Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Extreme Fan

The movie was soo differnet from the book.

I liked it dont get me wrong but it wasnt the best.

They took out the big battle at the end, harry kissing ginny, not ginny kissing harry. Then harry having the talk with Ginny about breaking up at the end.
Married September 29,2012
Nathan Simon born October 31st, 2014
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I don't know how they'll handle that in DH. I'm hopin they don't add a bunch of HG to make up for what wasn't in HBP. I want DH to stick really close to the books. I mean, it's the last set of films. They really need to stick with the books IMO.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Loyal Fan

I really liked this movie, everyone seemed much more in character, I havent seen the actors so similiar to their characters since the first movie. I need to see it again
"It was not as though he was really surprised, thought Harry, as he wrestled with a thorny vine intent upon throttling him; he had an inkling that THIS might happen sooner or later."-HBP- so did we Harry!

Avi by livin4foxy
Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiBye23 (View Post)
Things I loved...

1. The acting. I think everyone did really well. The trio have grown so much.

2. Tom as Malfoy was amazing. The bathroom scene was okay to me, but the scene on the tower is what really got to me. "I have to do this." GAH. Amazing.

3. Luna She's still a bright spot for me. Just lovely.

Agreed, with these three especially. The acting was well done from all sides.

Dan and Rupert were great in alot of their comedy scenes. I found myself laughing so hard during the FF scenes and the love potion scenes.

Agreed about Tom. I was blown away by the scene with Dumbledore, I teared up.

I actually thought the film was quite good for being 2 and a half hours long. I am sad that alot of things weren't able to get described more throughly such as more of Tom riddle history. I know they picked the main ones, but I believe all the memories were somewhat significant.

Formerly TvWeirdo07 -Vette-
Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3SMaps (View Post)
I need to see it again
Thats the benefits of working at a movie theater. I can see it as many times as I want and I wont have to pay a dime.
Married September 29,2012
Nathan Simon born October 31st, 2014
Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Elite Fan

^ Lucky.

Formerly TvWeirdo07 -Vette-
Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Absolute Fan

Record-Breaking 'Half-Blood Prince' Sales

I didn't like the movie that much.. I would've love to see more action, but there wasn't... not much Snape as well..
and it's so far from the books.. there's no consistency in the story whatsoever...

But I did like the comedy.. Dan was brilliant! Tom as well..
Lavender was hilarious! I love her!

I'll post my whole review later on

Last edited by ahbei; 07-15-2009 at 09:08 PM
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Master Fan

Ok when both Ron was under the love potion and Harry was under the luck potion, they just came off as stoned to me but funny. Now my question to others who have seen the movie, who did it better.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Master Fan

I saw it today...I'm not sure what I think yet.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Elite Fan

I know the feeling. When I first saw it I was so overwhelmed. Between being excited that the film is finally out, going to see it at my first time going to a midnight showing and me being a Ginny/Bonnie fan just seeing her with more screentime and lines. I couldn't think straight and have the film sink in.

Watching it a second time I was able to watch it with a clear and head and I really enjoyed it.
“I’ve lived on borrowed time. More than any man deserves. I’ve seen wonders beyond my wildest imaginings. Through these centuries, against the impossibility that we’d find each other, we did. And I am most grateful for it."
Ichabod ♥ Abbie
Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Addicted Fan

Okay here are my thoughts on the movie:

As with the release of every new HP film, I walk away from it thinking it's the best one yet. And this time around was no exception. I think it's a good thing that, imo anyway, the movies keep getting better and better. I think HBP works as a brilliant set up for DH. I also felt that it followed the plot much better than in the last few movies. Yes, there were some things the filmakers had to cut/scenes they decided to add.. but for the most part they stayed on track with the book, in such a way that I feel it may be the first time in a long while that a nonbook reader won't be confused throughout the entire film. Obviously this is coming from me, who has read the books several times, so I can't be sure, but for once I felt like they were cutting/keeping in the right things in order to please both the readers and nonreaders. Get what I mean? I don't know.. maybe I'll have to see it again, to be able to make this argument, but that was my first impression anyway.

Anyway, here are some of the elements I particularly liked about the film:
*The acting! It has been amazing to watch the trio improve over the years and I was truly in awe of all their performances this time around. Dan did a wonderful job balancing the drama and the comedy. (Harry in the FF scene was I loved it when he said "hey!" really loudly to the people as he walked out of the common room). Rupert was brilliant as well. As always he handled the comedy amazingly. And I was pleased with the material he'd been given and the fact that I didn't have to see him being portrayed as the "scared one". Emma, I think, took the biggest step up from her previous performances. I'm happy to say that Hermione's eyebrows were in control. In all honesty, I have adored her since the beginning, but this was a chance to see a whole new Hermione- one that is much more vulnerable as she deals with being 'in-love' and hearbroken over Ron. I think she played the part perfectly. Aside from the trio, I was loving Tom's acting! He finally had some actual screen time and he was simply awesome- he was able to convey Draco's guarded exterior and his vulnerable interior very well.

*Dumbledore- though I didn't understand why DD was still not wearing his half-moon specs I was very happy with the Dumbledore we got in this film. He seemed much more in character than in the past. And the part in the cave with the fire! I was seriously like: Albus Dumbledore is one BAMF! I would have loved to see a funeral scene, but I am fine with the wand raising tribute. It worked well in the movie.

*Slughorn- Jim Broadbent was perfect for this part!

*The memories- when I first heard that only two memories would be kept in the film, I was skeptical, but after seeing it I understand why they kept in the ones they did and I was happy with the way these were handled in the film. Both the actors for Tom Riddle were really good, btw.

