Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Loyal Fan

Morning all! Man, I've been so busy I think I only posted once or maybe twice on the last thread! But it was a wonderful thread...you guys were very upbeat and the song stuff was great, too. I love the Killers as well, I bought "Hot Fuss" and listen to it most every day, the songs are just infectious! Most of 'em make me feel like dancing around.

Anyway...LOVE the thread title! It's amazingly true! I mean, Rita picked up on the potential right away, didn't she? Red herring, my ass. H/Hr has had potential since Book 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circe
I always thought I'd be able to stand H/G over R/Hr...boy was I wrong! The thought of R/Hr doesn't annoy me at all now; probably becuase after HBP I do think Ron and Hermione deserve each other...(in the high school way, of course ) ). But I'll always have my problems with H/G. Luna would have been a much better choice. But as I am not JKR, what can I say about it?
I am so with you on this, Belle! I, too, have always loved Ron, even if I haven't always liked the way he treats Hermione. But he improved so much in HBP and you're right...the way he and Hermione acted in HBP made them seem like they do belong together for the time being. It's funny that we Aurors and indeed most all H/Hr shippers give too much credit, I think, to the maturity of the love between these teens. Obviously JKR feels that their attempts at relationships are based on hormones and crushes...and the irony is if she'd read some of the H/Hr theories and fanfics out there, she'd see where we got the idea of Harry and Hermione being soulmates, she'd see that she wrote a more mature love than she thought she did.

But anyway, back to Belle's post, I am astounded at the depth of my dislike for H/G, though. I absolutely can't stand the idea of Harry with Ginny. My reasons are many and since I don't want to be accused of character bashing...let's just say that Ginny's character has been poorly developed. IMO. I'm afraid I will never be on board with that. Wanna know the truth? I'd rather Harry die at the end then be with her. That's how much I am against that pairing. Wish I could see it the way some do but it's just wrong and it does nothing for Harry's character, in fact it cheapens it. I was appalled at almost everything related to H/G in HBP. It was most definitely the low point of HBP. Everything else I could take except that. I only hope that JKR will not resurrect it in Book 7. It happened, it's done, they've parted. Let's hope it's for good!

~Sharon
JasperAlice
Katniss and Peeta: EPIC love
Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergal2004
Wanna know the truth? I'd rather Harry die at the end then be with her. That's how much I am against that pairing.
Don't worry, Sharon, I feel the same way. I simply hate how everyone (meaning the characters) suddenly thinks Ginny is perfect when she is SO out of line several times in that book and noone calls her on it. She's the classic Mary Sue who does no wrong and I ask: who can relate to that girl? I certainly can't. Hermione isn't perfect. She never was. And that made her perfect for me. And that made me want her with Harry.
That's my dream for these characters."
- Kaley Cuoco
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Master Fan

Cat - If you're there, could you come on AIM?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Addicted Fan

New Thread! the title. I like Ron, I don't like him when he's being a git to Hermione. But other than that, his little wittiness appeals to me.
"They didn't agree on much. In fact they rarely agreed on anything. They fought all the time and they challenged each other everyday. But, despite their differences, they had one important thing in common.....they were crazy about each other."

Christian & Lyneatte
Old 09-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Jay
Master Fan

I'm still not on list. I noticed that some of the Auror websites that I have visited within the last year are closed now. I guess the latest HP book must be the blame for that. But anyways...I won't go into that and regardless of what happens...I'm a Auror fan.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Addicted Fan

Me too! Jay, pm Cat and tell her to add you.
"They didn't agree on much. In fact they rarely agreed on anything. They fought all the time and they challenged each other everyday. But, despite their differences, they had one important thing in common.....they were crazy about each other."

Christian & Lyneatte
Old 09-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlyn
I like Ron, I don't like him when he's being a git to Hermione. But other than that, his little wittiness appeals to me.
Me, too! I remember something in Book 1 that made me laugh out loud. When they were at the Devil's Snare and Hermione was freaking out...she remembered that it likes the dark and Harry said "Light a fire!" Hermione said "There's no wood!" Ron (says in Caplocks) "HAVE YOU GONE MAD? ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?" Then a few minutes later he says "lucky Harry doesn't lose his head in a crisis--there's no wood, honestly!" That was so funny!

