Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM
New Fan

I descovered Star Trek by accident. I was turning the telivision dial and saw it starting. I thought I would watch and see if I liked it. I decided that I did.
Horta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Total Fan

I have no idea when I was introduced to Star Trek except that it had to be TOS through repeats. And it had to be before I entered 8th grade because I remember watching episodes in B&W (color televisions existed then but we still had an ancient B&W with a dial).

I also didn't get to watch the first season of TNG at first because where I lived didn't have the right station. Not sure if we would have any way because we were kind of against the idea. We changed our minds.

Watched DS9 when it was first introduced but lost interest part way through, possibly because of life getting in the way.

Couldn't watch Voyager until it went into syndication because I didn't get UPN. Still haven't seen every season though I stumbled upon the finale once.

Lastly, I watched Enterprise from the beginning through the end and am still bitter. Can't even watch the promos on SciFi without switching the channel.

I believe I have seen every movie on the big screen and I own most of them on VHS. I even remember going to the theater on Thanksgiving with friends to see one of them - probably The Voyage Home.

And that's pretty much my life in Trek. Except for the books on tape I've listened to and my visit to The Star Trek Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton.
dukesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom (View Post)
Lastly, I watched Enterprise from the beginning through the end and am still bitter. Can't even watch the promos on SciFi without switching the channel.
*sigh* I know what you mean. I have yet to watch an episode of Enterprise in syndication.

Quote:
I remember watching episodes in B&W (color televisions existed then but we still had an ancient B&W with a dial).
Never thought, but I would have originally watched in black & white too.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 AM
New Fan

I started from TNG around 1992 when i was seven years old and skipped DS9 when it came out but watched Voyager as soon as it was on VHS and then finally caught up with DS9 in 2001 by watching them by the weekly rental full by carting off six videos at a time and then finally watching my favourite which was Enterprise, spent the premiere watching it from my aunts back patio on a horrible reception TV.

I was one of a fraction of fans who rallied to save Enterprise and after being battered from pillar to post on the subject i am now finishing my Save Enterprise days to hopefully be of some use around here and now i am awaiting the Star Trek film in 2008 well trying to make fan videos and games to fill in the time
chuckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I know of several people who tried to help save Enterprise. We had info about campaigns posted here at the time. I thought it had improved immensely in the final season and it's a shame that it was cancelled.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:56 PM
New Fan

I was in my early teens and always thought it was for geeks even though I didn't watch it. I was aware of Kirk and Spock and when I first caught a glimpse of TNG I just thought this was a more up to date version of TOS, with Data taking Spock's place and Picard as the new Kirk.

Two of my best friends were really into it (circa 1996) and convinced me to go and watch First Contact in the cinema. It was great for me, I had no idea who the Borg were, I felt nerves watching that and from then on I was watching TNG everyday at 5pm over here in the UK. At that time it was around season 4 of DS9 and I started watching that as well. It was great for me cos it was just around the time the Dominion War kicked off, and having watched all of DS9 since then, it was the best time to get into it, cos the first 2 and a half seasons were just boring, a bit like "What stupid situation can we come up with this time" for me.

DS9 for me brought something that TNG lacked (and TOS lacked in abundance) - visual effects, graphic battles. DS9 defined a lot that was undefined in the previous series' (small things like Bird's of Prey having their wings down whilst attacking instead of up).

Watching TNG again now, so much of it is science based, whereas DS9 was less so, but it is so much more interesting, I just wish the visual effects were to match (oh, and that it wasn't so dated in 80's attire).

Anyway that's how it began - I watched all of Voyager too but that was more out of feeling I had to (and I remember watching a show on Trekkies where a guy said no matter how bad the next series of Star Trek would be, he'd still watch it). Every Saturday back then I'd have TOS on at 2, TNG on at 3, DS9 on at 4 and VOY on at 5.

This has turned into a conversation with myself but I have few people to talk to about the subject and I love it.
hbkidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM
New Fan

now you have alot more people to talk Trek with
chuckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Passionate Fan

I was first exposed to Star Trek through my dad. He used to watch reruns on Saturday. We watched IV & saw a commercial for STNG. I liked the music, and saw young Wesley. At the time I had a crush on Wil Wheaton (as did my sister). We watched it with my dad to watch Wil. We then got into for its own merits.

I got my husband hooked by watching the viewers favorite 10 episodes (before STNG went off the air). He really liked it after that. STNG & Voyager are my favorites. I've been rewatching Voyager on Spike w/my kids & now they are getting into SciFi too. I like that it's a show I grew up watching with my family, and now I can watch with the family I've made.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkidf (View Post)
I was in my early teens and always thought it was for geeks even though I didn't watch it.
I think that's a fairly common perception.

Quote:
I was aware of Kirk and Spock and when I first caught a glimpse of TNG I just thought this was a more up to date version of TOS, with Data taking Spock's place and Picard as the new Kirk.
I wonder how many people assumed that TNG would just be a remake and not something new?

Quote:
This has turned into a conversation with myself
Not really, you just have to be patient for responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink & white cookies (View Post)
I liked the music, and saw young Wesley. At the time I had a crush on Wil Wheaton (as did my sister). We watched it with my dad to watch Wil. We then got into for its own merits.
Yes, attractive actors definitely help a show's initial success. Decent writing and storylines keep the show going, but wanting to see the characters certainly helps.

Quote:
I've been rewatching Voyager on Spike w/my kids & now they are getting into SciFi too. I like that it's a show I grew up watching with my family, and now I can watch with the family I've made.
I enjoyed watching Enterprise and TNG with my son. I don't remember ever watching Voyager with him though. Never really thought about the aspect of watching TOS with my dad, and then being able to watch the newer series with my son, but you're right, it is a nice association to have with the show.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I enjoyed watching Enterprise and TNG with my son. I don't remember ever watching Voyager with him though. Never really thought about the aspect of watching TOS with my dad, and then being able to watch the newer series with my son, but you're right, it is a nice association to have with the show.
Yes, it's one of the few shows that is generational and family appropriate. (for the most part). I hope my kids have fond memories like I do with my dad.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink & white cookies (View Post)
Yes, it's one of the few shows that is generational and family appropriate. (for the most part). I hope my kids have fond memories like I do with my dad.

Yes, it is nice to find something that you can sit and watch as a family.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Master Fan

I get made fun of a lot, but I, I am a treky!!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanLovesKelly (View Post)
I am a treky!!
No need to hide it here.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:52 AM
New Fan

There was a marathon last year on tv which was the first time i ever saw it. I was hooked which i thought was odd because i hate things unless they have amazing graphics usually. But here i am, a total fan (even though i'm new to it). I just started viewing episodes of the other series (i had only seen the original) and i plan on collecting them soon as i only own the first series. I do love the shows.
TheSpockJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Welcome TheSpockJock. It's always nice to hear of people discovering and liking the franchise. Do you plan to buy the remastered versions of the Original Series?