Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

yes it was in the opening scene

It perfectly showed Michaels expectations for trust but her inability to trust others
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

agreed
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)

It also shows that Michael has sever trust issues which may come from her traumatic childhood and losing both of her parents. I think these trust issues are going to play a major role in the upcoming episodes.
Those are very good points. I hope this gets explored in more detail.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:36 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
I don't think Michael meant to betray the Captain and probably can't even see her actions as a betrayal since she firmly believes that she did it to save everyone.

It also shows that Michael has sever trust issues which may come from her traumatic childhood and losing both of her parents. I think these trust issues are going to play a major role in the upcoming episodes.
Agree with you on both points. Michael was determined that her course of action was right, and was willing to do whatever she needed to in order to accomplish that.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Just that its something that I believe her course of action was actually how Vulcan settled matters with Klingons So she thought she was doing right by what Sarek must have told her
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Michael was definitely doing what she thought was right, but she also should have respected the chain of command.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes agreed - think its why she's hell bent of being punished for it it seems
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

I watched the pilot on Netflix today. Wow those Klingons look different. It´s not that easy to get used to it. But man there was a lot of Klingon in the episode.
Anyway: It was an okay episode but not more. I keep watching maybe the second one is better.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Keep watching it does get better. I don't like those Klingon scenes either.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Master Fan

^
Sorry, I am a later comer, to this discussion, but I am amazed that you guys point out all the things that rubbed me the wrong way as well. It took me a while to gain some clarity. Personally, I don't mind the re-invention of the Klingons. However, it was risky. Let's be honest, the Klingons are a somewhat problematic topic. Basically, I am amazed that they even invented Warp drive and Space travel. All they care about is fight. This has always been a problem, since TNG. But back then they did a good job in making it believable. Now, re-inventing the Klingons is then super risky, imo. Cause the new interpretation might end up being worse. And that's how I felt during the 1st 9 episodes of 'Discovery', to be honest. Let's see how it develops from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
Michael was definitely doing what she thought was right, but she also should have respected the chain of command.
That's exactly how I felt. To start the show with a Mutineer. Wow, that was bold.... Imagine what Jean-Luc Picard would have said.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Little_Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Exactly. Making the lead female character a mutineer was a really bold move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRose (View Post)
there was a lot of Klingon in the episode.
I'm not a big fan of the Klingon language scenes either. It's probably meant to be a shout out to the fans who do take the time to learn Klingon, but it doesn't appeal to me. I think this episode had the most scenes in it.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

No no Chris I love the Klingon language and I so wanna learn it.
So I just made a statement about that there was a lot Klingon in it. Sorry for the misunderstanding about that.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

ah, thanks for the clarification.

The Klingon language scenes are a nice tribute to the dedicated fans. They just need to be careful as to how much they use them, because it could be annoying to others. For now, I think they've found a balance.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

It´s okay. As long as there is no overdose of Klingon on the show then I`m fine with it.
Reply   Post New Thread