Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Master Fan

The Bijal & Eli Thread: Yeast is a fun word to say

Thread title comes from C.J. Cregg, just one of the many amusing (and true) remarks she's uttered over the past five years.

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited *bijal* ]
Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Elite Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I got all excited when I saw the new thread was started. Talk about...well, not what I expected.

Yeah, fill in the rest later. Remember, we want lots of cool piccies. :giggle:

And CJ most certainly has said lots of funny and true things over the years. I would know that, had I still been watching WW. But from the little I've seen, I can say that. Also, that link helped for the quotes I haven't heard. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I just came back from The Last Samurai. I'm on a serious Tom high now, and I'm busy wiping the drool away from my face. Tom with a samurai sword. Insanely sexy. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] Actually the movie was good too. I liked it, at least. And not just cause of Tom. It was all about honor and stuff like that, but I loved it. Sometimes I like **** like that. And the Samurais are so ****ing cool.

And I found a pretty funny thing the other day. At least I thought some of it was pretty funny. Just ignore that I found it at alias-media and that Jennifer Garner is mentioned in there. It's not about her.

How much free stuff does the average movie star get in a year? Allison Blanks, Portsmouth, Virginia

A.B. Replies: Let's do an easy answer first, in case you're late for your shift at Pizza Hut. The value of free gifts received by a single celeb in a year outstrips the worth of your mom's entire Precious Moments figurine collection by about, gee, I don't know, a factor of 13,000.

The more involved answer: Even minor celebs get tens of thousands of dollars in free clothing, transportation, food, cosmetics and jewelry every single year. Just for being, say, Rene Russo.

An A-lister--your Nicole Kidman, your P. Diddy--gets more than $100,000 in unsolicited gifts annually. Right, like they need it...or even appreciate it. Sometimes, the stars send thank-you notes to the companies who gift them. Most often, they don't and just pass the designer goodies on to their assistants and whiny little sisters.

The strategy behind the swag train goes like this: Designers hope stars will slap free gear all over their fabulous, famous bods and get photographed in it next time they emerge from their gated clouds. With luck, some fashion editor will declare the togs a must-have or best-get or what-have-you, spurring a veritable Ziegfield Follies of buying among lemmings like the rest of us.

Just what kind of loot are we talking about? Consider:

• During her recent trip to Sundance in Park City, Utah, Demi Moore spotted a Mia & Co. diamond necklace on display, worth about $6,000. She told the jewelry reps she liked it, and they gave it to her, a company rep tells Answer B!tch.

• Jennifer Garner, Heather Locklear, Ashley Judd and other mid-rangers get close to $15,000 a year in designer clothes from one publicist alone--Liz Dennery Marks, who represents underwear maker Underglam and Beverly Hills beauty maven Anastasia, among others. Multiply that by the thousands of people who do what Liz does, and the dollar values stack up.

• Other stars get presents just for showing up to work. Each cast member of Lifetime's The Division got a $500 Invicta watch. These production-start and that's-a-wrap favors are de rigueur in the Biz, so sayeth Lash Fary, the guy who arranged the prezzies for the Division cast.

And there's no reason not to believe him. He's a professional gift buyer for producers, actors and others who are--honestly, seriously, no offense here--far more important than you.

All of this doesn't even include gift baskets, those bundles stars get every time they present at an awards show or charity event. The value of one of those goodie bags could send you and about nine of your friends to that community college you've had your eye on for two whole years.

Ah, to be rich and famous and be a Hollywood star. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Master Fan

That is so sick, all that stuff they get and for what, really? There's no point to it, it's just shameless ass-kissing at its best. It's disgusting. What a waste of money. The combined worth of all those times could feel several third-world countries and could fix this country's deficit and Social Security problem. God, the injustice of it all just pisses me off. It's so nice to live in such a *****ed up society that has all its priorities straight. As if the non-stop objectification of women and a disturbing and damaging obsession with body image wasn't enough to keep the industry busy.

[/rant]

I'm supposed to find pictues, now, of these celebrities who receive thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of free goods? God help me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 02-07-2004: Message edited *bijal* ]
Old 02-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Master Fan

Yay! New thread!

It kills me that the celebs get all those free things. Wonder who started it all [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Eli, The Last Samurai was good! I was surprised that they had Tom speak a lot of Japanese. It was funny because I watched it with my mom and of course during those parts, they had Thai subtitles, not English. So my mom had no idea what was going on half the time [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'm the only one in my family who can read Thai [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Elite Fan

Ohh, I didn't see the image in the opening post last night. Or did you add it later? Hee, it's cool.

Of course, you are absolutely right about the freebies, Bijal. Personally I've stopped caring a long time about about how unfair it is that these Hollywood people get all there is to get of money, gifts, glamour and whatnot. It's almost fascinating to see how that business works. The article was funny at least, with the whiny little sisters and the community college for you and nine of your friends.

Yup, and now it's time to find pictures of these celebs that you can't stand right this second. But you know you love them. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Aw, so you had to translate for her, Pea? Yeah, there was lots of Japanese talking from Tom. Pretty cool, hee. I liked the dude playing Katsumoto. He was sort of sexy. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] There was something powerful over him.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Master Fan

Eli, one of my fav scenes was when they first fought the Samurais. Since we are talking about sexy.. heh.. the Japanese woman was beautiful! I loved how they were just so aware of each other.

