "I DON'T NEED YOU TO REMIND ME OF THAT!" The reference is plain, and Odo looks like she just slapped him across the face. A heartbeat later, she apologizes, but both Odo and Kira feel the pain of that previous betrayal ... because until "Extreme Measures" we're led to believe that it has now come back to haunt Odo and Kira, and will take Odo away from her. I love the look of adoration Odo gazes upon Kira with when she comes back ... and how determined he is that she won't worry about him, when she's known all along. It's the force of their love for each other. Friends. Lovers. Everything.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Closed Thread   Post New Thread