Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

or s7

Pretty

KJS♥ first American Cesar winner
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

She did pretty much Season 7 though.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not when they kicked out.

Her face

Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh I thought you meant stood up for Spike.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

No I mean more for both of them.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I see.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

They're like a mirror turning away at the same time

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I love when Buffy rolls her eyes.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Me too Reminds of that gifset you posted

As weird as the sniffing thing is, I'm glad he found her because of it

Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah I posted it here on the last thread too.

It's a slayer/vamp thing.

Just like how they can feel each other.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I saved them all

It is

Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

In the fic I'm reading it's based in Season 5 and Spike is watching over Buffy outside her window and it comforts her.

It made me start thinking. Buffy must have always known he was there because her vamp senses and she knew when it was him.

Last edited by Jaime Bee; 01-16-2014 at 04:45 PM
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

tftnt! they always have some tensions between them in a scene.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep from the start.

I love Spuffy meta.

This really makes some great points.

woman of action

I didn’t write them to come together, they just fit. - Joss Whedon, on Buffy and Spike’s songs in “Once More With Feeling” (OMWF Commentary, BtVS Season 6 DVD set)

This moment on the commentary struck me especially strongly because it describes not only the relationship between Buffy and Spike in “OMWF”, but also their relationship in the entire show (taken from a meta-analysis standpoint). Some TV couples are made for each other, planned from the start. Destined. Whatever. Buffy and Spike most certainly were not; they found each other on their own.

Heck, Spike wasn’t even written to stay on the show. According to multiple sources (including the Season 2 DVD special features), Spike was supposed to have been killed off after a few episodes to make way for the threat of Angelus. Five seasons later, he finally kicks the bucket, only to reappear on the next season of Angel. That’s a little off-topic, though - my point is merely that Buffy and Spike weren’t “meant to be” by any stretch of the phrase.

The only thing Buffy and Spike were destined to be was enemies. Buffy, as the Slayer, had a sacred duty to dust him, and Spike, as the slayer of Slayers, had a sacrilegious duty to drain her dry. Their first shaky, reluctant alliances in seasons 2 and 4 seem to be mostly based on the idea that one of them should kill the other. After the finales of season 5 and 7, respectively, this is a darkly ironic concept, since they both go out in heroic sacrifices (…and come back).

Buffy and Spike weren’t supposed to have a grand, sweeping orchestral scores romance. That was reserved for Buffy and Angel. Even Spike and Drusilla, twisted as their romance was, had more rights to a happy ending than Buffy and Spike. When Giles is forced to witness their spell-induced smooching in 4x9 “Something Blue”, he only copes with reality by assuring himself that there is more scotch. Buffy and Spike are an impossibility.

And yet, they happen. Over and over again, they are drawn to each other, and even before Spike falls in love with Buffy they both exhibit a strange unwillingness to let the other one die. Even in 3x8 “Lovers Walk”, after their truce has clearly expired, Buffy lets Spike go without a second thought. We do not see this kind of behavior even with her human enemies - Buffy follows Faith all the way to LA in AtS 1x18 “Five By Five”, and Faith is only a deranged Slayer, not a vampire who has spent over a century murdering the innocent. Why? This is never adequately explained. After Spike is chipped in 4x7 “The Initiative”, Buffy’s mercy makes sense, but unrestrained, Spike supposedly was one of the most notorious vampires ever.

They weren’t made to be together. They were, in fact, made to be complete opposites - but they fit. We see this as early as 2x11 “What’s My Line? Part 2”.

SPIKE: I’d rather be fighting you [instead of Kendra], anyway.

BUFFY: Mutual.

Similarly, when they first work together, they become dependent on each other very quickly. In 2x22 “Becoming Part 2”, Buffy assures Xander that she won’t be going in alone. Despite her initial misgivings, Spike convinces her very quickly that he is serious about their alliance.

Even after Spike returns and attempts to kill Buffy in 4x3 “The Harsh Light of Day”, they fall back almost immediately into a sort of camaraderie. In 4x8 “Pangs”, he goes to the Scoobies when he has nowhere else to turn, and, while she hardly accepts him with open arms, her gentle smack on the top of his head seems more playful than belligerent. Buffy expresses disgust at the thought of her magically-induced love for Spike in 4x9 “Something Blue”, but she is still prepared to protect him from the Initiative until the halfway point of the season.

BUFFY: Why are you always around when I’m miserable?
SPIKE: Cause that’s when you’re alone, I reckon. I’m not much for crowds myself these days.
BUFFY: Me neither.
SPIKE:That works out nicely then.

(6x4, “Flooded”)

They fit. Somehow, some way, these character find their way to each other and make something happen. Whether it is teamwork, romance, hatred, playful banter, or raw sexuality, Buffy and Spike are always drawn to each other - not by any superficial devices of the writers, but seemingly of their own accord.

For the record, I think that’s kind of beautiful.