Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No I was eating.

Quote:
Same. Amy's "crush" was awful.
Very awful. I want to erase all images of her jumping Eleven from my mind forever but I can't.

Quote:
True. Thats what I thought, but then I read someone talking about how he basically erased all of RTD's cracky SL's with the finale.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's just someone interpreting the finale... and maybe that was Moffat's intention but I think we can decide. I don't think he's that spiteful.... and if he did then the Doctor wouldn't remember River right? So the next time he sees her would be the first time? Or everything that happened in S5 wouldn't have happened either? You can't erase part of the past.

Quote:
See, RTD did do that a bit with Rose and 10.5, but theres a huge difference between Rose and Amy. Rose got her happily ever after because she fought for it, and it was just what she wanted. Amy magically getting her parents back just ignores all of her huge issues, that are never really dealt with since they wanted to keep her character personally vague for the twist in in the finale. How her life doesn't make sense because of the cracks, and that being why the character wasn't fleshed out.
Now, I kind of doubt Moffat is going to become a character writer in season six and flesh out Amy in intense detail, but by giving her parents back, he's erasing ninety five percent of her character traits from season five. She was closed off and unemotional and kind of bitchy, because she was alone her whole life. She was afraid of Rory and marrying him, because she never had a family before. Her belief in the Doctor only lasted her entire life, because she nothing else in it-- the crack ate everything else.

But Moffat just erased all that.....

IDK. I'm going with Amy has no memories of them, because at least then her character still makes sense. If she does remember them, then her personality would be completely different.

And this is why I hate Moffat's writing. He's great at some thing, but he always screws up or doesn't care about the character writing.
Yeah I don't think Amy's character will ever really be fleshed out though.... I think that's more Moffat than Moffat's storyline. Yes the twist explains why we didn't ever really know her but we don't really know anyone. I don't know Rory, I don't know River, and I don't know Amy. Maybe that's just me though.

Yeah... I honestly hadn't thought too much about her parents being back. She doesn't have to be closed off and bitchy anymore now though right? She's got Rory and The Doctor so having her parents back isn't really changing her is it? If she still doesn't "know" her parents even though they're back does it change anything other than they're not gone anymore? I don't see how it's erasing her character traits. Even if she does have "fake" memories she could still be closed off and bitchy. You could be surrounded by a ton of family and friends and be that way. She still doesn't have an attachment to them now that they're back right? I haven't seen the finale since it aired though so I can't remember her parents. IDK... I'm just watching Moffat's DW as entertainment. I don't really need to go further than that.

We need a new thread. Titles?

You're not my employee. You're my P A R T N E R.
How do I look? | Like a HERO
~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I think that's more Moffat than Moffat's storyline. Yes the twist explains why we didn't ever really know her but we don't really know anyone. I don't know Rory, I don't know River, and I don't know Amy. Maybe that's just me though.
I agree. The plot of the cracks may have given a reason as to why we don't know Amy that well after a season, but its Moffat. He doesn't flesh out characters. Its his writing style too.

Quote:
I honestly hadn't thought too much about her parents being back. She doesn't have to be closed off and bitchy anymore now though right? She's got Rory and The Doctor so having her parents back isn't really changing her is it? If she still doesn't "know" her parents even though they're back does it change anything other than they're not gone anymore? I don't see how it's erasing her character traits. She still doesn't have an attachment to them now that they're back right? IDK... I'm just watching Moffat's DW as entertainment. I don't really need to go further than that.
Well, I mean thats the problem with the SL. If Amy really does have a full lifetime of memories with her family now, she would be a completely different person. If she doesn't, which I'm going to assume she doesn't whether Moffat intends us to or not because its the only way her character makes any sense, then its kind of creepy. She has two parents waiting for her at home that she has no emotional attachment to AT ALL, and they have all of these memories of raising her.....its just a very wonky SL.

Quote:
I don't think he's that spiteful.... and if he did then the Doctor wouldn't remember River right? So the next time he sees her would be the first time? Or everything that happened in S5 wouldn't have happened either? You can't erase part of the past.
That makes sense. As much as Moffat seems like an ass, I don't think any writer would be that obviously spiteful.