You know, JKR could have written Ron a bit less of a jerk. The teasing and bickering he did with Hermione could have been more playful. Anytime he made her cry was just unnecessary. Maybe JKR was treated that way by a boy and she was drawing from her own experience. I don't know. But the funny thing is, the R/Hr shippers DID see it as playful and they liked it. Curious the way people see the same thing and come up with different interpretations. Guess that's what makes us human.

Nora, I agree about Ginny. It was just completely weird to me. That's another example of interpretation. Those who like Ginny see her in a completely different way than those who don't like her. Some see her as feisty and witty, compassionate and warm...others see her as arrogant, condesending, and very full of herself. JKR wanted her to be Harry's equal...well, personally I never saw Harry as arrogant, condesending and full of himself. He was angry in OotP, he's been sarcastic, stubborn, and done foolish things...but who can blame him? No other character has suffered near as much loss as he has nor have they been the target of the Most Evil Lord Voldemort. Harry has had justification. And yet he still manages to be full of compassion and innate goodness. He could just as well become evil. But he's not. Harry!

~Sharon
JasperAlice
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Addicted Fan

Well said. Sharon, I sent you a pm.

Christian & Lyneatte
Old 09-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Loyal Fan

I voted, Lyn! Never heard of the guy who has the most votes. Guess I don't watch the show he's on. No one beats Dan, though.

~Sharon
JasperAlice
Old 09-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks Sharon! Dude, almost everyone has never heard of him! It's between dan and tanc to getting a board.

Christian & Lyneatte
Old 09-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

*rocks ner new icon* They're so pretty together

Jay - I'm adding you now!

Nora - On my way - hope you're still on.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Addicted Fan

Very pretty!

Christian & Lyneatte
Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Passionate Fan

I was completely indifferent to Ginny for the first five books. I didn't hate her, but at the same time she wasn't that essential to the plot. Much like Bill- she was just THERE. Do I hate her now?

Honestly? No.

Although all my ranting posts may have stated otherwise, I have never once said that I hated Ginny. Completely flabbergasted when it came to her was more like it. Ginny is an enigma to me. Although JK said she has given Ginny time to grow on her own which is fine. She wasn't much different in OoTP than she was in HBP, other than the interest Harry took in her. What irks us is not the fact that Ginny dated Harry, it was the THREAT Ginny posted with Hermione.

Hermione in our eyes, was/is the perfect match for Harry. So when someone else comes along with Pretty looks, and great at Quidditch. It bothers us, because now we have the "Anit-Hermione". It bothers us because we don't have the power to slap Harry over the head and make him see what was infront of him all this time. JK, has in effect, turned Harry into that guy. To busy being attracted to the pretty girls around him to notice the beautiful girl that's been in his face this entire time. For once I'd like Harry to take a page from Ron's book. Or maybe he already has. Not noticing a girl until someone points it out to them that yes, they are indeed, pretty.

This isn't a slam against R/Hr shippers. Let's be honest. Harry didn't notice that Hermione was pretty until he saw her at the Yule ball either.

I often wonder if Harry had not heard Pansy call Ginny "really Pretty", would Harry taken the time to think about it? Also, if Harry showed a little more interest in Ginny towards the end of OoTP would the H/G pairing still come as a shock to us? Harry/Cho wasn't so surprising to us because it was DEVELOPED. Started in book three, built in book 4 and finally climaxed in book 5. But JK crammed the H/G relationship in a single book. Thus it was given no time to develop, no time to stomach, no time to sink in. When you think about it, we don't know Ginny that much. Like Cho, she was developed off the pages. I would imagine it would be quite the same for R/Hr shippers if Ron all of the sudden liked Luna (although it wouldn't be a surprise to us R/L shippers ), because it would have been zero develop time.

So the problem isn't really with Ginny/Harry...it's more like JK gave Harry a female version of himself when you think about it. IMO, we don't need Ginny for a strong female character...I'm still good with Hermione.
Team Britney
Old 09-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I ship HG too, but one of the reasons I like HHr way more is because I could relate to Hermione. I don't have an emotional connection to Ginny as a character, at least not the same I have with Ron, Harry and Hermione, because JK always put her in backgroud and the readers never really felt anything about her.

I don't think she's a Mary Sue at all, and I don't think she's perfect, but it's much harder to relate to a girl who's popular, drop-dead gorgeous, witty, funny and gutsy. Hermione is awesome but her flaws show more (because she's been developing, along with Ron and Harry, since book 1), which makes her a more likeable character, and better suited for Harry
Old 09-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Addicted Fan

WORD.

Christian & Lyneatte
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top