Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Master Fan

Poster from the movie

not sure if this is real or not
Old 11-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Interesting. I kind of wish Josh was on the poster, but at least his name is on there.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Master Fan

Swank-y Dahlia

Swank-y Dahlia
Golden Globe nominee joins Ellroy pic.

December 14, 2004 - Variety reports that Oscar-winner Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby), who was nominated for two Golden Globes yesterday, will join the cast of The Black Dahlia as a femme fatale.

Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson are also attached to star for director Brian De Palma in the $30 million pic.

Josh Friedman penned the screenplay adaptation of the James Ellroy crime novel. Filming begins April 4th in Bulgaria.

The trade says Black Dahlia "revolves around two boxers-turned-cops investigating the brutal murder of Elizabeth Short, a crime that rocked 1940s Los Angeles. Swank's character is a dead ringer for the victim who became known as the Black Dahlia and proves a dangerous seductress to the cops."

Swank's credits include The Core and Boys Don't Cry.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/573/573180p1.html
Old 12-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Elite Fan

Not too big a fan of Hilary Swank, but perhaps this film will win me over.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

another bit about her joining the movie and a start date :D

SWANK TO PLAY DAHLIA FEMME
SHOOTING STARTS APRIL 4 IN BULGARIA
According to Variety, Oscar winner Hilary Swank "will play a femme fatale in The Black Dahlia, the Brian De Palma-directed adaptation of the James Ellroy novel." Swank has been getting a lot of buzz for her role in Clint Eastwood's upcoming Million Dollar Baby, and was nominated for two Golden Globe awards yesterday (Dahlia co-star Scarlett Johansson was nominated for a Golden Globe, as well, after being nominated for two of them last year). Swank will play Madeleine Sprague, who the Variety article (by Michael Fleming) describes as "a dead ringer for the victim who became known as the Black Dahlia and proves a dangerous seductress to the cops." One of those cops, Bucky, will be played by Josh Hartnett, while Johansson will play Kate. Fleming writes, "While Swank came to prominence playing boyish roles in Boys Don't Cry and the upcoming Million Dollar Baby, De Palma wants her to lead with her looks this time." Producer Art Linson, who De Palma worked with on The Untouchables and Casualties Of War, was quoted as saying, "This has shaped up to be a strong young cast with material and themes that play to Brian's strengths." With a budget "north of $30 million," the film will begin shooting April 4 in Bulgaria. Linson, Moshe Diamant, Rudy Cohen and Avi Lerner are the producers. The film is being financed by Lerner's Millennium Films and Diamant's Signature Pictures International.
http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/

i agree not here biggest fan but she can act i´ll give her that and she was in beverly hills 90210 so
Old 12-31-2004, 01:57 PM
Master Fan

FIVE 2005 FILMS I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING:

2. ``The Black Dahlia'': Brian De Palma (``Scarface,'' ``The Untouchables'') adapts James Ellroy's scabrous novel about the most famous real-life murder in Hollywood. With Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johansson and Hilary Swank.

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/movi...rticleid=61126

so the movie is getting some buzz
Old 01-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Master Fan

DAHLIA SET CONSTRUCTION UNDER WAY
According to an article today at RPP Noticias, Dante Ferretti's sets for The Black Dahlia are currently under construction at Nu Image's studio in Bulgaria. The article quotes the film's producers as saying that recent Golden Globe-winner Hilary Swank will arrive there at the beginning of April to begin work on the film, which she will star in along with Scarlett Johansson and Josh Hartnett.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the news, Elin. Looks like it may be a little while before the movie actually comes out then, huh?
Old 01-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Master Fan

SWANK BEAMS:
"I GET TO PLAY A FEMME FATALE"
The Hollywood Reporter today ran filmmakers' reactions to their Oscar nominations. Hilary Swank, who was nominated today for Best Actress for her role in Million Dollar Baby, said she woke up with "a bit of a jolt," but said she was just happy to be a working actor. The Reporter mentions that her next project will be Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia. "After playing two unvarnished characters who take a fair amount of onscreen licks," states the article, "Swank's enthusiasm for her next role beams straight through the phone: 'I get to play a femme fatale.'"

Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that. I don't care much for Hilary but maybe she will win me over in this film.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Master Fan

yup maybe, i´m hoping she´ll loose at the oscars though, kate winslet deserve that little golden fella called oscar
Old 01-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Passionate Fan

oh this sounds awesome I can't wait for it to come out!!
Old 02-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Master Fan

FERRETTI CONSTRUCTS 'LIES' FOR DAHLIA

Dante Ferretti has been hard at work in Sofia, Bulgaria these recent weeks constructing sets for Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia, which will begin shooting in April. Bulgarian newspaper 24 Hours published an interview with Ferretti on February 10, and it was kindly translated for us by Rado (also known as Space Ace-- Thanks, Space!). You can read the full translation here. The picture above accompanied the article (you can view the entire page here). It shows Ferretti in his office, with blueprints for his Black Dahlia set designs on the wall behind him. Last month, Ferretti received his seventh Oscar nomination, this time for his work on Martin Scorsese's The Aviator. When asked if he would win this time, Ferretti replied, "I don't know. One always hopes. Maybe the next time, with The Black Dahlia

"THE CAMERA LIES 24 FRAMES PER SECOND"

The article bills The Black Dahlia as the most expensive Hollywood production ever shot in Bulgaria so far, and states that by April, "the chip board imitations of whole streets and buildings from Los Angeles in the '40s must be ready." Ferretti discusses his mentor, Federico Fellini. "What I learned from him became my textbook," Ferretti told 24 Hours. "He was an incredible dreamer and liar. I'm thankful to him for teaching me how to lie convincingly. Because in the movie business, if you aren't a good liar, you'll simply perish." In a seperate interview a couple of weeks ago with Sorrisi, Ferretti directly linked what he learned from Fellini to his mammoth task for De Palma's film. "I must reconstruct the Los Angeles of the 1940s," he told Paolo Fiorelli. "In Bulgaria! Fortunately, Fellini has taught me that impossible enterprises do not exist. And I firmly believe this." In Ferretti, De Palma truly seems to have found a match for his conviction that "the camera lies 24 frames per second."

”CONTROVERSY”
The following article may contain minor spoilers, as it discusses casting descriptions for The Black Dahlia
Old 03-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Elite Fan

You know, thinking about it now, I think I am warming up to Hilary Swank, I'm actually intrested in seeing her in a movie with Josh.

Thanks for the news, Elin!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:56 AM
Master Fan

yeah i´ve nothing against hillary just thought annette should have won it back in 1999 and that kate should have won it this year other than that i can live with her.

In other news looks like filming will begin on the 14th of march so it´s all happening