Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Moderator Manager

We finally have our Harry, Ron & Hermione!

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Elite Fan

Which is which?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Bottom is Ron, middle is Hermione and top is Harry.

I like the idea that they've made Hermione a person of colour. Maybe now the complainers can give it a rest suggesting Jo was racist when she wrote the books. Art can be interpreted in many ways and this is clearly the playwright choice and right. Good for them!

Jo's response to the criticism is pure gold.

Last edited by baileycat; 12-21-2015 at 05:19 AM
Old 12-21-2015, 05:35 AM
Elite Fan

If she can play Hermione and did well enough at the audition it really shouldn't matter.

But it's good that JK supports the choice.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Master Fan

So happy they did that with Hermione.

Once the play comes out, could we start a thread for Noma Dumezweni.

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 12-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

All that matters is how the actors portray the characters, the rest doesn't matter and I don't mind it at all.

However, I do find this decision a bit strange now that we have 8 movies and even book covers where Hermione is portrayed as white. Sure, it is true that Rowling never specified her color of skin in the books, but the same thing can be said for most of the characters in the books actually. She never once objected to the book covers showing white Hermione and she did once draw her white herself.

I love that Rowling supports the decision but saying the skin was never specified is not a very strong argument. It was in a way. with all those movies, merchandise and book covers.

Please do not get this the wrong way, I am not being racist at all - I would think this decision just as strange if the decision was reversed. If this was like that from the beginning, it would make more sense. But now after so many years, it is a bit strange.

Last edited by zeze88; 12-21-2015 at 12:48 PM
Old 12-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Elite Fan

I'm sure eventually a new cast will take over depending how many times the play is performed. But until then we have our trio.

Not that any of us here will be able to actually see it live. So it really doesn't matter.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by baelfire24 (View Post)
Once the play comes out, could we start a thread for Noma Dumezweni.
Sure. We'll definitely have to give the others a thread too when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze88 (View Post)
However, I do find this decision a bit strange now that we have 8 movies and even book covers where Hermione is portrayed as white. Sure, it is true that Rowling never specified her color of skin in the books, but the same thing can be said for most of the characters in the books actually. She never once objected to the book covers showing white Hermione and she did once draw her white herself.

I love that Rowling supports the decision but saying the skin was never specified is not a very strong argument. It was in a way. with all those movies, merchandise and book covers.

Please do not get this the wrong way, I am not being racist at all - I would think this decision just as strange if the decision was reversed. If this was like that from the beginning, it would make more sense. But now after so many years, it is a bit strange.
Hopefully this tweet answers some of your doubts: https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/statu...82391630036993

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
I'm sure eventually a new cast will take over depending how many times the play is performed. But until then we have our trio.

Not that any of us here will be able to actually see it live. So it really doesn't matter.
There's such things as bootlegs which allow those who can't see the play live to view it. Not that I've ever done that!

Even if the films has a white girl playing Hermione that's not a valid argument against the casting of a black woman. Art has no limits. And challenging narrow minded opinions is what true art does best. You don't have to like it but it's completely in their rights to make it. It just upsets me that their are so many so called Potterheads that never truly understood the books message of tolerance if their reacting so negative to this decision.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
There's such things as bootlegs which allow those who can't see the play live to view it. Not that I've ever done that!

Even if the films has a white girl playing Hermione that's not a valid argument against the casting of a black woman. Art has no limits. And challenging narrow minded opinions is what true art does best. You don't have to like it but it's completely in their rights to make it. It just upsets me that their are so many so called Potterheads that never truly understood the books message of tolerance if their reacting so negative to this decision.
It is sad but not at all surprising - I remember how everyone went crazy when Rue in Hunger Games was potrayed as black. She was the right choice as she was brilliant, I'm sure Noma will be the same, didn't she won awards and great reviews for her previous play? I wont be able to see the play, I hope for a bootleg but I would be even happy if someone just describes the plot in great detail
Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Elite Fan

Moneypenny is played by a black actress in the new James Bond movie.

I'm pretty sure Ian Fleming originally intended for the character to be white when he wrote the books. But nobody cares. Because Naomi Harris is great in the role.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Theatre has always been the best format for allowing people of different races to play characters originally meant for a certain type. Because ultimately if the story's message doesn't revolve exclusively around race then it shouldn't matter who's playing the parts. Let's not forget, Shakespeare wrote female parts with the intention of only men playing them. We've come so far and we deserve to see what diversity can achieve, especially when the play has so many positive messages to learn from.

News! Teenagers wanted for casting call
Quote:
Late last night, SnitchSeeker confirmed a Facebook blurb they found a month ago, advertising an open casting call for teenagers for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. The call out was for teen girls to audition for the roles of Lily Potter and Rose Weasley.

The Facebook blurb, and the site hosting the application process, have since been removed from the internet. However, one of SnitchSeeker’s readers was able to submit her application–CV and headshot–for the role, and was able to relate back to the Harry Potter news site that the auditions are indeed for the roles of Rose and Lily.

Interestingly enough, we now know that Cursed Child does not immediately pick up where Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows left off. The last time we saw the Trio, Harry was waving good bye to an 11-year-old Albus Severus, justing leaving for his first year at Hogwarts along with his 11-year-old cousin, Rose Weasley. Lily was even younger.

This begs the question, how many years after Deathly Hallows is Cursed Child? What year in the future is the story set (as it has yet to be 19 years later in real life)? If Lily is a teenager, there is a good chance Hugo is too. Is James Sirius Potter old enough to have graduate Hogwarts? (James was in his third year at Hogwarts when his younger brother started his first.)

Earlier yesterday morning, Hypable began posing questions that fans should be asking themselves about the play. With this new casting discovery, light has been shed on the validity of the questions they posed. Years down the road, are Ron and Hermione still married? Is it possible that their marriage–deemed rocky, and “probably” able to succeed with marriage counseling by J.K. Rowling–has ended in divorce? Or do they fight to save it because of their love for one another? Either way, taking a look into their adult relationship will be interesting, and probably make for good (possibly humorous) drama.

Hypable also asked “What if your favorite characters are dead?” If this play takes place several years after Deathly Hallows, it maybe likely that the older characters within the Harry Potter series have passed away. We left Mr. and Mrs. Weasley in their late middle ages, but now they are the elderly grandparents of teenagers and young adults. There are certainly characters that were older than Mr. and Mrs. Weasley that may have passed away–to save tears, we won’t name names.

Who is the focus of the play? The adult trio, or this new group of teenagers? The casting of the Trio was big news–and, no, not just because of Hermione. All the actors chosen are highly qualified, award-winning actors, as reported and confirmed by Pottermore. That is a lot of attention to bring to the adult Trio…so where does that leave their children? Is not Albus Severus the “cursed child?” The play is titled after Harry’s son, yet a lot of focus has been put upon Harry, himself and his two best friends.

Needless to say, we will not know the answer to this question until the casting of the Potter and Weasley children are revealed. However, with open casting calls, it is more than probable that the actors playing these teenagers may not carry the same notoriety as the actors playing their parents.
Leaky.com

So a teenage Lily Luna means we get to see which houses all the Potter (and Weasley) kids are sorted into not just Al!

Last edited by baileycat; 12-24-2015 at 06:05 AM
Old 12-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

Interesting read, thought the play will follow right after the epilogue. I guess I was wrong.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think we were all led to believe that. Now we'll get to see Harry and Ron as fathers to teenagers! Should be interesting
Old 12-25-2015, 03:42 AM
Elite Fan

And Harry said he'd had enough trouble for a lifetime.

Last edited by scififan2009; 12-25-2015 at 04:09 AM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top