I just finished reading "Victoria Beckham: learning to fly" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] It was pretty entertaining and it was on sale. I bought it for a couple of bucks. While reading, half the time I was rolling my eyes and going "yeah right" and the other half, I was shaking my fist at the media saying, "leave these pretty people alone!"
Just started Colleen McCullough's "The Song of Troy". However, my fav CM book will always be "The Thorn Birds".

BTW, love the pic in the opening post.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Elite Fan

The Samurais were like real wariors. Awesome. And yeah, that was really cool. All the fight scenes were cool, hee.

A few pics at a time. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] The opening post gets more and more developed. Who is that girl, though? What? I'm sorry, but I don't know. You better put my people in there as well. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Master Fan

Eh, I give up. I'm tired of pictures of the same old people, but too lazy to go all over the Internet to find new people and then deal with pics that don't show up. Just post your own pics of your own people whenever you feel like.

That was Maggie Gyllenhaal. If you haven't seen her film Secretary, I suggest you run to the nearest video store. One of the best movies I've ever seen, and completely unforgettable.

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited *bijal* ]
Old 02-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Elite Fan

Nah, just forget it then.

I've heard the name before, but don't think I've seen her in anything. That is, she was in 40 days and 40 nights, so apparently I've seen her. I just didn't know it. She disappeared again, btw. Why did you take her away?

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited Eliii ]
Old 02-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

I took her away because she was being bad. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] No, the pics weren't showing up again and then they were and then they weren't, so it was easier to take them away.

Back to reading and a movie. Shouldn't you be studying property? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Elite Fan

Don't even get me started on celebs and all the stupid stuff they get. I just don't understand how celebrities, musicians, athletes, make tons more money than firefighters, doctors, teachers, etc --> people who actually make a difference. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

I got a new avatar from Rachel Bilson's Bongo Ad.

<-- jealous of Rachel Bilson [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I've given in and am looking at some Alias promotional pictures for upcoming episodes. One week left. One week left.

Eli: I saw the new preview for Alias too. It looks like it's going to get good. Except, did you catch McKenas Cole in the preview? I'm very excited for his return. "The Box" (both parts) is one of my favorite episodes. He's such a bad-ass. He'll spice things up.

Okay, another Alias-centered rant. I just found out..once next week airs, it goes away for 2 weeks, comes back March 7th and 14th and possibly another break. What happened to Feb. sweeps?! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited CutieKatie ]
Old 02-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Elite Fan

So she was playing hide and seek then? Ah, that Maggie. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by *bijal*:
<STRONG>Shouldn't you be studying property? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Shouldn't you not stick your tongue out to poor Eli who has to do this stupid home exam? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Yes, and I am. But I need breaks. I'm so sick of this exam that I can't wait to turn it in on Tuesday. I just want it out. Of. My. Head.

Heh, I'm happy with all the new promo pictures as well, Katie. I don't read spoilers, but I eat promo pictures and trailers like candy. Yes, I saw Tarrantino. Personally I think he's annoying, so I'm not overly excited about that. He has a horribly annoying voice and his eyes makes him look like a fish. After Pulp Fiction (which is a masterpiece of a movie) he's just crap to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by CutieKatie:
<STRONG>What happened to Feb. sweeps?!</STRONG>
Good question. I've wondered myself. I think it just ended up like that. With the Superbowl and something else another Sunday, the timing was really bad and there was no point in showing Alias. I read something that sounded something like that somewhere. Not that I'm sure that's the case.

Okay, who is this Rachel Bilson and why are so many people all keen on her these days?? Nice avie, though. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and your sig is so cool. I love Syd with an attitude and it's always fun to watch her and Sark together. Hee. :giggle:

Old 02-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Elite Fan

His voice is kind of annoying, but I actually like it suprisingly. It sets him apart. So that was him in "Full Disclosure." I think it's safe to say I knew it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rachel Bilson plays Summer Roberts on "The O.C". She rocks. 'Nuff said. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I adore my siggy too. I already have my next avatar lined up for when I'm done using this one. It's a Sark one. *sigh* It's a wonderful avatar.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, it was easy to recognize his voice in Full Disclosure.

I've never seen the O.C, so that's probably why I don't know who she is then.

Ohh, that'll be interesting. Can't wait for Sark to grace your, um, poster thingy.

Bijal? Does Suprnova work for you? I mean, it loads and all, but it doesn't load the torrents. Been like that for a while now.

Aw, Pea, look.

The more I think about this movie the more I realise how much I loved it.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Master Fan

Sark...mmmmm. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]

I've only seen season one, which I own on DVD. I'm trying not to spoil myself for the next season. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I think the s2 boxset is out here in June/July...hurry up I say, I want more Sark!!

David Anders is so hott.

Ach. I'm so tired. I've worked a total of 22 hours this weekened at work, so bed calls me, considering I had an 8am start and a 5pm finish today.

[img]smilies/yawn.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Leeann
xx

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited Cici-inator ]