Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2021, 03:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyesxx (View Post)
That would have worked better, but I think the writers didn't want anyone to be the bad guy in that situation, & it would have really broken Joey's heart. I think they wanted to try & convince the audience that Joey didn't really love Rachel too, so that there would be no problems with the Ross/Rachel reunion, but I didn't buy that for a second

Joey really was so good to Rachel throughout her pregnancy, he really would give his all to Rachel & his child to make sure they are happy & healthy
I understand your point. While it would have worked better and made sense, it would also break my heart worse too. Also, I didn't think they tried to convince that JR didn't love each other. They tried to convince that they were "friends" before "a couple" and it comes first even unconciously. Because even in the spinoff "Joey", he says he loved only one woman in his life, who we know was Rachel Nothing made RR reunion great imo, Ross was Ross all over again
Old 08-25-2021, 03:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

That's true, there was some inconsistency there, because in the breakup scene he says "I was so sure that this is what I wanted", so it did feel like in that moment, they were trying to make it seem like he didn't feel about her the way that he thought he did. Nothing else in their journey supported that though
Old 08-26-2021, 04:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
That's true, there was some inconsistency there, because in the breakup scene he says "I was so sure that this is what I wanted", so it did feel like in that moment, they were trying to make it seem like he didn't feel about her the way that he thought he did. Nothing else in their journey supported that though
I see your point

Anyways In my headcanon RR broke up again, because come on and R went to Paris this time. After a while, first J went to Paris for a movie premiere, ofc they went to the gala together Then on his way of return he couldn't, he knocked the door again while she was also opening the door. And they laughed and kissed and they continued their loveeeeeeeeeee this time mini fanfic for you
Old 08-26-2021, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Yeah, there's no way that I can see RR lasting, & then it would just be a matter of time until Rachel & Joey reunited
Old 09-03-2021, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, there's no way that I can see RR lasting, & then it would just be a matter of time until Rachel & Joey reunited
I was rewatching and it seemed to me that Joey and Rachel had more scenes than RR actually. What do you think?
Old 09-03-2021, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Maybe in some of the later seasons, but not overall.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessismore (View Post)
I was rewatching and it seemed to me that Joey and Rachel had more scenes than RR actually. What do you think?
I don't know if they had more scenes, but they definitely made more sense.

Those later seasons where R/R are basically forced back together through her pregnancy just IRRITATE me. They mess up her living situation with Joey and Ross' perfectly nice relationship with Mona to force R/R back into the picture. I got so tired of it.

And don't get me started on how season 9 works to build towards Rachel's growing feelings for him but then season 10 just puts a stop to it in ONE episode. Right after Joey got Ross' acceptance of him and Rachel being together. What a JOKE.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-03-2021, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Yeah, it always felt so jolting when they'd switch things up like that, because RR is just so obviously not where the story was naturally heading, & yet they kept forcing it
Old 09-03-2021, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I always remember that Marta Kaufman quote in the documentary about the filming of season 10: "Can you imagine if we hadn't gotten Ross and Rachel back together? The fans would've come after us with torches."

Says it all about the power of emotional blackmail upon show writers when they feel they have to satisfy certain people.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I'll never get the attitude that 'because that was what was hinted at at the beginning has to be how it ends'
Old 09-05-2021, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Yep, and it's especially funny when you think that Ross and Rachel wasn't even the original plan. It was actually Joey and Monica who were written together in the Pilot. It all changed upon re-writes.

Joey and Rachel were more meaningful in the long run because we saw an actual build-up of them transitioning from friends, to roommates, to more - over a long period of time. Ross and Rachel was some unrequited high school crush that was rushed into the show in season 2.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-05-2021, 05:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

& RR got their chance & it didn't work out, if they were really that in love with each other the whole time... why didn't they get back together a lot sooner? Why did they have serious relationships with other people? Why did they seem completely over each other 99% of the time & that other 1% being in a season finale for a cliffhanger?

Joey & Rachel's story was so much better & more natural, getting to see them grow closer & closer as friends & then eventually fall in love was magical
Old 09-05-2021, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

It always felt to me that Ross and Rachel were always teased as a will they/won't they thing after season 3 just for the sake of creating drama in their other relationships. They destroyed him and Julie, him and Emily, him and Mona, him and Bonnie, her and Mark, her and Joey, her and Gavin -- and for WHAT? Like you said, they never got back together until the very end. Even the pregnancy was just a one-night stand that had nothing to do with their love for each other and they were written as just friends in season 9.

They gave up on Joey and Rachel in the most offensive way imaginable. Their break up in episode 3 of season 10 literally ignores the previous episode, the way Ross gives his blessing and how Joey and Rachel did NOT struggle with being intimate... Episode 3 spits in its face and pretends that they are unable to be anything more than platonic. LIES.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-05-2021, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

The breakup was awful, I find it much more plausible that even though Ross gave his blessing, his whole freakout beforehand got into their heads & was what was making it difficult for them to be initmate with each other - but I don't think the writers wanted Ross to be the bad guy

& I agree about the pointless drama, it never went anywhere with RR. They had so many chances to get together & they never took them... that should tell you everything you need to know
Old 09-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I agree with that I didn't like how the specific reason for their break-up changed from being about not wanting to hurt Ross, to 'we can be intimate with everyone except each other.' It was dishonest writing.

The RR thing annoyed me the most in season 4. Rachel and Joshua had a nice relationship and it was fun watching Rachel go to great lengths in order to seduce him. Then suddenly, after various episodes of Rachel being obsessed with him... She's suddenly obsessed with Ross again just because he gets engaged to Emily? It's petty and total regression.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Closed Thread   Post New Thread