*The Romance- Oh boy, where do I begin? My Sidekick heart was beyond thrilled with this film. The Ron/Hermione/Lavender/Cormac storyline was done so well. You could really see how much Hermione was hurt by the Ron/Lavender relationship and how much Ron still wanted Hermione. My favorite Sidekick moment would have to be the hospital scene. It was so cute to see how happy she was when she was holding his hand. Also, I thought Hermione being repulsed by Cormac (hottie alert btw) was really funny. As for Harry and Ginny, I thought they were also very well done. It was nice to see Harry's growing feelings for her and to watch the two of them become more obvious in their attraction to one another. I loved the almost kiss before the burrow attack. The only thing I was underwhelmed by was the actual kiss we got. It was very short. The one I imagined was more passionate.

*The Bromance- I loved the portrayal of Harry/Ron's friendship in this film. The part when they are both in bed talking about Ginny was HILARIOUS. And Ron saying Hermione has nice skin too.

*The Half-Blood Prince- I thought everything from Harry picking the book out of the cupboard ( at Harry/Ron fighting over the nice copy) to Snape telling Harry he was the Half-Blood Prince was really good. I was glad they put emphasis on the issue of trusting Snape because Dumbledore does. It made the scene in which Snape kills Dumbledore that much more shocking.

Some things I wasn't too hot for :
*The waitress scene at the beginning- WTF? is all I have to say on that.
*The burrow attack- I was really excited for this, but it seemed kind of awkward in the film. Although it broke my heart to see Mrs. Weasley that upset.
*The way the H/G kiss was changed- as I mentioned above I was hoping for more. In fact, there didn't seem to be much in the way of H/G after this moment. They focused so much on the build up (which I did like), but left no time to actually show that they became a couple. And Harry was supposed to kiss her btw.. not the other way around.
*The end scene- I was like "Where is Ron?" for half the scene and then they finally cut to him. I really wished he had been standing there with them. Would it have killed anybody to have him say the "We're with you, whatever happens" line. No, I don't think so.
"There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione’s arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet."
~Ron♥Hermione~
Avi by Fidelian

Last edited by LooBitteTundiLoo; 07-15-2009 at 10:01 PM
Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Master Fan

I loved Harry when he was under the FF. Much funnier than I expected
Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Master Fan

I saw it! My thoughts. Let's get the bad out of the way first:
-I am sad they cut out some of the battle. I knew they would once they didn't show Harry giving Ron and Hermione the FF.
-I found it unrealistic Ginny could jump through fire. I am glad Mr.Weasley chased after her though. Although I had expected him to say "my family!" instead of Molly
-I don't think they developed HG and Lupin/Tonks that well at all. I saw it with 3 friends and 2 had read the books and even they didn't get or understand if HG were going out, etc. I wish they had Hermione's line with Ron being ok with HG earlier in the book. By the end of HBP since HG broke up there won't be much time until they do break up in DH and then Ron won't be so pleased with Harry weird timing issues. The one friend who didn't read the books didn't even think HG had dated in the movie and that is skewy too. They tried too hard to make it seem like Lupin/Tonks were dating and no one could get why or their issues except for Tonks saying it got worse for him at the end of the month. Nice seeing them for one scene too btw.
-It bothered me to NO END that Harry was free when DD was killed. Snape just walked by and said ssshh? That was really OOC for me. Snape would've cursed him or something. Plus the movie gave an impression that Harry could curse Draco or help alter the events which we all know isn't possible. I also wish we had seen Harry get upset after Hagrid's hut was torched. And where was Hagrid? I assumed he and Fang had not even seen the DE's coming.
-The apparating out of Hogwarts. Just wrong, breaks all the rules. Hermione would disapprove of DD
-No Ron for the last part of the movie it seemed.
But now the good which outweighs I think:
-My biggest pet peeve about the last scene was more to do with the Ron/HG mention. I do wish Ron had said something but I loved the scene anyway. Atleast we had gotten the Trio standing together at the end. Notice their postures seemed uneasy and unsure which panned out somewhat good for DH. But they stood united ..had Ron still been seperated from them..that would have been awkward
-The acting was well on all sides. For once Michael Gambon seemed to be DD for me. I don't know how he did it but he looked so tired just like DD did for the whole movie. His death was heartbreaking.
-Bromance moments FTW
-Jim B. owned as Slughorn
-All the shipping moments were nice. I thought it was an odd transition from the HG kiss to the next scene but I guess that is editing more than anything.
-Harry on FF and Ron on the love potion DID seem like they were high almost lmfao.
-Draco/Snape were perfect. I only had an issue with one Snape scene which I already mentioned. Tom did an awesome job. I wish we had seen Neville more.
-RIP Burrow but a great family scene.
-Greyback and the Inferi are enough to give anyone nightmares! Bellatrix was chilling as always
-Loved all the strong Trio/Harmony/etc. moments we got.
-Kudos to Riddle
-DD's death and everyone reaction was sad I cried a bit.
-Luna was really cute

I think the movie made some mistakes but overall I thought it was good. DH will hopefully clear up things.

Last edited by Bella Grint; 07-15-2009 at 10:36 PM
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I wish we had seen Neville more.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that! Where was he? I think I saw him in the background once.. did he even have a line?
"There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione’s arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet."
~Ron♥Hermione~
Avi by Fidelian
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Master Fan

he offered Harry some drinks or food. I would say his role kinda sucked for this movie when it came to lines. DH will hopefully make up for it..he told Harry he didn't make it into the Slug Club.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top