Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

Discussion: Where should SMG go from here?

So in everyone opinion, where should Sarah go from here? We see that she is in SD 2, but is this the path that she should be taking?

IMHO, I want to see her take on more serious, Oscar-worthy roles. Not because I think she needs an Oscar to prove what an amazing actress she is, but to prove to everyone who is now doubting her acting abilites that she is more than some teen actress.

I want her to really shine in a role and show her true acting abilites. We have all seen her abilities on Buffy. Just take the episode "The Body" and all should be understood.

So I guess what I am saying is that I hope SMG starts to work more towards more serious roles that will have her get truly recognized as a wonderful actress.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Master Fan

I totally agree. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I want her to do more mature, serious roles as well...she's done her share of kiddy and teen movies. Then she'll really be able to say she's done it all. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I know how she can get an Oscar - make herself look unrecognizable with some prosthetic make-up. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I did read somewhere a couple of weeks ago though, that she is going to be in a movie with a few pretty big actors...not quite the Brad Pitts or Tom Cruises, but I think it was James Woods and Ving Rhames or something like that.. I can't remember too much right now. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] But I'm sure there is something like that going on or something... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

But yeah, more serious roles with substance, please. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
The Grudge looks like it's a step in the right direction...

Buffy: "So you're going to be with me in this?"
Angel: "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
~ Chosen
Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Master Fan

I totally agree! I sincerely hope that SD2 is the last 'teen/child' movie she makes, and that she starts to choose her movies carefully. She has proven on more than one occasion what a capable actress she is, so I want to see her versatility and talent shine in roles that will really challenge her. I also agree that 'The Grudge' is a step in the right direction and I cannot wait to see this movie!
Michael: Guess what, I have flaws. What are they? Oh, I don't know. I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me. That is the opposite of the point that I'm trying to make.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Elite Fan

I really hope there won't be SD3 because it'a a total waste of her talent and she can do much better than that. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] She has done an amazing job in Cruel intentions although it's a teen movie and I'm sure she'll do even better in serious Oscar-worthy films. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I would really love to see Sarah take on some "serious" movie roles since we all know she will pull it off just great! Sarah has so much talent and it would be great to see that she did roles that really brings that out even more. I have loved her in every one of her roles and yes, I agree that in SD and SD2 she has a kid role but she is still showing her actress talent. I'm hoping The Grudge will be something completely different so we can see her play a character in a completely different way. Well, I'm happy as long as she is happy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2004, 04:37 AM
Supreme Fan

i think that she should maybe take on something that will show her talent. not many people watch buffy so they dont know what she can do.
i would like to see her do something we've never seen her do before. scooby is fine for 2 movies but i dont want her in scooby 3 cause like some have said sarah needs to be seen in other roles. and better ones not that i dont like scooby-doo but 3 is pushing it.
but what ever she does all watch cause i love her. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Absolute Fan

Discussion: Should Sarah have quit television acting for movies?

I do so love me some discussion.

This is sort of the burning question, isn't it? The sort that you wonder if SMG herself sometimes asks herself. When you make the jump from a well respected, close knit TV series to the great unknown of movies you have to question if it's better to stick to what's known, or take a risk.

Do you think she would have been better off sticking it out with Buffy for another year or so and done movies on the side, as she was? Or do you think it was time for her to move on?

Opinions!

Jacqui - Owner - Paul Wesley Australia
Email Me admin[at]paulwesleyaustralia[dot]com
Paul Wesley Australia | PWA on Twitter | Discussion Forum
Old 08-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, good question.

I think that it was time to move on. IMO BTVS was no longer the show it used to be. I think that it was not only time for her to move on, but for the show too.

As for movies, I'd say that she is pretty happy with her choice. The Grudge ended up having like the second highest earnings with a female lead. It was a big success world wide. She also has a lot of new projects in the line, so I think it may seem like she isn't doing much now, but I think there is something crazy like 8 movies set for release. A couple of indies, a rom com etc etc. So, I am excited to see how she does.

