Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iram (View Post)
Nobody is. Was too Perfect.
It was.
I'm so happy with how they dealt with them so far. I don't always agree with the adaptation choices, but they've put so much care in the Jaime/Brienne storyline. Even though we didn't get some of the iconic lines from the books, they compensated with some beautiful added moments, such as that amazing goodbye scene (and the fact that it was written directly by GRRM, even though the bear pit scene was't, makes me enjoy it even more).
And I have the strong impression that they are pushing the romance angle in the show, which makes me hopeful for the outcome of the books. I know we won't probably get an happy ending, the setting makes it so hard to happen, but I'm confident that we'll get more beautiful interaction between these two and probably some kind of acknowledgement of their mutual feelings in future books.

And speaking of the books, I was rereading a passage of A clash of kings today and I found a parallel I didn't remember.

Quote:

Catelyn glanced across the camp. Two men were walking sentry, spears in hand. “I was taught that good men must fight evil in this world, and Renly’s death was evil beyond all doubt. Yet I was also taught that the gods make kings, not the swords of men. If Stannis is our rightful king—”
[Brienne:] “He’s not. Robert was never the rightful king either, even Renly said as much. Jaime Lannister murdered the rightful king, after Robert killed his lawful heir on the Trident. Where were the gods then? The gods don’t care about men, no more than kings care about peasants.”

[…]

“Why should I tell you anything?”
“To save your life.”
“You think I fear death?” That seemed to amuse him.
“You should. Your crimes will have earned you a place of torment in the deepest of the seven hells, if the gods are just.”
“What gods are those, Lady Catelyn? The trees your husband prayed to? How well did they serve him when my sister took his head off?” Jaime gave a chuckle. “If there are gods, why is the world so full of pain and injustice?”
I love that so early on, when they hadn't even met yet and they seemed as different as night and day, they basically the same conversation, and with the same character (one that will play such a big role in both their futures). Brienne may be innocent, but she knows how the world works. When you get access to her thoughts, you realize she is almost as disenchanted as Jaime. And yet she chooses to stay true to her ideals, because that’s who she is, that’s who she grew up to be, and she won’t compromise with the world just because it’s telling her that her behaviour is naive and stupid. Brienne is not staying true to the warped concepts of honor that are widely accepted in Westeros, like the men of Aerys’ kingsguard were. She is staying true to what SHE believes is right. Because she experienced the world from a disadvantaged point and she had to learn very early, and the hard way, that a well respected knight can be as cruel under the surface as anyone else. That’s why she could sympatize with Jaime about his kingslaying when no one else in the world could. Yeah, knowing him helped her smooth some of her angles, but she was already there. She was no Barristan Selmy.
And Jaime is getting there as well. He once believed in honor, and then he became a cynic and completely rejected the notion, but Brienne finally inspired him to believe that, somewhere in between, there might be another way.
These two are truly mirror images of each other. One of the most carefully and beautifully constructed relationships in this series.

(dollsome-does-tumblr.tumblr.com/post/50684161683/jaime-im-strong-enough-brienne-not-interested)

Tumblr

Icon: Saejima
Closed Thread   Post New Thread