Um......

Tooth and Claw quote?

Angela; tumblr;
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree. The plot of the cracks may have given a reason as to why we don't know Amy that well after a season, but its Moffat. He doesn't flesh out characters. Its his writing style too.
You're making me want to rewatch S5 but there are some episodes I don't care to see again like the Weeping Angels two parter and the one with Churchill/skittles Daleks. Is it on Netflix Instant Watch?

Quote:
Well, I mean thats the problem with the SL. If Amy really does have a full lifetime of memories with her family now, she would be a completely different person. If she doesn't, which I'm going to assume she doesn't whether Moffat intends us to or not because its the only way her character makes any sense, then its kind of creepy. She has two parents waiting for her at home that she has no emotional attachment to AT ALL, and they have all of these memories of raising her.....its just a very wonky SL.
I don't think she has those memories then. It is very wonky.... all timey wimey. I think we're just supposed to be happy that Amy's got her family back and she's married to Rory. No questioning. I can't remember much of the finale but does Rory remember being that Roman soldier/auton thing whatever he was?

Quote:

Tooth and Claw quote?
Which one though?

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
You're making me want to rewatch S5 but there are some episodes I don't care to see again like the Weeping Angels two parter and the one with Churchill/skittles Daleks. Is it on Netflix Instant Watch?
I would skip those. I would rewatch 11th Hour, Vampires in Venice, Amy's Choice, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger, and the last two.

I HATE THE WHALE EPISODE SFM. Ughhhh. Skittle Daleks was just boring. And I have no use for either of the two-parters.

Quote:
I can't remember much of the finale but does Rory remember being that Roman soldier/auton thing whatever he was?
Yeah, he remembers it when Amy brings the Doctor back. IDK. I'm just going with she has no fake memories of her family. Because that would be horribly weird writing.
Quote:
Which one though?
__

About how she's a timorous beastie?

Angela; tumblr;
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I would skip those. I would rewatch 11th Hour, Vampires in Venice, Amy's Choice, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger, and the last two.

I HATE THE WHALE EPISODE SFM. Ughhhh. Skittle Daleks was just boring. And I have no use for either of the two-parters.
I'll probably rewatch those... and the one two-parter scene where Rory dies. It's sad but Amy's reaction is gut-wrenching.

I hate the starwhale episode. Worst episode of the season for me. I just can't even....

Quote:
Yeah, he remembers it when Amy brings the Doctor back. IDK. I'm just going with she has no fake memories of her family. Because that would be horribly weird writing.
Oh... that's what I thought. And I'm going to go with that as well.

What about...
Because she's a feral child, bought her for sixpence in old London Town. It was her or the Elephant Man, so...

I don't know.

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Elite Fan

I like it!

Quote:
and the one two-parter scene where Rory dies. It's sad but Amy's reaction is gut-wrenching.
I need to see that scene actually.

Quote:
I hate the starwhale episode. Worst episode of the season for me. I just can't even....
Its so cheesy, it makes me gag. And honestly, the 11/Amy scene would have been super cute....if it wasn't the second episode of the season and incredibly contrived.
I mean, really. I adore that the Gotcha is brought back, and I love their friendship, but its a ridiculous plot.
Um...the whale is still eating the children!!! AND NO ONE MENTIONS THIS.

Angela; tumblr;
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay... if it'll fit I'll use it. Starting the thread.

You haven't seen it? Watch it.

Quote:
Its so cheesy, it makes me gag. And honestly, the 11/Amy scene would have been super cute....if it wasn't the second episode of the season and incredibly contrived.
I mean, really. I adore that the Gotcha is brought back, and I love their friendship, but its a ridiculous plot.
Um...the whale is still eating the children!!! AND NO ONE MENTIONS THIS.
Yes thank you! I like the 11/Amy scene looking back and watching it after all is said and done but it was the second episode. I just don't get how she could know him well enough.

Well they want to stay alive so I guess it's okay for it to eat the children.

~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Closed Thread   Post New Thread