Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Yea, that's a lot of money. Visiting WWOHP would already be expensive enough, so hopefully when I have money to do that, I'll have money to buy a lot of stuff.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Moderator Manager

Credit

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Cute art! I think all of them are Viria's arts.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Addicted Fan

I love the arts!

Someone typed out and posted the story that inspired this title.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Aww thanks for that. I've seen some other versions of the prequel typed out, thank God. It's kinda hard to read Jo's handwriting sometimes.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Addicted Fan

You're welcome! I couldn't read Jo's handwriting.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Me neither. I bet her editor is happy for the invention of computer.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Moderator Manager

Yes, all Viria's arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofYouth (View Post)
Someone typed out and posted the story that inspired this title.
Thanks for posting. I want more!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Me too. JKR gave us an awesome tease, I don't understand why she doesn't want to write a whole book about them.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

that would be amazing

This title though
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Moderator Manager

Me too. It would've been wonderful if she did but she's closed her chapter of HP (for now, haha).

It's Catia's clever idea to use the title, Mel. I love it.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

she's never finished.

of course it is.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Perhaps no students (even including Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger and Tom Riddle) have ever explored the castle and grounds of Hogwarts as thoroughly and illicitly as the four creators and contributors to the Marauder's Map: James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew.

James, Sirius and Peter were not initially impelled to explore the school grounds by night out of devilment alone (though that played its part), but by their desire to help their dear friend Remus Lupin to bear his lycanthropy. Prior to the invention of the Wolfsbane Potion, Lupin was compelled to undergo an excruciating transformation every full moon. Once his condition was discovered by his three best friends, they sought a way to render his transformations less solitary and painful, which led to them learning to become (unregistered) Animagi, so that they could keep him company without harm to themselves. The ability of Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew and James Potter to become, respectively, a dog, a rat and a stag, enabled them to explore the castle grounds by night undetected. The interior of the castle, meanwhile, was mapped over time with the help of James Potter's Invisibility Cloak.

The Marauder's Map is lasting testimony to the advanced magical ability of the four friends who included Harry Potter's father, godfather and favourite teacher. The map they created during their time at Hogwarts appears to be a blank piece of parchment unless activated by the phrase: I solemnly swear that I am up to no good, a phrase that, in the case of three of the four makers, should be understood as a joke. The 'no good' of which they wrote never denoted Dark magic, but school rule-breaking; similar bravado is evinced by their use of their own nicknames on the map ('Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs').

The magic used in the map's creation is advanced and impressive; it includes the Homonculous Charm, enabling the possessor of the map to track the movements of every person in the castle, and it was also enchanted to forever repel (as insultingly as possible) the curiosity of their nemesis, Severus Snape.

Although the precise circumstances surrounding the makers' loss of their map are not given in the Harry Potter novels, it is easy to conclude that they eventually over-reached themselves and were cornered by Argus Filch, probably on a tip-off from Snape, whose obsession it had become to expose his arch-rival, James Potter, in wrongdoing. The masterpiece of a map was confiscated in Sirius, James, Remus and Peter's final year and none of them were able to steal it back from a well-prepared and suspicious Filch. In any case, their priorities changed in their final months at school, becoming far more serious and focused on the world beyond Hogwarts, where Lord Voldemort was successfully rising to power. All four of the map's creators would shortly be inducted into the renegade organisation headed by Albus Dumbledore, the Order of the Phoenix, and a map of their old school - no matter how ingenious - would no longer be of use to them except as a piece of nostalgia.

The Marauder's Map was, however, of immense use to the young Weasley twins. The story of Fred and George's acquisition of the map is told in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was a mark of their high esteem for Harry Potter, and their belief that he stood in need of assistance with a destiny none of them yet fully understood, that they later gifted the map to him, unwittingly passing it on to the child of one of the creators.

The map was subsequently confiscated from Harry Potter by a Death Eater in disguise at the school, who recognised it as a likely source of his own discovery.
JK Rowling (Pottermore)
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for posting. Love that tidbit about the Marauders Map on Pottermore. Liked this bit:

Quote:
Although the precise circumstances surrounding the makers' loss of their map are not given in the Harry Potter novels, it is easy to conclude that they eventually over-reached themselves and were cornered by Argus Filch, probably on a tip-off from Snape, whose obsession it had become to expose his arch-rival, James Potter, in wrongdoing. The masterpiece of a map was confiscated in Sirius, James, Remus and Peter's final year and none of them were able to steal it back from a well-prepared and suspicious Filch. In any case, their priorities changed in their final months at school, becoming far more serious and focused on the world beyond Hogwarts, where Lord Voldemort was successfully rising to power. All four of the map's creators would shortly be inducted into the renegade organisation headed by Albus Dumbledore, the Order of the Phoenix, and a map of their old school - no matter how ingenious - would no longer be of use to them except as a piece of nostalgia.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

Glad you like the title.

Thanks for posting that.

I love that bit too! I think it's funny that JKR says that what happened wasn't in the novel, but you know, she still knows what happened better than anyone, so she could just told us.

Quote:
The Marauder's Map is lasting testimony to the advanced magical ability of the four friends who included Harry Potter's father, godfather and favourite teacher.
Three very important people to Harry.