I think Buffy was a great show and I think Sarah was tremendous in it, but I think the last couple of seasons, the quality of the show just went south. I just got the impression from everyone, that it was time. The acting wasn't what it used to be, the scripts weren't. So, I think it was more than time.
Michael: Guess what, I have flaws. What are they? Oh, I don't know. I sing in the shower. Sometimes I spend too much time volunteering. Occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me. That is the opposite of the point that I'm trying to make.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Elite Fan

Good question!

I agree with wht Samii said.

I do think Buffy should have ended around Season 5..the last two seasons seemed to do a complete 360 from what the show used to be about. There were some fantastic episodes, but it couldn't own up to what the first 3 seasons and fifth season were.

I think with her upcoming releases, she will be in the public eye more. She has about 3-4 movies coming out in a quick span so it should end up getting her more publicity.

I do hope SMG gets a big project that just kind of cements her as a movie actress.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Supreme Fan

i miss buffy but i like seeing her in different things now different charaters so i think she made a good choice buffy had 7 years i think it was time to move on...
Old 08-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Absolute Fan

I guess I'm one who finds herself torn about it, I mean on the one hand I look at the type of roles she's done since Buffy and think that maybe she's done well and it was a positive thing, but then I find myself wondering if she isn't going to suffer a little bit from type casting like I think Alyson Hannigan has.

I watch How I Met Your Mother, and I just see Willow all over again.

It's hard, I think to disentangle a beloved character from future roles that same actor takes.

I agree that it was probably time for Sarah to try new things, but I can't help but wonder sometimes if Buffy had had it in it to make a recovery during a season 8.

Jacqui - Owner - Paul Wesley Australia
Email Me admin[at]paulwesleyaustralia[dot]com
Paul Wesley Australia | PWA on Twitter | Discussion Forum
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Master Fan

I honestly don't see how the show could have recovered. The characters were completely different to the ones that made the show such a hit, both with fans and critics alike. I think by the end of it, the show had just ran out of steam. I too agree that it probably should have ended in season 5. Once it moved to UPN it was never the same, Marti got control and the show just lost it's heart. What made it so awesome to begin with. Instead of witty interaction and plot lines, we had clunky dialogues and plot lines so trite and redundent. Instead of smart, subtle metaphors we had big, flashing neon signs. The show began speaking down to it's audience. I really kind of feel like the last couple of seasons tainted the show. Prior to those seasons it was an incredibly acclaimed show. Got a lot of credit for being smart, innovative and moving. By the end of it, it was just a different story. For me personally, when I watch the first few seasons of Buffy, I get so weirdly nostalgic. One part of me is completely caught up, totally loving it, totally marvelling at just how great a show it was - and the other half of me just gets very bitter about how my show ended up in the hands of an incompetent idiot who ran it into the ground.

I actually cringe to think how much worse the show could have gotten if it had gone on for another year!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Before or after Buffy?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

I agree with most everyone else is saying. Buffy was a great show and Sarah Michelle Gellar did an amazing job as the titled character. When Buffy moved to UPN, the show kinda went downhill. Some season long story arcs are good and then some are bad. I personally didn't like the season long story arc in season 7. Buffy could have ended after season 5 because it gave closure to her since she sacrificed herself to save her sister, friends, and the world. Then again, it kinda sucks when the main character of a tv show dies. Buffy would have sucked if it had had an 8th season. And from what I've read, Sarah Michelle Gellar grew tired of being Buffy and wanted to move on.

For he career's sake, she should probably stick to just making movies. I think she is too typecast when it comes to tv. In movies, it's a little different because she's played a hoebag bad girl in Cruel Intentions, Daphne in the Scooby Doo movies, and Karen in the Grudge.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Elite Fan

Having the show on UPN really did ruin it. Everything about the show changed, we lost Scooby scenes, and the show lost a lot of its heart in those seasons because the characters became unrecognizable in the dark turn