Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Extreme Fan

They really cancelled it? Well, it's seemed to be semi-professional organized and the tickets were really expensive. I guess they should have seen it coming. QaF deserved something better.

Icon by Carmen
Who says love is an easy ride - General Motors?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not even sure if it really was professional, since some things seemed a bit weird and not what I'm used from conventions. But yeah, I'm normally pretty much against those in general - after some pretty bad experiences.

The problem is that QaF isn't well-known here in Germany, and people from all over Europe hardly knew about this. The next problem was that there were no Gale or Randy in sight, which was a really big factor. If one of them would have been announced as a guest, tickets would have sold so much better.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Elite Fan

I agree. It wasn't organized by any "usual" convention organizers ergo people hardly knew about it. Plus doing it in Germany wasn't the best idea either. And like you said Kate, they just didn't have any "star" guest for people to become actually interested in attending. With either Gale or Randy I think the sells would sky rocket. Obviously I doubt they'd be interested in coming in first place...

I've never had a bad experience when it comes to conventions *knocks on wood* Hopefully the one I'll be doing by in February won't change my opinion on this

I've heard there's gonna be an L Word convention in London, this year. Anyone planning on going? I'm not sure who do they have as guests. I wouldn't mind having an autograph from either Kate or Leisha or Jennifer. Or Laurel to my AtS collection
Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Imzadi

The fact that less than 200 tickets were sold shows that something was wrong with the advertising and organisation in general. Even the organisers of the convention admitted that e.g. in England more than 3000 people attend a similar con twice a year.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
in England more than 3000 people attend a similar con twice a year.
Similar as in QaF/L Word? Because I doubt it'd be true. These aren't huge fandoms to begin with. The huge BtVS/AtS conv I did in London probably had around 1k people. And Breakout last year had maybe 200-300 people attending. And these were professionally organized. Fan conventions in Europe can't compare to comic cons and similar. They're always smaller which is seriously a good thing.
Anyway I think they just didn't have the "hit" selling guest. They should've get one huge guest and concentrate around it... Although something tells me they just couldn't get one. If they're not professional organizers, unknown to the guests familiar with fan convs, I can see them just simply refusing to participate.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Imzadi

Quote:
Similar as in QaF/L Word?
That´s what they say. I have no idea if it´s true though. Here is the link to the English announcement on their website:
http://www.queercon.de/main.php?id=559

The problem is that a huge guest for QaF could only be Gale or Randy, imo. Since neither of them would attend a convention here the whole thing was destined to fail from the beginning.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Elite Fan

Oh but we could've told them it was doomed ages ago... In fact didn't we actually repeat it here several times? It was obvious that they needed either Gale or Randy and it was obvious they wouldn't come. Such a waste of time getting hopes up of the more naive fans...
Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Elite Fan

I was watching his live on Comedy Central the other day and he just cracks me up. Stuff he sings is soooo wrong but whatever, gotta love the guy

Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Extreme Fan

I have no idea what he's on but it must be pretty good stuff. He could sing about flying squirrels commiting suicide I'd still think he's kinda cute.

Icon by Carmen
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Elite Fan

It's Stephen Lynch. He's pretty controversial with his stuff but I absolutely adore him. He just cracks me up!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Elite Fan

Ok I just got a green light to post about it in here

So as I already mentioned in my report during Chosen convention I met this guy who is a co-creator of an Association that organizes fan conventions here in France. And he mentioned in private planning a QaF convention. And seems like things might actually work out nicely because he just told me that it's gonna happen, pre set date of the moment is November with registrations available around April. As soon as they have their guests list (did I mention he actually might have a chance at getting Gale? Heh ) and other stuff, I'll post the contact details
Old 02-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

omg that's awesome
“ We don't know who we are until we're connected to someone else. We're just better human beings when we're with the person we're supposed to be with. I wasn't supposed to leave. I belong here." Quote byTara from Sons of Anarchy 3x01
Icon by Zonikita
Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

Let's not get our hopes up, in case it fails but I've talked to him about that German convention and he had some pretty good arguments on why that one didn't work out and what is different about this situation.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Extreme Fan

That's great news It sounds way better than the German Con. Wouldn't it be nice if they'd really get Gale? Alone the chance of having him there is awesome . Well, let's see if it's going to happen. It would be great. I've never been to France before. What a lovely reason for a visit.

Icon by Carmen
Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

it would be great though if it did happen
“ We don't know who we are until we're connected to someone else. We're just better human beings when we're with the person we're supposed to be with. I wasn't supposed to leave. I belong here." Quote byTara from Sons of Anarchy 3x01
Icon by Zonikita
Closed Thread   Post New Thread